How To: Install Rear Door Puddle LED's

Bowders1

Ok Folks,

After successfully fitting puddles lights to Front doors

This Thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296063-how-to-install-front-door-puddle-leds/

Next up was the rear doors.

The job was actually quite easy when i worked out how I was going to get the power to the leds and to work with the door door lock open/close.

I used the same led's that i fitted to the front doors and found them a perfect length to fit at the bottom of the  door.

Remove the door panel.

- 7 torx screws around the outer panel

- unclip electric window switch panel / remove plug

- unplug tweeter wire (or wait till panel off to remove, if you find it too fiddly)

- 1 cross head screw behind chrome door release handle

- plastic grab handle(this can be tricky but can do it  easy now without damage)

remove door release cable from back of panel and it is now free.  

Cut door membrane about half way up from bottom to get to wire loom and plugs.

Here is a pic of the wiring we need to get to

Item 73 = Door Control module

Item 85 = Door Lock Mechanism

01-12-201318-40-32_zps97313daf.png

Wire number 10 is a thick red and brown to get 12v from the control module

Wire number 5 is a thin blue wire to get switchable earth from the door lock 

You need to remove the door/window control module and cut cable tie and remove the black cable sheathing (although if like mine just flaked off due to probable water damage.

Wire number 10

2013-12-01121907_zpse28392b4.jpg

Wire number 5

2013-12-01121903_zpsc5d478cb.jpg

i decided that it would be best to have a removable plug in the wires I was going to add,  as would make life easier when removing door panel in future, so had some spare rear speaker make/female connectors that were perfect as you can just press in one side to release quickly. (you can see these at bottom of the wires i scotch locked to wire numbers 5 and 10.

2013-11-30161800_zps1c59e2a4.jpg.

by the way i tweaked the scotch lock metal clamps a little to make a bit bigger so to not completely break the large red / brown wires

2013-12-01122006_zpsed11a080.jpg

I then cleaned up the existing door looms and wrapped up with black insulation tape

Also tape up the door membrane and sealed it from water escaping. You can see the removal plug socket just poking out ready from the led's 

2013-12-01132313_zps86f9ca19.jpg

Then I concentrated on the door panel

I laid the led's across the panel to test for length and fitting. I then clean off panel with tar/panel cleaner as I did with the front doors. I also warmed up led's before fitting to to get adhesion better.

I then drilled a 3mm hole for wires to go through

2013-12-01113217_zps03a1fc56.jpg

I fitted the led's as per the fronts right at the bottom with the led's position just off center  to enable clearance for dorr rubbers.

2013-12-01113544_zps7969a16e.jpg

quick test before fitting panel

2013-12-01114224_zpsaf4d4c67.jpg

All cool.

re fit panel and admire the view........

2013-12-01115411_zps77b1d4bf.jpg

2013-12-01171341_zpseb935529.jpg

2013-12-01171450_zps74d97a6c.jpg

20131201_205548_zpsc1e22a13.jpg

20131201_205507_zps6e5b6202.jpg

Hope you like

Best £8 for 4 puddle light doors I have ever spent..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Bowders,

When you did the rear door open lamps how did you resolve the recessing into the door trim?, or did you come up with a more creative solution.

I have been wanting to do this since I bought the car, but that has always put me off as the fromt trim appears to have a moulded recess in it.

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Bowders,

When you did the rear door open lamps how did you resolve the recessing into the door trim?, or did you come up with a more creative solution.

I have been wanting to do this since I bought the car, but that has always put me off as the fromt trim appears to have a moulded recess in it.

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil.

I too thought about doing a number of things, including heating up the panel and pushing in the little indents. I thought better of it and just cut out a hole and a little extra lug at the top(you can just see that in the first pic below) as TBH the seating is still pretty good and you hardly notice.

20131208_1042271_zps2c246ca5.jpg

20131208_104306_11_zps1469157a.jpg

20131208_2101431_zpsa9bf0598.jpg

20131208_2102091_zps97b2b7ce.jpg

cheers

Mark

Edited by Bowders1
  • Like 1

Thanks for that Mark, just out of interest, how thick is the doorcard in that area?, as I've been pondering on bonding a piece of ABS plastic cutout like you have done about 2cm bigger than the lamp, behind the doorcard.

I was then thinkong of making the cut in the otiginal card the same shape as the circumference of the lamp, thereby allowing it to become recessed like the front card.

As you have already done a lot of this, do you think my idea would fly or is it destined for the bin?.

Many thanks

Phil

• Like 1

Thanks for that Mark, just out of interest, how thick is the doorcard in that area?, as I've been pondering on bonding a piece of ABS plastic cutout like you have done about 2cm bigger than the lamp, behind the doorcard.

I was then thinkong of making the cut in the otiginal card the same shape as the circumference of the lamp, thereby allowing it to become recessed like the front card.

As you have already done a lot of this, do you think my idea would fly or is it destined for the bin?.

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil, that sound's a great Idea buddy

I think you have just enough room to make a plastic section 2cm wider if you fit light where i did and not any lower down panel.

You can't see the light in panel from inside the car as the rear arch and seat are covering the panel also even from outside with light open you can't see the light is not recessed and I am anal about jobs on my car.

But if you feel up to it go for it dude

Will try it your way first, as i'm all for least line of resistance :rofl: .  If I think it looks odd, then i'll get busy with the plastic, as it's always easier to cut a bigger hole, not so easy to put stuff back.

Thanks for the input Mark, just need a couple of dry days now :wall: .

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello
I have done the fronts and they were very easy ,
I tried to do the backs.

My car is an Octavia  MK2 VRS estate 08 plate, the wires you said use are a different colour to the diagram and I was wondering if anybody has the wiring diagram for the rear door or can anybody tell me which wires I have to use .

While I was on I did the little green LED in the door handle job and that looks good so not a complete waste of time :-)

Looking forward to any help or advice

Dave

In which case you need to use a multimeter or a wiring diagram for a mk2 to establish earth and doorswitch live in the loom.

If you can give a little more info on your vrs - engine code, year, then I'll try and help you.

In which case you need to use a multimeter or a wiring diagram for a mk2 to establish earth and doorswitch live in the loom.

If you can give a little more info on your vrs - engine code, year, then I'll try and help you.

Thanks for the reply . I will have a look in the day light and get back to you

Thanks again for your time :-)

When I say engine code, I mean codes like BMA, CEGA, BMN etc. , not the full engine number. Whether it is manual or dsg would also help.

Also, bearing in mind yours is a mk2, may just be worth checking with someone like Mike Holroyd or Tech1e who seem to know what can and can't be done on these systems on the mk2 forum to make sure you wont upset your Body Control Module by doing this.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I like this mod, but don't have the expertise to undertake. 

Anyone know, where I could take it in the Midlands to get done at a reasonable price?

• 1 year later...

Curious how this lasted over time. I've done it on my old Hyundai 2 years ago and they were not holding on to the plastic too well... All good for 2 weeks til one day when they sagged too much and the moment I shut the door closed I heard a crack and I knew I screwed them up...

• 8 months later...