A few questions from a new vRS owner

Hi, I recently bought a 10 plate petrol vRS last week and have a few things i need answered.

The first is that when i put the sidelights on, all it does it makes the DRLs duller but the sidelights don't come on. The car was MOT'd the day i picked it up so not sure if it's norming. The lights are there and i checked the connections and everything seems fine.

The second is that it is showing KPH on the screen (i don't have maxidot), is there a way i could change this to show MPH as KPH means nothing to me?

And finally, i have read somewhere that you can't put LED lights in your number plate bulbs as you get errors on the dash? Is this true and if it is, is there a way to get around it as having plain bulbs seem to lower the appearance against the nice clean white colour ha.

The DRLs are working correctly. The sidelight bulbs are present but do not 'light' up.

It is a legal requirement to have the KPH display, and they have done this to avoid cluttering the speedo. However, I know that you can change the maxidot display to show other things via VCDS by changing the country, but I am not sure if this is true for the standard screen.

Lots of people have tried LED bulbs with varying levels of success. Have a search of the forum.

Agreed. But they are there for show coz the DRLs act as side lights.

As for the KPH display, for non-maxidot cars, the country can be changed via VCDS to Australia and this is supposed to sort it.

I tried this but I was still getting kph - perhaps I did summat wrong :think:

Agreed. But they are there for show coz the DRLs act as side lights.

They're not there for show.

The same headlight cluster is also used in non-RS Octavias, which don't have the LED DRLs (that dim to b sidelights) like the RS. In this case, they use the sidelights in the headlight cluster.

Its easier for skoda to make one set of headlights, that fits all.

Edited by JR RS

The DRLs are working correctly. The sidelight bulbs are present but do not 'light' up.

It is a legal requirement to have the KPH display, and they have done this to avoid cluttering the speedo. However, I know that you can change the maxidot display to show other things via VCDS by changing the country, but I am not sure if this is true for the standard screen.

Lots of people have tried LED bulbs with varying levels of success. Have a search of the forum.

Why would anyone want to change the digital speed display from metric to imperial units?

I find it easier to read the digital display than the usual poorly marked inner ring on a speedometer whilst driving in in Europe, especially when trying to avoid on the spot speeding fines?

DC