Wintertact Remoulds

Phil.B

What are your views on remoulds and in particular these from mytyres.co.uk

I'm considering a cheap set of winters this year and came across these. I found an old review on here and they were quite happy with them. Read up on remoulds and nowadays they seem to be made pretty well, downside is they can be a bit heavier and take more weight to balance.

Anyone else had them? It's either these or nankang sv2's. I'm tempted to try these though because they're cheap!

Depends on your driving, round town I'd be happy to run remoulds, blatting down the motorway I'd be more nervous of them.

I have the Nangkang SV2 for winter use and I have been impressed with them. Hard cornering in wet conditions is a bit iffy but there grip in a straight line is good and they are great in the snow. Got me through this (And yes that is an imprint of the underneath of the car):

20130324_121828_zps879a8389.jpg

I wouldn't trust cheap remoulds during the time of year you really need to rely on good grip.

They may well have better traction through snow, however most of the UK winter is wet, damp & generally cold, resulting in greasy road conditions. My feeling is these just wouldn't be up to the job :( & I wouldn't risk my family for the sake of investing a couple of hundred quid more for a really good set that may well see you through 2-3 winters. Thats £70-£100 a year more.

No brainer for me. Get the best rubber you can afford.

I won't be spending a couple of hundred quid more though, it's either cheap winter rubber or keep my usual good summer tyres on.

I don't have kids etc which I understand gives you a much higher safety tolerance.

I do worry about the wet grip though and with hardly any reviews it's hard to decide.

Yeh!.. Joking aside, I'd like to know why if you don't rate them? Mytyre test gives them 4 out of 4 stars

I'm genuinely not being provocative by questioning the quality of the tyres.

You are right in that we don't actually know the quality of these tyres as no one here has commented after trying them, but the price can give you an indication of quality (not conclusively), reviews & forums can also help.

However, unlike other purchases, e.g. wax, sat navs etc, if they are not very good and don't do there job you put up with them or swap over when you can. No damage done.

With tyres, 99% of the time most tyres will do their job and perform OK. Its the 1 time you REALLY need them that counts. Thats why good tyres matter. If your tyres let go that one time, you / your car / someone else could be at risk.

At the end of the day it's your money and your decision, but for me tyres come before every other expense on my car. Both for safety and performance, it's one of the best mods you can do on a car :)

Let us know what you decide.

• Like 2

No I know your not and I understand and take on board your comments. I think i'm just trying to be cheap! I have a set of Falken zex912 and parada spec 2's for the summer, for some reason it's harder to spend the money on something that isn't going to be as fun and more for just plodding around in the winter.

I need to mull over this one. :)

trust me, if you get winter tyres, you will NEVER spend another winter without them, even the nangkangs are better than the BEST summer tyres when you drop below freezing... you will be suprised!I'm on goodyyears this year , and feel they are better even in just the cold wet stuff we have now!

Edited by sharkrider

I have run Wintertact remoulds for the last 2 years. Excellent in snow and more than acceptable on the usual crappy wet greasy roads we get in winter. Plenty of fast NSL and MWay use as well as the slower town work. No deterioration on the sidewalls and acceptable wear for the mileage, they will be going back on this year

trust me, if you get winter tyres, you will NEVER spend another winter without them, even the nangkangs are better than the BEST summer tyres when you drop below freezing... you will be suprised!I'm on goodyyears this year , and feel they are better even in just the cold wet stuff we have now!

and REALLY , its not more expensive, you are not putting the miles on your summer tyres, so do not need to buy new ones as soon.... you are still doing the SAME number of miles on one set of tyres .....

I know what you mean, but I imagine there was a point where nobody trusted the Nankangs because they were 'cheap' now they seem to be acceptable to use as a cheap option in the winter. I'm hoping that these can be the same.

I have run Wintertact remoulds for the last 2 years. Excellent in snow and more than acceptable on the usual crappy wet greasy roads we get in winter. Plenty of fast NSL and MWay use as well as the slower town work. No deterioration on the sidewalls and acceptable wear for the mileage, they will be going back on this year

Thanks for the update, it's good to know they are decent especially over a long period of time.

I've taken the risk and ordered a set, if i hate them that much I'll just get them shipped back, I doubt I will have to though.

and REALLY , its not more expensive, you are not putting the miles on your summer tyres, so do not need to buy new ones as soon.... you are still doing the SAME number of miles on one set of tyres .....

If only I had the room to store them as i'd be right there!

• 2 weeks later...