Considering swapping from 1.4mpi to 1.9sdi... Thoughts?

Jack M

I'm looking at selling my car and have stumbled across someone who is selling a 1.9 SDI for about the same price.

quick sit rep of both:

Mine: 1.4 8v mpi classic

74k with 11 stamps couple of tasteful upgrades ant a set of alloys but no major mods etc

35-38mpg if im lucky.

£195pa tax

£699pa insurance (estimate for may 2014 - 2 years driving and no claims)

His (i dont know much ive only seen a photo and a quick paragraph, he hasnt replied with any details as of yet):

1.9 sdi classic high mileage (dont know how many) not asked about service history yet

lowered on coilovers (which i like) with a set of seat alloys.

70mpg

cheaper tax (cant remember exactly)

£750pa insurance (estimate for may 2014 - 2 years driving and no claims)

So whats your thoughts on all of this? anything to look out for etc? and do you think its worth it me changing?

TA :)

I have an 2002 SDI Estate Comfort, if your after cheap motoring its hard to beat. But it is no way sporting. I would say that it is perfectly liveable with so long as you accept thats its not a Turbo. Happily keep up with traffic, no probs on motorway upto about 80.

It will depend on what you want as to wether it suits you.

I was on a very low budget, wanted long term reliability with no worries about Turbos blowing, no ABS lights flckering etc etc.

I get a true 60-65 mpg around town, and close to 70 mpg on motorway (about 65mph ish). It is basic motoring, but seems that not much goes wrong with them (touch wood).  I got mine for £750 with 12 month tax/test, Cambelt and new Clutch had been done in last 12 months and came from a family who had owned it from near new. Looking back through all the Service History (He had kept everything, even receipt for bulb changes) apart from tyres and brakes the only major expense in 11 years and 120K miles had been Cambelts every 4 years, a clutch done last year, and an alternator done last year (which it turned out was wasted as it was the battery all along). Its a bit scruffy and has leaky door cards but drives fine and took me from Brighton to Manchester quite happily via Friends in London for the grand total of £30 of Deisel.

Downsides, it is pretty noisy, if looking at Classic then its wind up windows all round. Its a pretty sparten interior, but nothing to stop you improving that over time.

Not sure were you are, but if your near Manchester you welcome to come and have a look at mine and see what you think. TDI is nice, but if you not got the budget, there is nothing wrong with the SDI.

I say give it a go

Andy :-)

Better the devil you know then the devil you don't. Having said that if MPG is your thing, then why not upgrade to a higher spec derv model? Find one with low miles and service history and you`ll be onto a winner.

Try http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.torquecars.com%2Ftools%2Fuk-mpg-calculator.php&ei=0t-HUqDvOsWRhQeDvID4Aw&usg=AFQjCNHQADY0LDgGnQYRlQHBGKJWGYitZA

And work out the true costs

Thanks to everyone that has commented so far.

theres a lot of dont knows about the sdi ..... but personally i think it would be worth trying to get a tdi if you want a diesel 

I do like the idea of the tdi but the insurance unfortunately dont, im still only a young teen with 2 years experience behind me, if i was to say "turbo" down the phone to them they would probably have a heart attack!

I will look into it though and see what they say :)

If your after cheap motoring its hard to beat. But it is no way sporting. I would say that it is perfectly liveable with so long as you accept thats its not a Turbo. Happily keep up with traffic, no probs on motorway upto about 80.

I get a true 60-65 mpg around town, and close to 70 mpg on motorway (about 65mph ish)

Downsides, it is pretty noisy, if looking at Classic then its wind up windows all round. Its a pretty sparten interior, but nothing to stop you improving that over time.

I say give it a go

Andy :-)

Thanks for this , i have read through and its really helpful! I am still on a budget due to being on an apprenticeship (slave labour wage) and as said above insurance is still daylight robbery.

The spec level is the same as i have now so no surprises there, although with it being younger than 02 im led to believe it will have a couple more frills than mine does.

Im based in derby so if i am down that way i will have a look thanksd for the offer, i have a friend that owns an sdi and i have driven and been a passenger in it so i do have a little experience of them.

I do like the idea of the tdi but the insurance unfortunately dont, im still only a young teen with 2 years experience behind me, if i was to say "turbo" down the phone to them they would probably have a heart attack!

I will look into it though and see what they say :)

ring up you might be suprised .... i got my vrs with 3 years no claims and fully comp the insurance was just under 1k .... there was a thread not long ago showing what others pay for insurance and there wasnt many paying more than 1k for a tdi 

ring up you might be suprised .... i got my vrs with 3 years no claims and fully comp the insurance was just under 1k .... there was a thread not long ago showing what others pay for insurance and there wasnt many paying more than 1k for a tdi 

It seems that as long as i dont go for a vRS then its actually relatively reasonable, i was having a look at a PD100 Ambiente, 54 plate so the facelift model, it does look quite nice but i think im going to hold out until may when my 2 years NCB comes through and see what my options are then, possibly go for a facelift elegance or maybe a vRS is theyre not too bad by then :)

The other thing to consider is your driving pattern. If you're not doing mostly the 10 or 12 miles single trips that will get the diesel fully warmed up, then the fuel economy benefits will be mostly absent.

You don't have to be doing huge mileages to do this; I only do about 8_000 a year, but it's nearly all 11 mile single trip commutes or 200mile plus tags (hence the Octy TDi as a high speed cruiser).