Dash Cams

YouTube and search for Techmoan - he reviews all the various pieces of kit and you've got the videos so you can see for yourself what quality you're paying for.

Funnily enough i had watched one of his reviews on the Blackvue DRG500GW HD, i have never seen the need to own one before now, but i guess in case of an accident  it's always good to have, as long as it's not my fault :)

• Like 1

Funnily enough i had watched one of his reviews on the Blackvue DRG500GW HD, i have never seen the need to own one before now, but i guess in case of an accident  it's always good to have, as long as it's not my fault :)

Think of it as an extension to insurance.  If you buy through www.policewitness.com you get added benefits if one of the brakecheck scammers tries it on.

You can get one for £13 from EBay. My dad has started using one. Starts recording automatically when you start the engine. Uses SD card I think. Don't waste your money in anything expensive.

You can get one for £13 from EBay. My dad has started using one. Starts recording automatically when you start the engine. Uses SD card I think. Don't waste your money in anything expensive.

What's the quality like on the recordings?

I can imagine nothing more frustrating than a video that clearly shows you weren't at fault, but then fails to get a clear enough picture of the other car's registration.

For £13 you can't expect too much but if its anything half decent, I might consider it myself

Footage is inadmissable as evidence.......the scrotes brief will rip your video to shreds.

Far more prudent to invest a larger one-off sum in something you can present to magistrates.

Apologies if I'm way off the mark here, but if some Octavias have a camera fitted (traffic signal recognition) along with SD cards and an HDD, couldn't this be used with appropriate software to act as a dash cam?

Footage is inadmissable as evidence.......the scrotes brief will rip your video to shreds.

I wouldn’t count on that... there must be a valid financial reason why our company (amongst many others) have fitted the whole fleet of trucks out with them, they would not have spent many thousands of pounds for no reason at all.

I wouldn’t count on that... there must be a valid financial reason why our company (amongst many others) have fitted the whole fleet of trucks out with them, they would not have spent many thousands of pounds for no reason at all.

If they've fitted the fleet with Roadhawks or Blackvues then they're safe........I was referring to non-branded Chinese imports that you can indeed pick up for £13 on FleaBay.

Sorry if my post implied otherwise.

• Like 1

They went down the route of the ‘smart witness’ ... nowhere near as good (not adjustable) as the Blackvue IMO but they have a lockable cover to stop the SD card from being removed.

Those are fine and will stand up in court.......just bear in mind there might be issues with heated front screens (as per the VRS diesel option).

Not sure I'd want to be affixing anything to a screen with filaments in.......nice to have a dashboard-fix option.

Needs to be time and date stamped footage to be of any use iirc

Nope, it doesn't.

If someone does the usual staged accident thing where they swerve in front and then stand on the brakes, a video that clearly shows their vehicle and what it's done is very handy, date stamped or not.

They aren't going to be able to convince people that you've somehow created a CGI fake.

I have started using a dash cam I picked up from eBay for £16 slimline with folding screen It's great for the money with good quality pictures, date stamp and easy to use. Not sure of the make although it's obviously Chinese. I use it to capture the idiots on my commute from Cardiff to Bristol along the M4.

I note the comment about heated screens I will have to check when my new vrs TSI with heated screen turns up in Dec.