Monte Carlo 105 TSI Possible Purchase

Phillips

Hello!

Looking into replacing the Mrs car soon and the Monte Carlo is at the top of her list. Im wanting people's opinions on the engine and any little faults to look out for.

Having a Seat I know the normal wet carpets etc... but have no experience with these 1.2 TSI engines. Are they prone to eating oil?

Cheers :) 

I have a Monte 1.2 TSI, I love this engine and I was a dyed in the wool diesel man for the last few years.

No problems so far other than the pulling issue caused by the Dunlop tyres which is currently getting sorted but this seems be only certain cars affected not all of them.

As far as I'm aware there's no issues with oil consumption on this engine, only the 1.4 TSI fitted to the vRS has had oil problems which are well documented on here already.

Im a diesel man :) but no need for the mrs to have one. Ive read a lot on what car etc but whats the ride like? 

Be nice to get an opinion and views from several people who like there cars and have lived with it.

The ride is a bit harsh but it's got the sports suspension set up, a bit like the vRS.

It's not uncomfortable but it does handle good, in fact since the Pirelli tyres were fitted by Skoda the ride is definitely better, more forgiving.

The engine is a peach though and feels a lot stronger than a 105 bhp 1.2 petrol.

• Like 1

Hi Philips

When I tested the 1.2,  I was rather put off by the engine. After coming from a Yaris 1.4 Diesel it felt very flat.

I then tested the 1.6 Diesel back to back with the petrol and settles for the Diesel.

I don't do a lot of miles a year but couldn't accept the petrol for long term.  I do occasionally do long journeys so the Diesel was a good compromise for me. 

Getting 64 mpg last run.

Around local 56. 

I would recommend a back to back test drive worked for me.

Dealer had got both cars lined up for me to try, tested 1 jump into No. 2.

Was your Yaris chipped, I came from a 110 bhp 1.6 HDI Pug 207 and noticed the initial pick up and off the line was much better in the Monte.

I did get better mpg from the Pug and maybe sitting in a higher gear you got more torque but my Monte definitely doesn't feel flat compared to it, I enjoy driving it more and is a lot faster.

• Like 1

She currently has a 1.4 honda jazz 80bhp (very cool for a 26 year old lol)

I would imagine the pickup and drivability of the fabia will be far better than the jazz it is gutless!

Plus one for the 1.2 Tsi.105  Absolutely love mine especially married to the DSG and in Elegance Spec. Can't fault it. Ride comfort Practicality.

Looks drop dead gorgeous in Monte mode but sports suspension and 17" wheels may just compromise the ride quality.

Gazbull

Was your Yaris chipped?

No. But it was a very fast motor indeed.6 speed box D-4D turbo.

For a Yaris it was a surprising car. Really sorry to see it go.

I started talking to Toyota dealer about a new model as it looked a bit better but they wanted to steal the car from me.

I drove past the Skoda dealer and called in.

They offered me over £1100 more in trade in against Toyota. Plus no vat on new car. Easy dealing with them.

But move on. Extremely pleased with the Monte Diesel. It feels more like a drivers car. 

Its a definite keeper, for 3 years anyway. 

Unless the new Fabia is better, then will look at that when it comes.....

Edited by Carlo diesel

Got a 1.2tsi monte 86ps and coming from a 1.3cdti corsa (75ps) what a difference.

I was very wary about 1.2tsi when i first heard about them but in the monte i personally find it a lot of fun in the monte.

Its a very eager to please pulls very well from low down very well .

Its quite a good little engine and not bad sounding either.

In terms of oil usage mine uses next to nothing, maybe the odd drop here and there just to keep in the centre of the dipstick .Im the first to admit i can leave it a bit too long between checks but its hardly uses any (luckily lol)

• Like 1

I was extremely surprised yesterday when I put my foot down to overtake a lorry on a hill where I'd have previously changed down a gear - the Monte (105 TSI) seemed to pull effortlessly past the lorry with loads to spare!

Mine is now 2 weeks old and something about it makes me smile almost every day.

• Like 1

Highly recommend it. We've just bought one for the mrs. The 1.2 tsi is plenty pokey enough (I didn't drive it on the test drive) but really impressed. The seats are very comfortable, sat nav, Bluetooth, we got the DAB radio thrown in for free as they advertised it with DAB!

Ride is very comfortable. I have the Octavia 3 VRS, which is a much harder ride, tbh I love getting into the Fabia.

Hello everyone . First time posting . Looking to purchase a Monte Carlo tech black in the Nottinghamshire area , struggling to get any decent deal , could anybody recommend any dealers currently offering any discounts , would be willing to travel . Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mozz, my toledo is lowered so ride is very hard, unless the mrs is driving it she hates it. nice to get in a comfy ride every now and then. The Jazz is a comfy ride but like previously said she wants something with more poke. Which I'm happy about :)

Sk4gw .

I was hoping that someone had purchased one close to where I live who had hopefully got a good deal , at the moment every dealer I have spoken to is wanting full price & unwilling to other any extra incentives .

Sk4gw .

I was hoping that someone had purchased one close to where I live who had hopefully got a good deal , at the moment every dealer I have spoken to is wanting full price & unwilling to other any extra incentives .

Sorry missed your question above. Start with Central Skoda in Brum. Aim for £10.5k on the Tech Black 1.2.