Are there too many options?

Toyota quoted three and a half weeks from order to delivery for a Auris touring Excel that could only have four factory options added to it and then a big list of accessories

Skoda quoted 12 to 14 weeks for a car that could have I think 30 factory options added to it

Should Skoda reduce the number of options,  provide a more standardised car and then increase the dealer accessories?

Skoda UK already limit the options too much imo! Personally id rather get the car I want even if it means a little longer to wait. Theres more than just the options list that contributes to build times also. :)

• Like 1

Don't see the benefit of duel zone climate myself in a car the size of the Octavia, after 4 years with the system in Yeti's I've rarely used it. Would be quite happy to see it ditched as a standard option on the SE and have more useful kit such as cruise control replace it.

TP

VAG in general have what I consider too many options, not enough of the stuff as standard. Yes, this will result in long lead times as each car will be 'unique'. It makes buying on a the used market a nightmare, plus when trading in you lose all the extra value you paid for.

Compare that to something like Kia, where you have no options other than the colour and spec level (and they can be fantastically well equipped at the top) who can probably pull one out of the pool for you very quickly and don't mislead you on the price. Plus its easier to compare different used cars.

I would much prefer this simpler model. Sometimes less is more.

I'm also going to take this opportunity to moan that a lot of standard kit on the Octavia II 4x4 is now a pay for option on the Octavia III 4x4 (I think I counted 9 items you have to tick) boosting the like-for-like price considerably.

cruise is a must - this should be standard and it's just stupid that it's an extra that needs ordered.

Yep, a perfect example. You even have to add it to numerous Audi's at a disproportionally high price. Also safety stuff like ESP, airbags etc shouldn't really be options.

I think the problem is if they cut down the options list they would then have to include a number of extra things as standard and then the price would increase such that it would be approaching the premium end of the market.

With the amount of automation involved you would expect a 21st century manufacturing plant to be able to hand these sorts of changes without too much problem.

There are obviously lots of things they could do which would also speed it up like having common wiring looms but this also costs more. There seemed to be a phase when this was becoming more common i.e. the wiring for the heated seats were all there bar the stuff in the seat but its gone back to the you only get cables what you need which while on raw costs will be cheaper means a lot more messing around.

Keeping the spec more simple keeps the price down.

Look at the L&K when it came out, it was about £2,000 more than an Elegance but had over £3,000 of extra kit.

Optional extras are a good money spinner.

A well equipped Skoda loaded with the extras would be too close to a VW (or more expensive) so would not make sense to VAG in my opinion.

Keeping the spec more simple keeps the price down.

Look at the L&K when it came out, it was about £2,000 more than an Elegance but had over £3,000 of extra kit.

I'm not sure that example proves anything.

While the L&K is cheaper it does not mean the cost of making it is any cheaper than as options. I would put my money on them taking a lower profit margin on the options included in the L&K in the hope to up sell more people to the more expensive car than the car is actually cheaper to manufacture

In other sectors the big profits come form up sales, i.e. options.

I just think the options have been used to mask the true cost of the car. A lot of people buy a car based on a budget and then will break it juts to add one or two options - me included oh it's at 0% over 3 years less than a £1 a day.

+1 on the above from Bossfox. IMO it's a delberate ploy by SUK to keep the base price low compared to the competition and to try and keep the step in cost between the mkII and mkIII lower than what it would be if they provided the kit that people would like as standard. That way any prospective buyer is already on the hook before they start on the options list and SUK then make more prophit as a result. I wonder though if having fewer options available would reduce the build time as the japanese are very good at parts logistics and using computer technology so not sure if Skoda are in a similar position?

There's advantages and disadvantages to either side though.

A lot of the Japanese cars come with fixed spec and no options which makes it easier for them to manage the very long delivery times to Europe - Mazda, Toyota and Suzuki are a couple that I looked at.

That certainly makes pricing up your car a lot easier if there's only three trim levels and a colour to pick, but if they don't get these standard specs correct it puts off a lot of buyers.

Look at the CX5 for example - a car that I really liked and could have bought, had they done the vehicle I wanted.

Originally there was a choice of SE-L or Sport. Paying the extra got you full leather with heated seats, a BOSE stereo and bigger wheels plus a few other bits and pieces. I only wanted the first two of those, and 19" wheels were actively discouraging me. More importantly, neither a sunroof or a DAB radio were available at all so I didn't buy one.

Now they've introduced an SE-L Lux which has a sunroof as standard. Sounds great as it also includes the leather interior but keeps the smaller wheels. Almost ideal for me, but it only has the standard stereo which I would have wanted (and still no DAB). Because of their fixed spec it's not possible to get the car I would like and it cost them a sale.

For me, it adds to the fun of buying a new vehicle having a list of factory fitted options to choose from. The various combinations provides the buyer with a sense of personalised design.

It's a worthy Skodaism  :sun:

Oink

You can never have enough options! :-)

But seriously, I understand why manufacturers do it, means they can keep the base cost lower, then you pay to make the car your own, they don't have to factor it in to any future values and as a buyer if buying on a lease/pcp etc you have to cover the complete cost of the option as opposed to the manufacturer having to do it, so I understand that.

My issue is where Skoda have fallen down this time is that they have added certain 'toys' in as standard items and removed certain things from standard to option, and this has backfired on them in effect, it means that the vast majority of cars have become factory orders as opposed to be able to supply from 'UK Stock' etc whilst that might mean Skoda don't have cars sitting around costing them money, it also means that customers are having to wait 12 weeks or possibly more depending on what options you have selected, so they end up with potentially upset customers from having to wait excessive (in my opinion) lead times.

However, on the other hand, my wife bought a Suzuki Hair Dressers Car (Vitara) 10 years or so ago and it was just one that was in the country, and due to the shipping times from Asia etc they just batch ship them in, no changes in specification, the only options you had were dealer fit, so choices were fairly limited, and despite it having a reasonable spec from new, it still lacked certain things, things that could not of been ordered or dealer retrofit, so it meant that she loved her car, but was never happy with the spec of it, in the end it meant she sold it after 18 months as she just wasn't happy.

So its a double edge sword really, either get something fairly quick and possibly have to compromise on spec, or have a factory build to your spec, neither way is right or wrong, it all comes down to what you prefer, I notice people mentioning Seat as an alternative as they could supply something from stock fairly quickly, having looked at the site an spec of the car, it just doesn't do it for me either design or spec, so it means I have to wait for my Skoda, and yes, its a pain as I have no patience but I know that ultimately the car I get will be EXACTLY what I want!

There are options I would like to spec but there not obtainable in the UK and I can only assume from previous direct contact with the manufacturer, this is purely down to the good people at Skoda UK, who for what ever reason have decided to limit the scope of options on offer to it's customers.

Certainly when I asked the factory about fitting non UK spec alloys to my current car, after getting a flat no from Milton Kynes, they appeared more than happy to help and for them a straight forward thing to do; punch a different build code into the computer.

It's a shame in some ways that it's not more practical (and in the full spirit of the EU 'common market') to go buy in Germany or the Czech, just to get access to all the factory options on offer, rather than the 50% or so we have here; SUK might soon be out of business :giggle:

TP

Its interesting this. On a car like this im not so bothered about throwing endless options onto it......goes from being reasonable (not great) value to nigh on decent new 3 series/C Class money. Buying a Skoda for me is more about value for money than getting a car with premium levels of toys. The more I have to spend, the less value im seeing.

My ideal car (2.0 TSi Manual combi with about 1300 of options) comes in at just over 25k, with the 0% finance i could just about stomach the cost but 26/27k/28k....no not for me.

I also think its interesting the complaints about the standard UK spec levels, I think Skoda UK should perhaps open up the option list a bit and give people the choice but the vRS standard spec is already pretty good in the UK.

Sure we miss out on folding mirrors and other bits an bobs but we do get the Bolero, 18" alloys and performance selection mode which are optional in other EU countries. Sure cruise no longer being standard is a bit of a pain but the MK7 GTi doesnt get it either and compared to the MK2 base spec its leagues ahead. Push come to shove Id happily live with a standard car I think.

Also I waited 5 months for a factory built Fabia vRS back in 2011 so its in my mind pretty normal to have to wait a long time for a factory built Skoda, just the way they operate. If you want to wait several weeks rather than several months for a new car id suggest dont buy a Skoda.

I can't understand the logic of things like lane assist as standard but making 'essentials' like basic cruise options, as mentioned it just makes the stock cars unappealing.

Don't even get me started on the missing folding mirrors...!

P

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Toyota quoted three and a half weeks from order to delivery for a Auris touring Excel that could only have four factory options added to it and then a big list of accessories

Skoda quoted 12 to 14 weeks for a car that could have I think 30 factory options added to it

Should Skoda reduce the number of options,  provide a more standardised car and then increase the dealer accessories?

With the exception of the GT86 (thanks to subaru) Toyota's are just white goods bought by people with no interest in cars or given to people as company cars so don't need a long list of options.

Edited by Neily03

I can't understand the logic of things like lane assist as standard but making 'essentials' like basic cruise options, as mentioned it just makes the stock cars unappealing.

Don't even get me started on the missing folding mirrors...!

P

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes Skoda UK do appear to have prioritised new tech stuff over more traditional equipment, like cruise and front armrests; cost options on the SE. However the car telling you to have a cup of tea is now standard; can see that being really annoying after 13 hours at work and I'm being told by a machine to have a break on the way home :giggle:

Oh and I suppose that answers pipsyp's point, that yes you can have the standard car and it's well equipped, particularly with fancy tech but in the SE case missing things like cruise etc. so you have to folk out over the odds for what are now thought of as basic equipment items. Could go Elegance but Skoda UK have in their strange wisdom neglected to offer UK customers 4x4 in that level of trim, this being my preferred drive system.

TP

It just goes to show you cannot please everyone, my sister would never by a Skoda just based on the wait time for a standard car let alone with options.

I just think Skoda have taken note of the things that people want in a car and have moved some of them into the options to make more profit.  You end up with things you probably would not option and have to add things you would have got before = more profit.

• Like 1

Upmarketing of VAG cars is a good thing and bad in the same time.

I spend minimum of 3 and maximum of 5 hours in a car every single day in all weather. For me the car has to be good, comfortable, living room space to be. It also has to be large enough to carry occasional cargo, high enough to not get stuck on every speed bump and rough terrain country road while on traffic detour. It must have turning circle tight enough to negotiate u-turn in one go on British roads and compact enough to fit in every small one way street and elevator parking in London. In the same time, however, I can't afford 1/3rd of a flat in Kent to drive truly luxurious barge. All of my last L&K Octavias were exactly that. Perfect cars in every way, most just needed some extra sound proofing and were ready to go.

I often see car magazines pitching Octavias against Korean or Euro-japanese cars, and to me this is complete misunderstanding. Not because I wouldn't be seen dead in Korean car, no. I would buy one in a heartbeat, 5-7 years warranty, cheap maintenance, relatively bulletproof, uncool and bland enough to not get stollen when parked at night in bad part of capital, what's not to like? But I think there is a rift on the market, an decade worth abyss which neither Kia/Hyundai, nor Honda/Toyota/Nissan even managed to notice. Technology. And I'm not just talking driver conveniences, adaptive motorway safety devices or gadgets that allow your wife to park the car in spots where she can't even open the doors afterwards. It's the engines that spring to 60 in less than 8 seconds and still return 40mpg. The auto gearboxes that make town traffic thing of a past with changes that you don't even notice. Cars that are as stable and predictable on a mini roundabout in Swindon as they while competing for time on autobahn. Their cars don't compete with Octavia 2013. They don't even compete with Octavia 2009. Most of their cars barely managed to reach the level of Octavia 2004 and even then it's questionable in terms of ride comfort, handling and agility. Pro Ceed as alternative to O2 vRS? Oh phuuuleeeeeze.

But in the same time the danger of upmarketing lies with the price point loosing any contact with reality. We know Octavia has gone slightly overboard in this generation, but what about simpler, less cutting edge tech cars? Base Skoda Yeti L&K diesel with 4X4 DSG costs change short of 28 grand. A grand more than BMW X1 xDrive20d Sport, 700 quid less than BMW X1 xDrive 2.0d xLine. Can it compete in this sector? Not in it's wildest dreams. There has got to be some sane point of reference to this upmarketing or it might tip over the fragile balance.

Edited by v0n
  • Like 2

But in the same time the danger of upmarketing lies with the price point loosing any contact with reality. We know Octavia has gone slightly overboard in this generation

Nice post, every single person I've told that I'm spending £24.5k on a Skoda has said to me "go for a BMW 3 Series instead".

Without exception.