These LED DRL bulbs work without resistors

styler67

Like I said, I have no idea how the Octavia's DRLs work - not sure if they are separate bulbs housed in the foglight assembly (much like the Yeti), or if they are actually one and the same.

Looking at the pictures on Superskoda, it looks like it is the former rather than the latter, so I would guess that the cornering lights remain unaffected. Again, though, I have no specific knowledge of the Octavia, so I may be wrong...

How do these work with the cornering lights? I'm guessing with the LED's you don't get the soft fade in and out with these? 

DRLs are not fog lights...  The latter is used for the cornering function and not the former.

Just to let you know that the 'bulb-out' warning has not appeared on my car.

Maybe it is just a matter of time, but it has had several hours of these DRL's running.

Don't know if this is any help but when I fitted mine I did them both at the same time.

I did not stop after one bulb, switch on and compare.

The LED and original bulbs will have different wattages and I thought I would try and keep the computer happy by trying to keep the load on each side 'in balance'.

Biamp, if you did one bulb at time, then try fitting the originals back in to get rid of bulb failure. Then try the LED's again.

Agree they are very fiddly to do. I found removing the fog bulb gave a bit more hand space.

But as I said maybe it is just a matter of time before mine complain.

I will keep thread updated with any develpopments.

Biamp, if you did one bulb at time, then try fitting the originals back in to get rid of bulb failure. Then try the LED's again.

Agree they are very fiddly to do. I found removing the fog bulb gave a bit more hand space.

This job was by far the most awful DIY job I've ever done on a car... absolutely hated every minute of it and have never sworn at my car as much as I did then. To put the old ones back (should have had to) and then do it again?!!?   :think:  Not in a million years. So I'm thankfully my German ones with resistors work fine since they won't EVER be touched again (touch wood).   :giggle:

Just to let you know that the 'bulb-out' warning has not appeared on my car.

Maybe it is just a matter of time, but it has had several hours of these DRL's running.

Don't know if this is any help but when I fitted mine I did them both at the same time.

I did not stop after one bulb, switch on and compare.

The LED and original bulbs will have different wattages and I thought I would try and keep the computer happy by trying to keep the load on each side 'in balance'.

But as I said maybe it is just a matter of time before mine complain.

I will keep thread updated with any develpopments.

I might just give your suggestion a try - I confirm I did put the 1st bulb in and then turn on the ignition to make sure it was working / admire my handywork before I fitted the 2nd one. I don't suppose the year of make could make any difference eg. later (or earlier) cars having a more sensitive Canbus set up ?

Out of interest what year is your Yeti Styler 67 ?

Regards

Christopher

I might just give your suggestion a try - I confirm I did put the 1st bulb in and then turn on the ignition to make sure it was working / admire my handywork before I fitted the 2nd one. I don't suppose the year of make could make any difference eg. later (or earlier) cars having a more sensitive Canbus set up ?

Regards

Christopher

Now I'm really intrigued, really interested if this works out!

May I also ask why it is such a fiddly job to do? I admit I haven't had time to look around the front of my Yeti, but I'm wondering if it's difficult due to space restrictions, or if any special technical skills are also required.

Now I'm really intrigued, really interested if this works out!

May I also ask why it is such a fiddly job to do? I admit I haven't had time to look around the front of my Yeti, but I'm wondering if it's difficult due to space restrictions, or if any special technical skills are also required.

Hi

Not technically difficult - just a case of releasing the existing bulb from the holder (by squeezing the holder at the bottom) and slotting in the new bulb.

The difficulty is releasing and refixing the bulb holder into the headlight unit. There is very limited space down there and its very hard to get any leverage to turn the bulb holder. If anything releasing the bulb holder is slightly easier than refixing it but there's just no room to grip and turn it. I suppose if you have small size hands this would help !

There is a thread somewhere on the forum which suggests a different method  - I think it involves fixing the bulb into the headlight unit without the holder being attached, using a 19mm socket / short extension and then lastly fitting the holder to the back of the bulb. I might try this method next time if I attempt a refit.

Regards

Christopher

• Like 1

Regards

Christopher

It is a 2012 Yeti if that helps.

Fitting is very fiddly, but removing the foglight bulb certainly helps. Fog bulb is just a push fit, no problems.

Also found an inspection mirror with led and handle helped a bit, if only to check that bulb is locked in place afterwards. I got one from Maplins for £4.99.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-led-telescopic-inspection-mirror-671576?c=maplin&utm_source=gcs&utm_medium=gcs_search&utm_campaign=N01NF&utm_content=Automotive+Tools&_$ja=cgid:7690035763|tsid:49900|cid:119050603|lid:44978789563|nw:{network}|crid:26685292123|rnd:{random}|dvc:{device}|adp:{adposition}&gclid=CIDn_P3O5roCFVMRtAodX3QALw

What would make it alot easier is some sort of bulb holder that will allow you grip the bulb better. I tried a bit of hosepipe but not grippy enough.

• Like 1

I have fitted a pair of these lights.Much brighter than the originals. BIG pain to fit. I drove less than a mile and the bulb failure came on.This does reset when you turn off the engine (and then come back on after another mile)

It was me who suggested the 19mm socket,it is by far the easiest way, unless your hands are baby sized. Just be careful not to apply too much force.

I put in a set of the German LED DRL's,over a year ago when lots of people were trying them. I took them out after a week, as they are rubbish in bright sunny weather ie can hardly be noticed, and went back to original yellow looking ones, which can be easily seen in all conditions.

It is a fiddly job, hope no one has an indicator bulb go as that's a major strip down to get at.

Ordered a set Wednesday,will let you know if they are any good.

Macdemon - I fitted a set of these "sidelight" bulbs recently. The LED's are good, they do not produce a Canbus error and are relatively easy to fit

(at least compared to the DRL's )

Cheers

Christopher

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on my experience since fitting the "Ebay" LED DRL's. As previously posted the bulb out warning light and a "one off" Maxidot message do come on without fail. I decided the warning light was something I could live with pending Super Skoda bringing out their harness and bulbs - however a further problem has now become apparent which has led me to turn off the DRL's altogether pending their replacement.

I had fitted a Kenwood DNX 521DAB head unit - recently I have had an intermittent problem with the DAB radio tuner which has been losing signal and also to a lesser extent with the FM tuner on which the reception has been poor. I had just upgraded the firmware on the unit so thought this was the problem - I even tried to revert to the previous firmware but this was not possible. Subsequently I realised that the head unit performed impeccably when the engine was turned off and then also established it was fine when the car was used in darkness - ie. with the lights turned on. I then realised that the LED DRL's were the cause of the problem - when these were disabled in the MFD or when the main lights were on (which means the DRL's are off) the radio reception was normal - when I turned the DRL's back on the problem reoccurred!

It was quite a relief to find the cause of the problem. I don't know whey this is occurring - presumably the electronic booster aerials to both he FM tuner and DAB receiver were having interference, caused by the CANBUS fault. I can only guess the electrics must be very sensitive on this system.

Just something to be aware of should anyone else be contemplating buying the "error free" LED's from the previously mentioned Ebay site.

Christopher

• 2 months later...

So to sum up, there is no solution to the dull DRL issue that's error free without a 'lash-up' that might deteriorate and cause a future problem without going the auto sparky route.(?)

More or less. The ones from Germany that some have bought (me included, although I soon took them off as they were useless in bright conditions) work perfectly well with the resistors cable tied just above the headlight. But be aware they are nothing like the ones on many makes you now see around town. The yellow light from the oem bulbs can be seen in any conditions.

• Like 1

More or less. The ones from Germany that some have bought (me included, although I soon took them off as they were useless in bright conditions) work perfectly well with the resistors cable tied just above the headlight. But be aware they are nothing like the ones on many makes you now see around town. The yellow light from the oem bulbs can be seen in any conditions.

??  I have the German LED ones and they are if anything brighter than the original ones.  So not sure how yours ended up being less visible?

Before:

Standard-Tagfahrlicht-Skoda-Yeti-1-500-2

After:

LED-Tagfahrlicht-Skoda-Yeti-1-500-200.jp

And for the before and after pics of mine see this post:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/218300-yeti-lights-upgrade/?p=2615991

Mine looked great when in my garage, but it was my son who asked soon after, if they were still working. He was driving toward me, and said they did'nt look like they were on. When I checked, I found what I've already said, in bright conditions they were barely visible. So they came out and the originals put back.