quickest setting to defrost car.

Cars with climate control tend to have better reliability as the compressor is 'always on'. Manual air con normally works on a clutch type system which wears over time. You can normally differentiate the two as clutch systems have a noticeable change in sound when air con is engaged and the compressor starts. You should not hear a 'always on' compressor engage at all. 

Hmmm... the bit of the manual for the Climatronic system in my car states:

The cooling system operates only if the following are met:

* engine running

* outside temperature above +2°C

* the ECON button is not pressed

If the air conditioning system is switched on...

I've always taken this to mean that the AC compressor is off when the ECON button is pressed. What else could it mean?

Checking the manual for a Mk III Octavia online I see the ECON button has been replaced by an AC button, but the principle appears the same?

Although perhaps I'm missunderstanding what you mean by 'Always on'? I'm geniunely interested as in summer I do periodically run my AC specifically for the purpose of keeping the system healthy so I'd love to know if I'm wasting my time (and fuel) doing this!

Edited by Ultrasonic

As far as I know, the compressor on the mk2 octavia doesn't have a clutch that turns off and on. The compressor is always spinning. 

And for the record, I have yet to see a noticeable difference in fuel economy between having the AC off and on. In any car. Not that I've done any real scientific tests, I didn't buy a car with A/C to worry about a couple drops of fuel. :)

Like Mike I use the warm water option. It also has the benefit of warming the screen up too, so when you drive off the cold air hitting the screen hits a warmer screen so doesn't instantly freeze up again giving the heater a chance to work.

I know I am going to be shot down for this but here is my simple recipe which takes ten seconds and works every time:

1.) Don't use the A/C in winter* - the condenser traps humidity which will later collect on the screen when it comes to a cold-start. Worth repeating: don't use the AC in winter.

*I do though turn the AC on once a week for ten to twenty minutes on a longer journey to keep it lubricated, primed and sealed.

I've been trying this out for the last couple of weeks and it works! Nothing on the inside in the morning and no condensation blowing up onto the inside of the windscreen when you turn the blowers/car.

There's a slightly awkward transition for a day when you stop using it as the screen will initially take longer to clear but after that it's clear.

You can see the difference even just switching the AC on for a couple of mins and then switching it back off again. The moisture it's trapped gets blown straight back up onto the screen.

I keep a damp trap in the car and that helps.

£1 from Asda and can be jammed in rear door thingy... shelf, pocket, cubby hole, you know the thing passengers leave sweet wrappers in... the name escapes me.

I've been trying this out for the last couple of weeks and it works! Nothing on the inside in the morning and no condensation blowing up onto the inside of the windscreen when you turn the blowers/car.

There's a slightly awkward transition for a day when you stop using it as the screen will initially take longer to clear but after that it's clear.

You can see the difference even just switching the AC on for a couple of mins and then switching it back off again. The moisture it's trapped gets blown straight back up onto the screen.

Glad it works for you too. The condensation freezing on the inside of the windscreen was driving me potty until I worked it out.