CG Motorsports - Dual Friction Clutch & DMF Review

Mounty

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a review of my new dual friction clutch and dual mass flywheel from CG Motorsports, which was fitted to my 2004 Fabia vRS on Friday.

So, I arrived at CG Motorsports at around 9.45am on Friday and left the car with them overnight, as we was staying in Leeds for the weekend. At around 2pm I got a call to say it was ready, however I left it with them overnight due to being intoxicated with alcohol!!

Saturday arrived to pick the Fabia up and Andy at CG Motorsports took me out for a test drive to demo the clutch kit. He advised that when pulling away in 1st gear the car will judder slightly. Apparently that is perfectly normal! Andy went onto show me how it held the torque, then arrived back to the garage and requested me to take it out by myself. He wanted me to listen out for any noises and see how it felt, as they could answer any queries and rectify anything before I leave.

I took the Fabia out and experienced the judder in first gear. Bit strange, but he advised to adjust the way I use the clutch when pulling away. After driving around the block several times, being gentle with the clutch for obvious reasons, my traction control light came on after 10 minutes or so! He just said it was my traction control light and it went out after I switched the ignition off then back on. Andy also stated that they tested my gear box oil to make sure the orginal flywheel hadn't done any damage. They said all looked okay, so I was happy with everything.

I then travelled to a Leeds City Centre car park and on my journey the traction control light came on again. After parking it I phoned CG Motorsports and Andy advised to disconnect the battery for a minimum of an hour. Apparently it would help reset the ECU and flush out any false positives. He also mentioned that it could be something to do with the wheels being off the ground in the workshop. I will disconnect the battery when home on Sunday.

So, after travelling home today, the first gear juddering issue was getting on my nerves! It's like you can't drive properly! Once out of first gear, the gear changes are very smooth and the transmission noises / bangs when driving have all gone. It is so much quieter thank god.

There has been a weird smell in the car (like a welding smell or something), but I assume it's a bedding in smell.

Overall, I'm very happy with the service CG Motorsports have supplied, but just concerned as to whether I'll get used to the first gear juddering issue. Also, I am just hoping that this clutch kit lasts a few years, as when pulling away, it's like you're ridding the clutch due to revving it to reduce the juddering feel. I'm also praying this traction control issue goes away after disconnecting the battery, as this is something that hasn't occurred prior to visiting CG Motorsports.

If anyone has this exact clutch kit, please can you advise if you experience the first gear juddering issue?

Many thanks,

My Sachs race juddered in first, once it bedded in and I adjusted clutch control it was fine. Just give it more revs when pulling off and it'll get smoother.

Does it go away completely, or will I have to live with it until I either sell the car or the clutch needs replacing? Cheers

What type of clutch do you have? Is it dual friction or organic etc?

Also, is it just the way sports clutches are designed? Just wondering why it happens!

SMF mate, rattles a bit but gotta compromise in order to run decent torque :)

SMF mate, rattles a bit but gotta compromise in order to run decent torque :)

The only issue with mine is this 1st gear judder when pulling away. Barring that, I'm pretty happy with the noise and how smooth it is when changing gear. Just conscious of messing the clutch up if it's not supposed to do that juddering thing.

When I say it judders, it's like the ABS has kicked when pulling away! Bloody annoying!!

Also, disconnecting the battery hasn't fixed the traction control light issue! So something has obviously been dislodged when replacing the clutch. Never had this issue before, so pretty miffed off as it's now gonna cost £££'s to get it checked.

When I say it judders, it's like the ABS has kicked when pulling away! Bloody annoying!!

Also, disconnecting the battery hasn't fixed the traction control light issue! So something has obviously been dislodged when replacing the clutch. Never had this issue before, so pretty miffed off as it's now gonna cost £££'s to get it checked.

Just take it back and tell them your not happy. Did they not advise you of the annoying problems with SMF conversions before you had the work done?

That's the problem most have with SMF conversions. I'd have stuck with a dmf myself as they can still handle the torque and drive spot on

Was the DMF that was ****ed on mine not the clutch which was failing after running too much power / torque.

Was the DMF that was ****** on mine not the clutch which was failing after running too much power / torque.

My DMF was goosed too! The clutch was just starting to go, but looking at the state of the original DMF, it wasn't good at all! It's just that this weird issue from pulling away in 1st gear that's really doing me in. I've spent a lot of money for this kit and now I've got to spend more to diagnose the traction control light issue and not entirely happy with the 1st gear issue. The Mrs will go knuts if she knows how I'm feeling about this issue!

My DMF was goosed too! The clutch was just starting to go, but looking at the state of the original DMF, it wasn't good at all! It's just that this weird issue from pulling away in 1st gear that's really doing me in. I've spent a lot of money for this kit and now I've got to spend more to diagnose the traction control light issue and not entirely happy with the 1st gear issue. The Mrs will go knuts if she knows how I'm feeling about this issue!

Shouldn't have to pay anything mate.....take it back to CG, was fine before you took it to them....

The traction control is part of ABS system so I'm guessing something has been damaged.

Shouldn't have to pay anything mate.....take it back to CG, was fine before you took it to them....

The traction control is part of ABS system so I'm guessing something has been damaged.

Thanks mate, I will see if CG pickup on this post and go from there.

Why not just call them in the morning and give them a chance to put it right before posting here any more, they've obviously disturbed an ABS sensor, the wiring or reluctor ring while removing the driveshafts. To be honest I'm surprised 'Andy' let the car go like that since he should have instantly twigged something wasn't right.

• Like 2

Just for everyone who does not know what a flywheel does its just a surface for the clutch to grip against, being solid or dual mass does not make a difference its the weight of it. Heavy flywheel makes its easy and smooth to pull off but a super light one will be harder to pull off thats why you normally need more revs. The dual mass is just for sound deadening purposes really but being heavy makes it nice and smooth. Its the clutch plate itself that will make the difference awsell obviously the more grip the more bight and coupled with a light flywheel is going to be alot different from your heavy flywheel and standard clutch.

I have a smf conversion but its super heavy and its silent with a very smooth pull off still.

• Like 1