Winter wheels / tyres for Scout

Hi,

Sorry if this has been done many times before, but .....

My Scout has badly corroded (causing slow air leaks 17" Proteus ?) alloys - tyres are Dunlop SP Sport 01 - 225/50 - not 225/45 as tyre finders seem to think !  (excellent tyres in wet or dry, 28K miles so far, but down to 3mm approx. - no good for winter).

To refurbish alloys and get 4 new Dunlops - large sums !   Last lot of tyres cost a little under £600 !

Idea, 4 Steel wheels + winter tyres (they can come out each year for a few ? months)  Refurbish & replace existing at a later date.

Question ?  can I fit smaller wheels (16") and narrower / higher profile tyres -  eg 205 / 60 to save on tyres cost and keep speedo readings correct.  If I read the price correctly, seem to be able to get wheels & tyres for around £320 for 4.

Thoughts & suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Correct size for winter tyres on 16" wheels is 205/55R16 This is as recommended / approved by Skoda, but does in fact give a smaller diameter and the speedo will under read. I find when speedo shows 44 mph I am actually doing just 40 mph!

Good idea to get an extra set of wheels as then you can take your time getting the 17" refurbished. I'm in the same position with Scout 17" alloys needing attention. For winter I managed to get a set of 16" Octavia alloys from an Elegence spec car and have Avon Ice Touring winter tyres. I run the winters from middle of October to usually end of March, but then again that's Scotland.

Second hand alloys can work out cheaper than steels sometimes as there are plenty out there. Of course now is the wrong time of year to buy winter tyres as they are getting more expensive (I got mine in August) but if needs must....

Been there, done that. My proteus wheels were terrible a 4 years old. I got a set of 16" Audi alloys off eBay for £150 and sold the tyres for £100, net cost of wheels, £50 + cost of winter tyres, 205/55/16.

I then got my proteus wheels refurbed in anthracite whilst the winters were fitted. I'll post some pics when on pc

I'm currently waiting on Skoda UK getting back to me reference Proteus alloy delamination of my replacement set.

Car currently on 205/55/16 black steel wheels with Nokian A3 winter tyres - £580 all in from Mytyres.

If it makes you feel any better lots of us have (and continue to) suffer from the weak finish on the Proteus alloys. A real shame as I love the look of the polished finish (when they are new!)...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/123460-halting-alloy-wheel-lacquer-delamination/page-1?hl=+scout +alloy

For a Skoda Octavia Scout you need...

Wheel:

A PCD of 5 x 112 (5 bolts, each with a 112mm diameter)

ET54 (offset which is the distance between the centreline of the wheel and the plane of the hub mounting surface of the wheel).

7J x 17 H2 (a 7 inch wide wheel rim with a 17 inch diameter).

Tyre:

225/45/ R17 91W

225 = tyre width

45 = tyre profile (height)

R17 = (radial) to fit a 17 inch wheel

91 = load rating

W = speed rating

A lot of people go for a smaller 16 inch wheel size as this allows for cheaper tyres and a higher profile tyre - ideal for absorbing the roughness of a winter road surface as well as maintaining the rolling radius of a standard 17" wheel (for accurate speedo readings).

Skoda recommend the following wheel and tyre in 16"...

205/55 R16 91H 6J (or 6.5J) x 16 H2 with an offset of ET50.

Loads on eBay, do you want black steel wheels (cheaper, bend rather than break but rust) or alloys (better resistance against corosion, look nicer but cost more to buy)?

Edited by silver1011

Sorry, I just edited my post above your latest question!

The speed rating can be lower for a winter tyre than what is required for a summer tyre fitted to the same car. Most Skoda manuals actually make this statement in the manual (with the obvious warning not to exceed the tyres maximum rating).

The reason for this is that high speed winter tyres are rare - for obvious reasons I guess!

The load rating for the Scout is much more important, don't go below what you have now (91).

I too am a fan of the factory fit Dunlops. We are on our second set. However due to our low annual milage (8K) I'll be fitting a set of all-seasons next time to see us through the whole year.

Call me a rebel but this time I went for 205/60, much happier with the car's stance and ground clearance.

Been on a month now and surprise, surprise, all is fine!

Niall

Hi All,

Thanks for your great response !

May go for the Skoda recommended winter tyres/wheels 205/55 R16 - but if these give a speedo under-reading, would 60 profile be better or would that cause over-reading ?

When I got the Scout, at 10 months old, the factory fitted tyres were Dunlop SP Sport 01 and the size 225/50 - everywhere I check for tyres using the reg number, it comes up with 225/45 ! The speedo is spot on with the 50 profile tyres so ???

When I get the Proteus alloys refurbished, I am going to "loose" the shiny spokes and get an all over "silver" if possible finish.

Lloyd

Hi All,

May go for the Skoda recommended winter tyres/wheels 205/55 R16 - but if these give a speedo under-reading, would 60 profile be better or would that cause over-reading ?

When I got the Scout, at 10 months old, the factory fitted tyres were Dunlop SP Sport 01 and the size 225/50 - everywhere I check for tyres using the reg number, it comes up with 225/45 ! The speedo is spot on with the 50 profile tyres so ???

When I get the Proteus alloys refurbished, I am going to "loose" the shiny spokes and get an all over "silver" if possible finish.

Lloyd

My scout came from new with 225/50/17 and I have all ways fitted the same, the label on the fuel flap makes no mention of 45 series tyres,

I have fitted 205/55/16 winter tyres on steel wheels.

225/50R17 is original fit size for Octavia Scout in UK

I was very disappointed in the performance of All-season Nokien eNTyre. From reading some reviews of All-season tyres it seems it would be better to run winter tyres through the summer than suffer the poor wet grip of some All-season tyres.

Checked speedo again tonight on 205/55R16 tyres:

At 70 mph speedo reads 78

At 60 mph speedo reads 66

At 50 mph speedo reads 55

At 40 mph speedo reads 44

At 30 mph speedo reads 33

It seems to be at least 10% off. I guess it over reads a little in any case.

Just run a search on Autotrader for the Octavia Scout and then arrange the results by 'lowest price first'.

The vast majority will have refurbed alloys, all of which will have an all over painted finish. No dealer (or private seller for that matter) pays the extra to maintain the original polished spokes.

Hi All,

I don't know which database all of the online tyre retailers use but it is wrong. The Scout was never supplied with 45 profile tyres.

All the info you need is closer than you think!

DSC06099.jpg

• Like 1

225/50R17 is original fit size for Octavia Scout in UK I was very disappointed in the performance of All-season Nokien eNTyre. From reading some reviews of All-season tyres it seems it would be better to run winter tyres through the summer than suffer the poor wet grip of some All-season tyres. Checked speedo again tonight on 205/55R16 tyres: At 70 mph speedo reads 78 At 60 mph speedo reads 66 At 50 mph speedo reads 55 At 40 mph speedo reads 44 At 30 mph speedo reads 33 It seems to be at least 10% off. I guess it over reads a little in any case.

The change from 225/50R17 to 205/55R16 will make your speedo read 4% fast.  The 16" wheel and tyre wheel will need 811revs/mile whilst the 17" and tyre would only need 780 revs.

If I didn't have so many spare or unused sets of tyres - and no Scout for the time being, I was tempted to try a ridiculous conversion size to see if it could be done.  I even got the OK from my insurers who are happy enough with my other conversions.

I was looking at 175 (/80) R 16 Mich XC4S four season taxi tyres on a 16x6" rim.  (Just check out the pattern and price).  Now whilst these were slightly larger in diameter than the 245/45 R 18 that I had 3 sets of, I believe they would have fitted.

Fortunately I'm able to use the 245s on another car (its a homologated fitment), but would have loved to test my theory.

My view is that as long as you are legal and have the approval of your insurance company, the warranty issue is between you and Skoda (or whoever), so look beyond the prescribed sizes if there is a tyre which you think will suit your application.

If I was playing safe with 16s (and to answer the OP), I would go for the 205/60 16 as Niall has - although the size is on a par with OE diameter.

For 17s there are a few all-season (and winter) options at a slightly higher 225/55 R 17 which will fit and match the GPS speed to the speedo and give about 10mm more snow clearance; although there's now more choice at the default 225/50 size than a couple of years ago.

In other words, the target is actually bigger now, but so is the bullseye.

Edited by Jeeves

225/50R17 is original fit size for Octavia Scout in UK

I was very disappointed in the performance of All-season Nokien eNTyre. From reading some reviews of All-season tyres it seems it would be better to run winter tyres through the summer than suffer the poor wet grip of some All-season tyres.

Checked speedo again tonight on 205/55R16 tyres:

At 70 mph speedo reads 78

At 60 mph speedo reads 66

At 50 mph speedo reads 55

At 40 mph speedo reads 44

At 30 mph speedo reads 33

It seems to be at least 10% off. I guess it over reads a little in any case.

I've been delighted with the Goodyear 4 seasons on the Scout. Even put a set on my old SLK230 with no loss of grip in summer.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently waiting on Skoda UK getting back to me reference Proteus alloy delamination of my replacement set.

I'd be interested in what SUK says about your delamination of the Proteus alloys as they have just refused to contribute to the refurbishment of mine. The car is two years old with 50k on the clock and the local dealer and SUK suggest that the "damage" around the rim is due to poor tyre fitting or "external damage". Utter tosh as the same garage/fitter has replaced five sets between this car and the previous Octavia 4x4 and the Helios alloys on the 4x4 left me at 133k with no problems.

I am contemplating CAB/Trading Standards as I would like to think I have a case under Sale of Goods Act on unsatisfactory quality.

Edited by Forester

lots of us have had the alloys replaced under warranty.

You just need to shout a little louder!

Yep, I told them I was aware they had replaced under warranty for other owners and I was told they looked at each case individually and in my case they considered it external damage and would not contribute. I also got the opinon of a local wheel refurbishment franchise (which refurbishes wheels for the local franchised Skoda dealer) and SUK said they could not take the opinon of a third party. This is after a number of phone calls and a strong letter.

Any tips on where I go from here gratefully received as they have stated categotically they will not contribute to refurbishment - and I am only asking for refurbishment, not replacement, as I don't want the lacquer finish again as it is pretty - but practically useless.

The problem is that the corrosion around the rim will be down to when the tyres were replaced. This isn't down to neglect by the tyre fitters, simply the weakness of the polished finish.

I very much like the look of the polished finish but even now it amazes me where they've decided to apply the finish. The two most vulnerable places on an alloy wheel is the rim and the leading edge of the spokes - exactly where Skoda decided to make the change from painted to polished finish, just daft.

If you've already been knocked back by Skoda UK then I'd say you are unlikely now to get them to change their mind.

When mine were replaced under warranty I first got my dealer on side by making sure the guy taking the pictures and submitting the claim was fully in agreement with me about the cause of the damage. Once he was on side it was easier for him to persuade Skoda UK.

I've also heard that Skoda UK historically have been more generous with warranty claims as they've been building their brand. Now they are established and going from strength to strength they've now started cutting back. 

Saying that you are in warranty. The wheels are designed to have their tyres replaced several times over the course of their life. This damage has occurred after only one tyre change. It is up to Skoda to prove the damage was caused by the tyre fitter, not for you to prove it wasn't.

We all know the changing of the tyres has nothing to do with this. Polished alloys are weak and all of them delaminate eventually.

I wouldn't let this lie and would be vigorously pursuing my dealer and Skoda until I reached a solution I was happy with, however we are all different.

Interestingly the replacement wheels were refurbed and not brand new replacements!

Good luck!

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

I agree with Silver1011.

Basically they are trying to avoid any costings. My wife has just had all 4 alloys replaced after 4 years because of the same except it was Hyundai.........no problem at all, swapped tyres for free and I was cheeky and got winter tyres put on !

Skoda have to be careful, the Kia/Hyundai are going to steal their sales and aftercare is a massive loyalty pull which keeps ppl coming back. I fear the worst for my favourite brand :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update. Following trading standards advice I gathered enough evidence to pursue this under the Sale of Goods Act (SoGA). I set all this out in a letter to SUK's legal department asking them to confirm they were not intending to honour their obligations under SoGA and, if so, I would then send them a summons for a small claims action based on the information I had included in my letter. End result - they offered the amount I had been quoted to refurb the wheels. 

Very disappointed that it had to come to this, it has not left me with a very good impression of SUK customer services.

• 3 months later...

If it makes you feel any better lots of us have (and continue to) suffer from the weak finish on the Proteus alloys. A real shame as I love the look of the polished finish (when they are new!)...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/123460-halting-alloy-wheel-lacquer-delamination/page-1?hl=+scout +alloy

For a Skoda Octavia Scout you need...

Wheel:

A PCD of 5 x 112 (5 bolts, each with a 112mm diameter)

ET54 (offset which is the distance between the centreline of the wheel and the plane of the hub mounting surface of the wheel).

7J x 17 H2 (a 7 inch wide wheel rim with a 17 inch diameter).

Tyre:

225/45/ R17 91W

225 = tyre width

45 = tyre profile (height)

R17 = (radial) to fit a 17 inch wheel

91 = load rating

W = speed rating

A lot of people go for a smaller 16 inch wheel size as this allows for cheaper tyres and a higher profile tyre - ideal for absorbing the roughness of a winter road surface as well as maintaining the rolling radius of a standard 17" wheel (for accurate speedo readings).

Skoda recommend the following wheel and tyre in 16"...

205/55 R16 91H 6J (or 6.5J) x 16 H2 with an offset of ET50.

Loads on eBay, do you want black steel wheels (cheaper, bend rather than break but rust) or alloys (better resistance against corosion, look nicer but cost more to buy)?

I've just noticed a mistake with a previous post of mine.

The standard tyre profile of the Scout is 50 NOT 45 (highlighted in the quote in bold).

For some reason all of the online tyre retailers recommend a 45 profile for the Scout which is incorrect.