loud dronning noise

keithys

Hi guys. I took car to garage today as my car had developed a loud humming noise as if a bearing was going. My mate has checked all the bearings and said they are fine . But is totally stumped what it could be. The noise only happens when driving along and is quite loud so I assume its something wheel related... anyone experienced anything similar? Any help and advice would be very much appreciated

Im wondering if its a square tire or dodgy tread. I've just got the car bk so will have a look at the tires. The noise is actually coming from the front o/s wheel. It gets louder the faster I go

I've had god awful noise when running those cheap tyres, that were so popular on here for some reason. They are long lasting tyres but budget for a reason, it comes at a price. Can't recall the brand now I'm sure someone can recall.

I've used Toyos more recently, had no such problems. 17s are still a bit noisy from roadnoise but I guess thats to be expected but nowhere near as bad as the kind of noise as mentioned.

ive had front wheel bearings go and drone before without there being any play 

alternative ... it could be a drive shaft / cv joint 

+1 on this. Even had a skoda technician say the bearings were fine. Ended up being a nearside bearing.  :dull:

I've literally just had this problem myself, 3 page thread here diagnosing if it might help, along with vids etc

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=323154

Hope it works for you!

Turned out it was the bearing, the best test would be to drive and go around a roundabout or somewhere and see if the noise fades going left or right. Don't go by the rocking the wheel back and forth at 12 and 6 o'clock positions as mine were absolutely solid. Very misleading!

I'd also swap the tyres around to see if the noise changes to a different corner

Edited by Dann2707

Thanks guys for all the advice. Im going to swap the tires around and see.the 2 I have on the front are 4 months old but they are like new still but they are a budget brand.. I've had the n/s bearing done when I got the car last year and the noise when that was going was different to the noise im getting now from the o/s. Im hoping this is something like my saw toothed tires.

I had a noise that I would describe in a similar way to that, and it turned out to be the brake calliper seizing on on one side.

Same here on the rear drivers side,got a new caliper which sorted it.

*** update***

Right I swapped wheels around still getting same noise. Last night seemed noiser than its been before. I looked at wear on tires and os tire had slightly worn on the inner edge.

Looked at wheels and the os is slightly out of alignment. I've had this before being out of alignment but never had the dronning noise..

I did however notice when going round a left hand bend at 40mph that the noise stopped until I went in to a straight line again, and again the noise started.. I tried a right hand bend at same speed and noise stayed..

Very puzzled now...

Im gonna take it back to my mate and suggest doing the bearing and looking at the caliper

Hmm but the noise is coming from the O/s but the noise test indicates it's the n/s bearing? 

Before changing mine last week I read on here and other vag forums that it happened like that which puzzled other people too.

Premature bearing failure seems quite common.

Helped a friend find his first car, picked the Fabia, main dealer service history shows new front bearings less than 2 years ago and low miles done since, steerings sharp and utterly no play so I put noise down to bad sawtooth I found on rock hard eco tyres up front.

Ive just had it confirmed bearing is bad and quite crunchy despite not showing the usual tell tales, just horrendous roar and harmonics that are speed related.

Either bad corrosion inside, bad brineling due to incorrect fitting techniques, or both.

Sadly it seems with Fabias you cant trust the usual methods of diagnosis.

Hmm but the noise is coming from the O/s but the noise test indicates it's the n/s bearing? 

Before changing mine last week I read on here and other vag forums that it happened like that which puzzled other people too.

Similar thing on pals car, noise distinctly nsf at speed, garage confirms its osf

Wondering if the vibration/sound is coming up the driveshaft and emitting from the transmission.

Premature bearing failure seems quite common.

Helped a friend find his first car, picked the Fabia, main dealer service history shows new front bearings less than 2 years ago and low miles done since, steerings sharp and utterly no play so I put noise down to bad sawtooth I found on rock hard eco tyres up front.

Ive just had it confirmed bearing is bad and quite crunchy despite not showing the usual tell tales, just horrendous roar and harmonics that are speed related.

Either bad corrosion inside, bad brineling due to incorrect fitting techniques, or both.

Sadly it seems with Fabias you cant trust the usual methods of diagnosis.

its not just fabias ive had it on a few cars same