Height to top of Westfalia detachable towball

FYI. My 2012 Sterling rides very much nose down with the car and caravan fully loaded.

Picture of a witter bracket

That is about 10mm high.

EU Regs suggest max should be 420mm to centre of ball.

See my link earlier.

If you need your jockey wheel and cables dragging on the floor ask my wife to pack all your gear for you, your caravan will be a good 2500kg and a nose weight of at least 150kg, your ball height will be down where it is needed I assure you.

On a lighter note, when i towed the Abbey with the Yeti, it was level when loaded and parked, when we got out on the road the nose did go lower for whatever reason and the whole outfit was steady as a rock and a pleasure to tow.

Hope you get it sorted Johann.

• Like 1

Oh the unit is steady as anything when towing. I don't have issues towing it whatsoever especially after fitting the Winterhoff. Just want to be sure in an emergency stop everything will be fine... Nothing I can do about it apart from moving weight around since the £834 towbar is NOT getting changed nor is the caravan anytime soon.

But thanks for all the advice everyone. :happy:

I wonder....  If a Westfalia removable towbar from something else like a Touareg will fit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEJ72kW6W7o

I think the Touareg's points down too much as it is MUCH higher, but the male-female fitting seems to be the same for them all...

Or a Golf V?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1LLug-JItU

Mercedes C-class?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tRIqPepj_c

But I guess I should look at SUVs...  that sit higher and have something between what the Yeti's is and that of the down-pointing Touareg.

I do remember someone who was having stability issues with an SMax (I think) had his removable ball replaced by one of a different shape (I guess giving a lower final height) by the towbar maker.

Can only remember sketchy details but maybe it is worth talking to Westfalia about the issue.

• Like 1

I think...  well I wanted to get the thing delivered before I commented, but I'm too excited...  but I think I found the solution.

A VW Tiguan Westfalia tow hook!  After watching those videos above I found the Tiguan one and it looked perfect.  Then looking at the Westfalia installation manuals they look like this:

Yeti:

onds.jpg

Tiguan:

i0j4.jpg

Two images above combined:

gwmm.jpg

Then I went on eBay to see if I could find photos of a Tiguan one and low and behold I find a 2010 Tiguan Westfalia tow hook for the princely sum of £20 plus postage!!!

$_12.JPG

I'm 95% sure the male part of the fitting at the top is Westfalia universal and will fit in my Yeti.  So I think this might just drop my towball height by 80mm or so.   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  The rounded towball part is about 40mm and looking at the images above it visually drops it by two towballs or so.

Proof is in the pudding and I'll know once it arrives.  I might just end up with a big heavy paperweight but I do hope not.

If it doesn't fit then you stick it back on ebay!!

True... But as I said I'm 95% sure this should do the trick to bring the caravan's nose down a fair bit.

Johann

I can appreciate that your architects eye is offended by the visual effect of the "non linear" alignment of the caravan to towcar and I hope this latest results in your satisfaction. However, if it doesn't don't lose sight of the fact that you say it tows OK. There are so many variables but in the end it's the result that matters. :thumbup: 

Fred

PS mine is slightly nose down but as it tows OK up to (and sometimes over) the legal limit I've stopped worrying about it.

Johann

I can appreciate that your architects eye is offended by the visual effect of the "non linear" alignment of the caravan to towcar and I hope this latest results in your satisfaction. However, if it doesn't don't lose sight of the fact that you say it tows OK. There are so many variables but in the end it's the result that matters. :thumbup: 

Fred

PS mine is slightly nose down but as it tows OK up to (and sometimes over) the legal limit I've stopped worrying about it.

Fred it's not my architect's eye that is the problem...  it is what will happen under an emergency braking situation (as explained in post #22 above  :giggle: )

That is the foremost reason.  But yes a minor secondary reason is the architect's eye and liking things to be level.   :rofl:

Fred it's not my architect's eye that is the problem...  it is what will happen under an emergency braking situation (as explained in post #22 above  :giggle: )

That is the foremost reason.  But yes a minor secondary reason is the architect's eye and liking things to be level.   :rofl:

Fair comment, I've never thought about that.

Only time I had to do an emergency stop my awning and poles, which were stored on the floor of the 'van, shot forward and perforated a cupboard door. Nothing worse happened but nowadays I have a board between the seats/bed in the 'van to prevent another occurrence.

Fred 

• Like 1

Perfect fit!!!! And a drop of just under 75mm as predicted. I'm happy. Not sure how big a difference that will make on caravan but it can only be better. So to the middle of my towball on my car should be around 380mm now.

Also look how parking somewhere different can change the dims. Today the Yeti original measured 477mm vs 485mm parked on other side of road. The after dim to top of ball is roughly 400mm.

Before and after:

d3pc.jpg  

01e5.jpg

f6e1.jpget5w.jpg

And side by side:

n0x7.jpg

Error with the kit as originally supplied, is that possible??

No I have the correct original setup. The Yeti setup is just at the high end of the official EU range. And my caravan at the low end. So the combination was a bit out.

No I have the correct original setup. The Yeti setup is just at the high end of the official EU range. And my caravan at the low end. So the combination was a bit out.

I've just managed to get a look at my hook, although couldn't do a test fitting for heights.  Definitely as Johann's at left above (ball just above top of mount); the forging is of slightly different pattern but the stamping number is virtually the same - 5L0803882 (plus another group - mine's 8/11 or 9/11).  Supplied with new car September 2012, and 'van (2005 Elddis) runs level. 

It takes all sorts :happy:

You need to go and hitch up and check it out ... we need pictures Johann!  Come on!

Viewed my new Tig today (and my new caravan ... everything is happening at once!) ... the retractable towbar is a strange looking thing though very nifty!

... the retractable towbar is a strange looking thing though very nifty!

We had a swing-out hook under our Volvo 240 estate.  Dead easy! 

(Longest we've ever had a car - 9 years from 1984.  Gorgeous.  Very swish - heated driver's seat!)