Craig's vrs (slow build) family car project

Craig85

hmmmm dare i say red :giggle:

sucks,sucks and then some more :sweat:

g60&vr6 dont even think about it just get it much better!

I agree with all the above but dont know quite what you mean about the clutch part? Thought that was supposed to be a good option for them?

I am new to all these so any suggestions are appreciated. Bearing in mind I don't have thousands to spend in it. Want reliable and decent drive that will hopefully cope with eventual stage 2 power.

Sounds like the clutch pedal has snapped mate, common ish on these the little bracket that the master cylinder sits into on the pedal snaps off remove the bottom cover of the dash and take a look

Sounds like the clutch pedal has snapped mate, common ish on these the little bracket that the master cylinder sits into on the pedal snaps off remove the bottom cover of the dash and take a look

Never heard of that one, will have a look tomorrow then to see if can see anything.

Anything likely to have caused that to happen if it has or does it just happen on its own accord?

yea i was basically saying get the vr6 setup and dont waste time looking at other options :giggle:

Ahh :giggle: I misread it completely and read it as you saying dont bother with it at all..

My bad :)

Edited by Craig85

Pedal snapped normally caused by a shaged clutch

Very common

Nice car

Ok that's fine then at least will know what to look at.

What's the sarcasm for though? I only bought the car last month and it all felt fine as far as I was aware as is my first car to have a dmf so felt different to the usual stuff I've had anyway.

At present it has fsh but no proof of clutch so was thinking it would need doing soon however I was doubtful it would be original clutch at 13 years and 125k but if it was original its not done bad for itself.

I'm only asking for advice what to check and what best to replace with as I don't know what's the best bet for these as of yet. When the cars eventually up and running properly I was going to try to speak to you Clive about some nicer parts for the car and some tuning options as others have said a very good option for me to chat to you and good rite ups on here.

Just need to get the base sorted out first.

I think OET may have a box. He's not to far from you in Dartford Kent. Also you are more than welcome to pop over and look at my VRS. It goes quite well !

Well I need to see what needs replacing and what exactly the warranty will cover to repair/replace and than that's if they will cover it to have a 2nd hand box out on. Hope so as would be much easier in the long run as can concentrate on having mine rebuilt / uprated or something.

Lloyd has said that it would be interesting to meet you and have a look over your car, said you meet up quite regularilly and what not.

Once its up and running or at Lear I've managed to get something to use in mean time if I do need to get another box I will definitely pop over to have a look. Car looks very good in the build thread and I've heard praise through chat with others too.

Hopefully will be able to do that soon then.

Got to crack on with getting the car into somewhere and getting it done now and work out where to get the clutch from as cant be without a car for long, feel like a legs been taken away lol.

Second update of the day it does indeed seem that the pedal has broken so now need to look at what is the best way round fixing that and then its a full clutch change including hydraulics as hopefully be under warranty with at least the hydraulics so hopefully only have to pay for clutch myself.

We shall see though.

On the second note it seems my dials have gone tits up with regards to the non zeroing gauges and flickering lights and no light warning buzzer.

Had a electrician look at it today and it seems they have an internal fault as they all work exactly how they should and so everything as normal when he connected his machine upto it but they don't now do as meant to when in place on the car.

I am feeling a lot less love for this car now as it does feel as though am have bought a complete dog so once its fixed it may not be staying too much longer. We shall see but so far I'm regretting buying it as its let me down from the offset.

Starting to hate cars now as past few have just been a major arse ache & financial drain without mods being done.

Just showing off now aren't you lol.. :p

Here ya go..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just realised after putting all of these I'm that I've now officially posted more pictures of my Mg than my Octavia on my Octy build thread lol :D :D :D

Does beg the question of why do all that to your Octy with the "i hate driving" ironic quote then given in here lol

Nice motor.

Some few years ago now, I parted company with my old uk subaru for a MG ZS180 2001 plate. Very underrated car with handling that the VRS and most hatchbacks would die for. The v6 engine was quite a potent revvy engine and placed on a very nimble well handled chassis it could of done with more power really.

Although it did need revving to get the most from it. I had same cai kit on mine which sounded great. I also had th MG Xpower suspension kit and stainless janspeed exhaust which sounded superb.

It was a let down in interior looks and after a while I questioned why I parted with my scooby but was always on the list of cars I wanted to own. Same as a Audi RS4 at some point. We can dream.....

Sent from my Samsung S3

Nice motor.

Some few years ago now, I parted company with my old uk subaru for a MG ZS180 2001 plate. Very underrated car with handling that the VRS and most hatchbacks would die for. The v6 engine was quite a potent revvy engine and placed on a very nimble well handled chassis it could of done with more power really.

Although it did need revving to get the most from it. I had same cai kit on mine which sounded great. I also had th MG Xpower suspension kit and stainless janspeed exhaust which sounded superb.

It was a let down in interior looks and after a while I questioned why I parted with my scooby but was always on the list of cars I wanted to own. Same as a Audi RS4 at some point. We can dream.....

Sent from my Samsung S3

Thanks for the comment Bowders1.

Yes certainly a very underrated car. Mine was especially as when I'd done all my bits to it, it was knocking 215 hp and was certainly noticed when I opened her up.

I've got to the point where I'm wondering why I sold it now as like you say the handling was amazing in that car and it left many higher sports ars surprised when you'd keep with them and sometimes leave them behind :D

Spent a lot of time and money on that and it was worth every moment and penny spent but it got to the point where the next mods where way out of my price range and I felt I needed more!

Not knocking the octavia at all as it does what it sets out to very well and with some fettling it certainly improves itself lots however as this one has bitten me now 5 times with parts failing and needing replacing I'm starting to lose faith in it which is a shame as after its health check I set about buying the mods for it to move it upto the stage I want it.

Have to see how it all goes over the next 48 hours as if not great it will probably end up going and the bits sold again to help fund whatever I go for next. Neer know though, it may stay on to see the mods fitted and go on further...

give up :thumbup: not trying to put you off but for starters its red, so doomed from the outset!  your octavia experience has started just like mine i piled money into it and it never got better! :clap:

so either cut you loses and buy an e36 or crack on and prepare your self for this on a regular basis

256zaec.jpg

Am thinking more along the lines of getting it useable and just parting ways with it already. At least that way shouldn't lose too much more money on it and will then sell the coilovers, links and top mounts and turbo back system through the bay and hopefully won't lose terribly on it all.

Just don't know what will replace it with this time as still would like to keep on the turbo route but still needs to be family friendly and not mega money.

May end up getting a loan for something newer as job front may be changing for the better.

I see what your saying Terkin, looks like a money pit from the outset :(

The thing is once sorted it will be awesome. The 1.8 t engine is very reliable and will be rewarding once you get it sorted. Like I said pop over and have a go in mine. May renew your enthusiasm !

Thanks for the comment Bowders1.

Yes certainly a very underrated car. Mine was especially as when I'd done all my bits to it, it was knocking 215 hp and was certainly noticed when I opened her up.

I've got to the point where I'm wondering why I sold it now as like you say the handling was amazing in that car and it left many higher sports ars surprised when you'd keep with them and sometimes leave them behind :D

Spent a lot of time and money on that and it was worth every moment and penny spent but it got to the point where the next mods where way out of my price range and I felt I needed more!

Not knocking the octavia at all as it does what it sets out to very well and with some fettling it certainly improves itself lots however as this one has bitten me now 5 times with parts failing and needing replacing I'm starting to lose faith in it which is a shame as after its health check I set about buying the mods for it to move it upto the stage I want it.

Have to see how it all goes over the next 48 hours as if not great it will probably end up going and the bits sold again to help fund whatever I go for next. Neer know though, it may stay on to see the mods fitted and go on further...

I will post up some pics of mine as it was a really good looker. It was the saloon with high rear spoiler (I preferred the saloon).

I only got rid of mine coz I sold it for more than I paid and the modding as you say was to get expensive (like a super charger).

I have had approx 50 cars in my time never really keeping any for a year. One even went after 2 hours ( renault 5 turbo) lol.

The Octy VRS I have now had 7 years which is a miracle for me and kinda is testament to how good the VRS is. Ok not great handling direct from the box. It still ticks more boxes for me than most other cars. There is something good about making more out of the VRS to be more capable.

Terkins point about getting rid I kinda get, as you have had your fair share of issues (think Terkins was more self inflicted lol).

I can only say from my experience I have honestly enjoyed my car and the changes it has gone through.

I say don't get put off by problems as ****e happens. Moving past them is the challenge. Find something to get happy about and fuel motivation from it dude. Plenty of folks on here that can help and get you some cheap parts. Head up buddy.

Sent from my Samsung S3

The thing is once sorted it will be awesome. The 1.8 t engine is very reliable and will be rewarding once you get it sorted. Like I said pop over and have a go in mine. May renew your enthusiasm !

I guess it'll all depend in what the outcome of the visit to the garage brings tomorrow.

I'm not doubting they can be grat fun at all as my friends Cupra R (I know different) is was swayed me to go for one of these. Needed a more family sized version and I love the rarity of them round here.

I think going in a properly nice one would possibly have two outcomes. I'd really want mine to go and look like that and then I'd be in the frame of mind of it'll never go and look as nice as your one.

Either way I will still try to pop over to meet you and to have a go I'm a sorted out vRS ;)

I will post up some pics of mine as it was a really good looker. It was the saloon with high rear spoiler (I preferred the saloon).

I only got rid of mine coz I sold it for more than I paid and the modding as you say was to get expensive (like a super charger).

I have had approx 50 cars in my time never really keeping any for a year. One even went after 2 hours ( renault 5 turbo) lol.

The Octy VRS I have now had 7 years which is a miracle for me and kinda is testament to how good the VRS is. Ok not great handling direct from the box. It still ticks more boxes for me than most other cars. There is something good about making more out of the VRS to be more capable.

Terkins point about getting rid I kinda get, as you have had your fair share of issues (think Terkins was more self inflicted lol).

I can only say from my experience I have honestly enjoyed my car and the changes it has gone through.

I say don't get put off by problems as ****e happens. Moving past them is the challenge. Find something to get happy about and fuel motivation from it dude. Plenty of folks on here that can help and get you some cheap parts. Head up buddy.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Yeah I like the saloon version but the hatch for us was again different to most round me and fitted the family better for bigger boot access.

Was a great fun car.

That was the car I owned the longest, just over 4 years as I get through them quite quickly as get so bored. But yes as charging it was my only next option to get some extra ponies from it I really couldn't warrant the money or sacrifice the reliability as was used daily with the kids too.

With how it was though it kept very well with my mates cupra r which he got rather upset about with his current state of tune :D

The Octy was bought as a semi sensible family but tuneable car that I could do minor bits to and keep reliability whilst on a budget. However as I've only owned it since November and have already had issues with various expensive items and now this has happened its just really made me think is it worth it.

I honestly don't know enough about these cars and engines to know how good or reliable they truly are. It's 13 yr old and 126k on the clock and it just seems I've bought it at the wrong time in its life. I even went for a totally standard example with fsh thinking I stood a better chance of it being ok.

I know its not the end of the world but I've had it with previous cars too where you think ill jut replace this bit and that's it. Then something else goes and you do the same as you think may as well keep it going and then after a year you realise you could've had a much nicer car to start with.

I'm losing enthusiasm too as my best mate who also happens to do lots of bits on my cars and always has done just keeps slating it and then it goes wrong and gives the option of a big told you so thing again.

My mind isn't made up 100% yet but I think I know which way I may be swaying to :(

Dude, just read through this thread and I totally feel what your saying. Been throught the exact same thing with my accord type r I had, even fell out with the mrs at times over it :wall: . Complete stress and headache from the start. But I loved the bloody thing... even after all the grief it caused It was one of the best cars I've had, when it ran as it should at least. But as you, I think I just bought it at the wrong time. I mean I'd say Im a car enthusiast and always try to look after my cars to the highest spec and know at certain times some parts need to be replaced but I too have a young family and money aint always there when you need it, and all the time it spoils the fun and enjoyment from having the car at all.

In the end I sold the type r, and now recently I've found myself in the ownership of a 03 vrs with 124k on the clock and with a few bits that need addressing at some point soon although I too am completely new to the whole vag and 1.8t scene, albeit after a decent amount of research before buying as you cant deny that there aint too much which ticks the boxs as a good family performance car for the budget.

Tho I miss the old accord type r, maybe a civic FD2 type r in the not too distant future.... :think:  but my modded mx5 which never lets me down keeps a smile on my face. Any thought into getting a more plain family motor and a little something for yourself, so not a big stress if anything props up?

Anyway, I hope it all goes well for you dude, which ever route you take and good luck.

Dude, just read through this thread and I totally feel what your saying. Been throught the exact same thing with my accord type r I had, even fell out with the mrs at times over it :wall: . Complete stress and headache from the start. But I loved the bloody thing... even after all the grief it caused It was one of the best cars I've had, when it ran as it should at least. But as you, I think I just bought it at the wrong time. I mean I'd say Im a car enthusiast and always try to look after my cars to the highest spec and know at certain times some parts need to be replaced but I too have a young family and money aint always there when you need it, and all the time it spoils the fun and enjoyment from having the car at all.

In the end I sold the type r, and now recently I've found myself in the ownership of a 03 vrs with 124k on the clock and with a few bits that need addressing at some point soon although I too am completely new to the whole vag and 1.8t scene, albeit after a decent amount of research before buying as you cant deny that there aint too much which ticks the boxs as a good family performance car for the budget.

Tho I miss the old accord type r, maybe a civic FD2 type r in the not too distant future.... :think: but my modded mx5 which never lets me down keeps a smile on my face. Any thought into getting a more plain family motor and a little something for yourself, so not a big stress if anything props up?

Anyway, I hope it all goes well for you dude, which ever route you take and good luck.

Cars can be a major pain can't they, love hate relationship for me. I love it, it hates me lol.

I guess will have to see how it behaves when I get it back once repaired, may keep it for a bit but then may just part ways whilst new parts are on and should sell easily tht way.

I would love to have a normal family car and then a toy but we can't afford the insurance on 2 cars then also the taxing and buying. It would be a better option but its not really doable as have looked into it before.

Plus both me and the mrs love a louder and faster car as standard mundane family cars do both our heads in.

That's why we try to get something that's a bit in the middle and caters for family whilst being reasonably quick and fun to boot around when the chance arises.

Poss not getting it back until midweek anyhow so we will have to wait and see I guess. Just a shame as spent a fair bit ok the mods too and I know I won't get the money back.

It's just another stress at present that I really could do without at present. Anyhow, I don't want to keep moaning how things are bad and so on so will just wait and see what the car like when its back and take things from there.

Appreciate the messages and advice and offers too. :)

keep it i was only messing,stage 2 is fun and faster than most everyday stuff plus you already have alot of stuff to go on the car.

all my problems came after upping the power but my car didnt have it easy in its past life i guess. a full skoda service history isint worth the paper its written on ;) clutch died smokey turbo dead coilpacks dead fuel pump all came within 500miles of stage 2. on a 50k car so is just luck. other stuff just unlucky but would be boring if it all went to plan.

you wont find a better speed orientated family car for the money. is a good car without question! youve got the hard bits out the way so not much left to go wrong :giggle:

keep it i was only messing,stage 2 is fun and faster than most everyday stuff plus you already have alot of stuff to go on the car.

all my problems came after upping the power but my car didnt have it easy in its past life i guess. a full skoda service history isint worth the paper its written on ;) clutch died smokey turbo dead coilpacks dead fuel pump all came within 500miles of stage 2. on a 50k car so is just luck. other stuff just unlucky but would be boring if it all went to plan.

you wont find a better speed orientated family car for the money. is a good car without question! youve got the hard bits out the way so not much left to go wrong :giggle:

You may have been joking but it does seem the more sensible option though in fairness.

You say its all down to luck, which it is really and I have f all of luck when it comes to cars so again if I listen to my head its sealing the cars fate more already.

It is frustrating as I have bought quite a few upgrades and my mate has jus for hold of a clutch for me which is only costing me a drink so can't grumble on that but I can't afford another money pit car.

Oh yeah I don't knock the fact with a few £'s spent it would be a hard to be family (fun) performancy car which is why I first got it.

You've knocked it into me that the Red is a doomed vRS and I need to look elsewhere :(

+1 on what terk said! i have had my problems with mine and trust me i have had a lot, not so much that has put me off the road although i have had a few of them but mainly stuff thats anoying and made the car drive crap, i would say all due to me playing about with it as terkin said.. but when it drove it drove nice and i just cant bring myself to get rid of it although i thought about it loads of times but to get something as good you would be paying a fair bit of money!