Bye Bye Vrs

I haven't read through all of the posts on this topic but I just wanted to add that I also, after 3 fun filled and enjoyable years of Skoda ownership, will be parting with my Vrs :(  I'm actually a little upset but come June, I will be the proud owner of a Fiesta ST3 with Mountune upgrade :) I am a little bit excited but at the same time, somewhat upset that i'll be bidding fairwell to my Fabia.

Same as mine.

I got my ST3 late in April and it was Mountuned in early May.

Quite simply it's the best handling hot hatch I've come across and is a fun drive.

I'm very impressed.

Niiiice, I'm sure you'll love the Fez ST!

I do.  As much as I am actually not a Ford fan at all typically, but Skoda just don't make anything that can hold a candle to it unless you need a five door/estate in which case your options are limited.

Oh, and/or need an automatic.

I can't help but be amazed at the popularity of the fiesta. I've driven a couple, in fact we have one in work that I drive regularly, and yes, ride and handling are significantly better than the fabia, and it is a handsome car, but the steering feels very artificial (very little feel), gearshift is rubbery and the brakes are way over-assisted.

For what is praised as a really good driver's car by the ("allegedly" honest) press, I am very underwhelmed by it. Please note I haven't driven the ST though, just comparing a normal fiesta to a normal fabia.

Am I alone in thinking that? Or is it just the good looks and hefty discounts from ford that sell sooo many fiestas?

I'd suggest an extended test drive of an ST and give it a bit of a thrash.

It doesn't feel like a normal Fiesta to me.

In terms of discounts, you can get around £3,500 off.  Bringing a very well specced ST3 with bluetooth, sat-nav, heated screen, keyless start and entry, powerfold mirrors, digital climate control etc... for just a bit more than a Fabia VRS.  Thousands cheaper than a Fabia of the same spec, despite it being a better set up (but less practical) car.

I dont like them, seen a few in the flesh round here ... I would rather have my vRS .

I wasn't set on the looks either, but you get used to what you drive.

No different to some Skodas.

Familiarity and all that.

Way better drivers car though.

• Like 1

Reasonably gently most of the time bearing in mind it had already done 3000 miles when I got it with one some blasts to ensure it still moved when required. Some trips over 50mpg averaging around 35mpg around town which is where it spends most of its time. Had checked the oil level about 3 weeks before the warning light and was about half way down at that point. Put 0.5L in FTB whilst I start battling with them again. Got the standard SKODA response that this is normal. It may be normal to them but its not acceptable which is why I ended up with the replacement car

You can get a ST-3 with metallic (8,000 miles p.a.) for £208 per month for 24 months. £1,040 up front. £6,032 total cost for 24 months. £3k p.a. is less than the depreciation on a vrs I would suggest.

Richard, I assume you wouldn't need to add (m)any options to the ST-3 version to be v. happy with it?

If my wife could drive 'stick' the vrs would be up for sale today.

People bought Mk2 vRS in 2010-2011, @ around £15,000 and got between £9,000 - £10500 in Trade in or sale 3 years later.

so £6,000 - £5,000 depreciation, some got better deals than others.

Those that keep 1-2 years might accept silly offers and lose lots, 

but that is true with most cars, bought new and changed early.

You can buy Demonstrator or Pre Registered MK2 vRS Fabias for below £13,500 at Skoda Dealers right now.

So less now than people were buying them for 3-4 years ago.

Some might think they will depreciate too much, 

but keep it for 5 years, and its pretty cheap motoring with a 5 door Automatic Hatch with a minimum 177 bhp.

• Like 1

Agreed George, spread the cost and it's not too bad.

Obviously wise not to add too much in the way of options as dealers pretty much discount them at trade in time.

You can get a ST-3 with metallic (8,000 miles p.a.) for £208 per month for 24 months. £1,040 up front. £6,032 total cost for 24 months. £3k p.a. is less than the depreciation on a vrs I would suggest.
Richard, I assume you wouldn't need to add (m)any options to the ST-3 version to be v. happy with it?

I only added the spare wheel and rear parking sensors.

Everything else is included in the spec of the 3.  So you are not writing off several thousand pounds of optional extras come trade in time.

Mine was £18k with (on the PCP option) a trade in around £11,000 after 36 months. (list £20-21k)

But you have to remember that's a car with sat-nav, bluetooth, heated Recaros, heated screen, keyless entry and start, powerfolding mirrors, digital climate control, DAB radio etc...

Didn't seem too bad for the spec and the fact it's a Ford.

I suspect thier decision to do a 1,2, and 3 spec of the ST helps used values.  Less "speccing up".

If only they did a five door like they do in the USA, it'd be pretty much perfect IMO.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...