Cracking price satnav

vRSAnt

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't bump this thread again until at the very least they are back down to £350 please :rofl:

Haha I was thinking the same. I am going to get a new unit this weekend but this is too expensive.

I'm torn between Kenwood DDX6023BT and JVC KW-AV71BT.

My local halfords are/were doing the Pioneer SPH-DA110 App radio at half price, 299.99

I thought this was a fair price?

Yea I saw that on Halfords online but it doesn't have a CD/DVD input which out me off a bit.

Those app radios seem very limited to me too....otherwise I'd have bought one - so I second/third on that point

If they can go to the effort of integrating phone app stuff with car radio at that price -

for godsakes just sell a cheaper standard unit/android driven or something so we don't HAVE to link to the phone !

Plus its encouraging people to be distracted by their phones !!! Car specific radios have drivers in mind. Those app radios are bloody useless for that point alone.

• 4 weeks later...

The unit linked in the op has navigation included which is why it's more than your sony unit.

My Pioneer DA110 is all on screen (£299.99 @ Halfords) but there are apps to make life easier. If you can mirror link and have an iPod/iPhone Stezza is a good app. It basically gives you big onscreen buttons instead of small ones that would be hard to operate whilst driving.

I'd much rather take fully working/ non phone dependent Radios.

What happens if you are navigating then your phone suddenly loses battery etc ? Will you be prepared to lose control and crash cos you are busy faffing about with connections etc ? Or have to pull over if you take the safer option ? The whole point of the seamless radios is they are effortless, purposeful, designed to be ready to go, whilst I'm not advocating doing it on the move I bet its a fair sight easier.

If I changed to a double din its cos I want an easier life - not harder.

Its like comparing a blu ray player to trying to play videos on 1channel through your android phone hooked to your telly streaming video over wifi. Yes the second is possible but the first is a hell of a lot easier, and less likely to go wrong and manage.

Well done though for the effort you put in getting yours working though. I'd still favour one of these over any kind of "app" radio which is kind of a midrange to budget option when compared to fully purposed radios in my opinion which is why I'd rather get even a 2nd hand one than an app radio personally.

I'd much rather take fully working/ non phone dependent Radios.

What happens if you are navigating then your phone suddenly loses battery etc ? Will you be prepared to lose control and crash cos you are busy faffing about with connections etc ? Or have to pull over if you take the safer option ? The whole point of the seamless radios is they are effortless, purposeful, designed to be ready to go, whilst I'm not advocating doing it on the move I bet its a fair sight easier.

If I changed to a double din its cos I want an easier life - not harder.

Its like comparing a blu ray player to trying to play videos on 1channel through your android phone hooked to your telly streaming video over wifi. Yes the second is possible but the first is a hell of a lot easier, and less likely to go wrong and manage.

Well done though for the effort you put in getting yours working though. I'd still favour one of these over any kind of "app" radio which is kind of a midrange to budget option when compared to fully purposed radios in my opinion which is why I'd rather get even a 2nd hand one than an app radio personally.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Just for the record the likelihood that the phone will lose battery is Zero. The phone is plugged in via HDMI and charges via the Lightening Adaptor. So that scenario would never come into play.

I too would probably prefer a purpose built navi unit. But I don't have £600 to spend on a decent one.

Also my unit allows me to use apple maps, Nav Free or Google maps. And as I have used Apple maps multiple times for long journeys, it's nice to be able to use that interface on a bigger scale on the Headunit Screen. I know exactly how to use Apple maps and it takes me seconds to input my destination. I can also use Siri to select my destination, eg "give me directions to mum" and it will pop up with my mums address straight away and select my routes.

Mine has cost me £350 all in. Which is a bargain for a unit with compatible sat nav functions.

It would also leave me with £250 that would get me a Shark Stage 1 Map and probably pay for my petrol to Mansfield and back.

I know which is rather do!

I see your perspective on some of this but this thread was started by me for such a satnav that was available at the time for £350 NOT £600! Bluetooth and satnav fully integrated. Its now £400.

I think the integrated to phone has its benefits. But I'd trade the flexibility that offers for the more improved stability (and roadsafety due to lack of faffing about with devices) you get with a built in HU personally.