remapped cr vrs 0 to 60

ah, 2nd gear launch. Yeh if you have a small turbod car and dont mind (the risk of) frying the clutch 2nd gear launches are much faster. 

I tried a few in my ST and it was quicker than using first, both for the launch, additional traction and skipping a change. But the clutch didnt like it at all!!

• Like 1

oh and im not having a dig at anyone with my post in case it comes across like that, im just sharing my findings of performance testing cars. 

Its a really interesting subject and more complicated than simply X is so fast!!

J

• Like 1

Have we found an actual time for the Octy mk2 170 CR when it's mapped?

It'd be interesting to see the difference with the Yeti which is the same mechanically other than four wheel drive.

My 170 is officially 8.4 before mapping.  I'll have to run some tests. :)

My Ibiza TDi is slow to 100mph really, but fast to 60mph because the car launches so well.

0-60mph in 5.0 seconds

0-100mph in 13.3(ish) (guess)

Is my PB.

As above its in the launch, as my PB 0-60ft time is 2.03 seconds on normal road tyres too.

220hp with about 100KG's of weight taking out over book figure.

And how were these measured?

Times appear very very optimistic to me.

DSG or an auto will indeed muller a manual.

The difference is much bigger than you see on professional reviews or manufacturer brochures as we are much more careful with our own cars and wont shift a manual anything like as fast as a press test. Where the auto will change just as fast whoever is driving it.

Ive found an auto will shift 0.3 to 0.4 seconds faster than a manual. (clutch, swap, clutch, turbo lag...). So thru the gears they are hard to beat.

Or it doesnt have enough traction ;)

Its all part and parcal of how effective a car can be. As with the S4 example, itll launch consistently and quick, its no reason to discount 0-60 it just says it launches well and has good traction. If im judging a cars performance i wont pick speed increments that suit the car i like, you have to break it up into bits as between 0 and vmax there are a heap of different ways to test and each one can see one car better than the other.

Even things like when you choose to change gear can totally alter the outcome of a thru the gears test.

5.0 to 60 in a 220bhp fwd is very quick. Fastest ive ever seen is 4.8 in a fwd car of that sort of bhp/ton on road tyres and that was by one of the best standing starters in the country. Best ive done myself is 5.8 with that spec.

Absolutely! Anything more than what the boggo standard suspension can handle would be too much for my license, it's already quick enough. Deep down though I know you can't have too much power....

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And how were these measured?

Times appear very very optimistic to me.

My imagination :P

Or official timing gear one of the two ....

It seems theresults.co.uk have taken down results from previous years other than 2012....

Abit of hunting however ;)

Just over half way down for both 0-60mph and SQM.

http://www.theresults.co.uk/theresults/Results/2009/Motorsport/GTIInternational_0628_0to60.pdf

http://www.theresults.co.uk/theresults/Results/2009/Motorsport/GTIInternational_0628_qtrm.pdf

Might try the old stop watch on my phone to get more accurate readings ;)

My imagination :p

Or official timing gear one of the two ....

It seems theresults.co.uk have taken down results from previous years other than 2012....

Abit of hunting however ;)

Just over half way down for both 0-60mph and SQM.

http://www.theresults.co.uk/theresults/Results/2009/Motorsport/GTIInternational_0628_0to60.pdf

http://www.theresults.co.uk/theresults/Results/2009/Motorsport/GTIInternational_0628_qtrm.pdf

Might try the old stop watch on my phone to get more accurate readings ;)

Thise results say very little, for a start its impossible to identify the make and model of any of the cars and also impossible to identify exactly what mods these cars have.

I still dont believe the posted remap 0-60 and 0-100 times though,  220hp is nowhere near enough power to get those times in a fairly heavy front wheel drive car.

Based on what?

Little unsure why anyone would lie about something as simple as this. I of course have results from both Santa Pod and Shakespeare Race Way too with very similar SQM and some seriously decent 0-60ft and 330ft times too. But of course due to it just being a image of a result, it doesn't also including the car in question with a full spec at the side and what I had for breakfast. Doh!

Anyway, this is so far off topic I am going to apologise to the OP. If you would like to post in in general car chat asking if a fwd PD130 Ibiza on road tyres can run any where near my times feel free :)

Based on what?

Little unsure why anyone would lie about something as simple as this. I of course have results from both Santa Pod and Shakespeare Race Way too with very similar SQM and some seriously decent 0-60ft and 330ft times too. But of course due to it just being a image of a result, it doesn't also including the car in question with a full spec at the side and what I had for breakfast. Doh!

Anyway, this is so far off topic I am going to apologise to the OP. If you would like to post in in general car chat asking if a fwd PD130 Ibiza on road tyres can run any where near my times feel free :)

The laws of Physics.

Please scan in your doctorate in physics and the equation you are using then poppa smurf. 

I don't really see why you feel the need to argue the point really? It doesn't effect your life in the slightest, it certainly isn't specific to this topic (apologies OP!) and when you were given the details you deny those too. Including another member saying its all above board?

I think its fair to say over the years a lot of people have seen my car, its spec and my driving and know what it can and cannot do. It did what it did, I have ran at different times of year, at different events and seen very similar results (within .2 seconds over a SQM) so sorry it might be worth asking for a refund from Kellogg's.

• Like 1

170 CR's IMO really are not that great off the mark, short power band, gearing and traction in anything other than bone dry conditions make it quite difficult to launch.

I think DSG's are probably even worse than manual cars from a standing start, find mine slips the clutch and lags,takes a good second or so from a standstill for it to get a giddy-on, perhaps makes some time back in quicker gear changes?

I think a standard car could probably just about break 8 seconds to 60 (maybe 8 secs dead to 62/100km), its how they go once at decent speeds is the impressive part, the 170 pulls like a train in the higher gears, with DSG rarely will change out of 6th of its own accord. They never feel particularly fast but i think thats more to do with the linear power delivery.

I reckon a decent remap giving a car perhaps 35/40 more hp would reduce its 0-60 by perhaps half a second, probably making it an early/mid 7 car.

Edited by pipsyp

170 CR's IMO really are not that great off the mark, short power band, gearing and traction in anything other than bone dry conditions make it quite difficult to launch.

I think DSG's are probably even worse than manual cars from a standing start, find mine slips the clutch and lags,takes a good second or so from a standstill for it to get a giddy-on, perhaps makes some time back in quicker gear changes?

I think a standard car could probably just about break 8 seconds to 60 (maybe 8 secs dead to 62/100km), its how they go once at decent speeds is the impressive part, the 170 pulls like a train in the higher gears, with DSG rarely will change out of 6th of its own accord. They never feel particularly fast but i think thats more to do with the linear power delivery.

I reckon a decent remap giving a car perhaps 35/40 more hp would reduce its 0-60 by perhaps half a second, probably making it an early/mid 7 car.

mine is standard. Dsg is better as it has launch control and a perfect change every time hence my much better than book figures.

Jrw youve run 6.98 in yours havent you? I have a CR 170 DSG Combi, i have tried launch just the once but didnt seem much more manic than burying the throttle in drive, probably a nack to it to be fair.

But book figures with dsg are book figures with dsg so not sure how you could significantly beat them by using the same dsg the book figures were achieved with? Unless of course std cars are putting out a bit more power than quoted, which vag cars allegedly do.

But book figures with dsg are book figures with dsg so not sure how you could significantly beat them by using the same dsg the book figures were achieved with? Unless of course std cars are putting out a bit more power than quoted, which vag cars allegedly do.

launch control

They clearly test without launch control. Same story with the likes of the r32.

Jrw youve run 6.98 in yours havent you? I have a CR 170 DSG Combi, i have tried launch just the once but didnt seem much more manic than burying the throttle in drive, probably a nack to it to be fair.

that's right

Yes there certainly is a nack to it. Sometimes it doesn't seem to work.

launch control

They clearly test without launch control. Same story with the likes of the r32.

How do you know this? It would make no sense for them to do this because they would want to portray their product in as good a light as possible.

How do you know this? It would make no sense for them to do this because they would want to portray their product in as good a light as possible.

ever wondered why vag group cars have cheaper insurance than most?

Ever wonder why vag group cars always test at a higher bhp than book?

They won't test with launch control anyway as it's not a feature listed in the hand book. It was listed in the golf hand book for a few months when launched, then removed. Presumably because of the stress to the gearbox. Personally I've used it a handful of times. And it serves a purpose for tests like this, that's about it.

I'm fairly sure all european VAG wet clutch DSG equipped cars with 170ps or more have the launch control feature, I think by default both petrol and diesel vRS cars with DSG therefore have it, whether Skoda intended for this to happen or it was a byproduct of sticking all the parts together and it working I do not know.

I believe alot of US cars had launch control coded out for some reason, not sure why.