Octy 3 vRS owners - can you try something/help? ECO MODE

Hi All

I've had my new MK3 vRS TDi Estate (DSG) since friday - love it!

But this morning on the motorway (in 50mph roadworks) i tried out the ECO mode... and found something strange and wondered if it's a slight software fault that may be on others too.

It occurred between 40mph and 45mph cruising in ECO mode and I had backed off the accelerator and then back onto it gently and it wouldn't accelerate at all - the rev counter hovered between 1-2k revs with no power at all.. almost as if it didnt know what gear to select and just left the clutch engaged while it thought about it...

I tried again with the above directions and managed to get it to do it again - if i deselect eco mode there is no issues at all. So this time round i tried "BOOTING OUT" ... i.e. just put my foot down to try and get some kind of acceleration and that worked - kicked down and started to pull again with a swift cloud of diesel smoke! 

Anyone else with DSG able to try this and see if they can recreate the symptoms before I take it into Skoda?

Thanks,

Tom

Mine used to do it, its the car getting used to your driving style i believe, although could be a fault. Mine hasn't done it for ages now though so presume it anticipates what I'm going to do now.

After 2200miles the gearbox is 109 times better than when i got it

If I remember correctly after having read the manual (!), when you take the foot off the accelerator in ECO mode the DSG gearbox goes into coasting. In order to re-engage a gear, you have to either use the (-) paddle on the steering wheel or just lightly touch the brake. I know it's counter-intuitive, but that's what you get... Alas, it's not a software fault, just not the best design imo.

Hi All

I've had my new MK3 vRS TDi Estate (DSG) since friday - love it!

But this morning on the motorway (in 50mph roadworks) i tried out the ECO mode... and found something strange and wondered if it's a slight software fault that may be on others too.

It occurred between 40mph and 45mph cruising in ECO mode and I had backed off the accelerator and then back onto it gently and it wouldn't accelerate at all - the rev counter hovered between 1-2k revs with no power at all.. almost as if it didnt know what gear to select and just left the clutch engaged while it thought about it...

I tried again with the above directions and managed to get it to do it again - if i deselect eco mode there is no issues at all. So this time round i tried "BOOTING OUT" ... i.e. just put my foot down to try and get some kind of acceleration and that worked - kicked down and started to pull again with a swift cloud of diesel smoke! 

Anyone else with DSG able to try this and see if they can recreate the symptoms before I take it into Skoda?

Thanks,

Tom

Otherwise, hope you are enjoying you new motor.

I'm just down the road from you and you can see I' am enjoying my TSI estate with manual.

I think there is definitely a fault with it. Mine has done it a few times, once it was quite bad and required me knocking off the ignition and re starting the car!

I am going to mention mine to my dealership when it goes in, in the meantime I won't be using Eco mode!!

Eco mode changes quite a lot of things the main one being the accelerator response as well as activating coasting mode in the gearbox.

You drive in normal mode and get the feel of the accelerator and how the car reacts, engage eco mode and the accelerator becomes less responsive and to get the same acceleration requires a heavy foot.

I think there is definitely a fault with it. Mine has done it a few times, once it was quite bad and required me knocking off the ignition and re starting the car!

I am going to mention mine to my dealership when it goes in, in the meantime I won't be using Eco mode!!

Mine has done that once going down a hill, i put it in manual and still had nothing would change numbers on dash but no power then turned out engine was off, very strange, in normal everything is great

Hahaha yes James - pretty awesome mode! However when im cruising it gets annoying sat at 3-4k revs for no reason... so theres a time and a place for normal mode too... id question eco...

If you pull the stick back it puts it back in D but with sports driving characteristics if i remember correctly. Or set up the individual setting.

Rob