Height to top of Westfalia detachable towball

Well I might not have had time to put the wheel trims back on the van after the service (and it getting three new tyres) but look what a difference a Tiguan towbar makes!   :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle:  And that is on the winter tyres too that are fractionally bigger than the summers.

2ggu.jpg

Compared to:

5824_10151605069816324_1008899583_n.jpg

It might not be nose down but it is as near as anything to being level!  Add a bit of weight into the car and all will be fine.

Oh so much more cool - and it will ride better, too.  It must be a peculiarity with that caravan's hitch. 

It is just how the Lunars were built in those days - it does not have an ALKO chassis.  Look at my second photo above and you will see the A-frame chassis comes out of the nose UNDER the body of the caravan.  Now go and look at your or a more modern van.  The chassis comes out from within the nose with the bottom of the chassis sort of level with the bottom of the nose.  That's the main reason why my van was so pronouncedly nose up.

caravan.jpg

• Like 1

Well I might not have had time to put the wheel trims back on the van after the service (and it getting three new tyres) but look what a difference a Tiguan towbar makes!   :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle:  And that is on the winter tyres too that are fractionally bigger than the summers.

2ggu.jpg

Compared to:

5824_10151605069816324_1008899583_n.jpg

It might not be nose down but it is as near as anything to being level!  Add a bit of weight into the car and all will be fine.

You've got me thinking now!

post-23690-0-60803000-1387555154_thumb.jpg

You've got me thinking now!

Well...  you know an easy solution now. Don't think you'll find one on eBay for £20 (I was just very lucky) but I'm sure some towbar place can order you a brand new Tiguan one.

I measured mine today.....480mm.

That is after a 40mm lift. So it was 'over height' to start with. I wonder what it will be like towing when I get round to it.

As far as I'm aware there is no 'lower' horizontal entry Witter tow bar available.

I measured mine today.....480mm.

That is after a 40mm lift. So it was 'over height' to start with. I wonder what it will be like towing when I get round to it.

As far as I'm aware there is no 'lower' horizontal entry Witter tow bar available.

It will tow fine, but if the van is nose up it might jack knife the car under hard emergency braking.