Introduction MKII VRS

mdking

Hi all,

As I have been abit of a forum ninja  :ph34r:. I thought it was time to introduce me and the new car.

I recently made the move from a Renault Sport Clio 197 57 Plate, Great car, great brakes. But, It had its flaws, brakes used to freeze and bind in cold weather. It did not like the cold, and the MPG wasnt the best. Not to mention the Tax bracket. Don't mention the Gearbox  :wall:

I was offered a new job in Sept 13 and thought about the daily trip on the M25. I knew i wanted to change the Clio, but what too. 

Following a series of phone calls to different dealers within Kent, I found the car. A few calls and visits later....

post-65411-0-89206300-1386540356_thumb.jpg

post-65411-0-16069700-1386540369_thumb.jpg

I picked the Vrs up with a smile on my face and the trip showing just over 400miles from new (Sept 2013 CTHE). 

Over the last few weeks, I have been getting used to the DSG flappy stuff. Its abit of a change from the Clio, but its great!. The Vrs, is easy to drive and its not a chore to overtake if needed. The clio was great, but it felt like it was always on edge, buzzing just under 4k at 70mph. Where as the Vrs is 2.5k  :giggle:

I wanted to see what could be achiveable from the 1.4 TSI. 

post-65411-0-75861500-1386540720_thumb.jpg

That was at 600 miles... Now the Vrs is at 4217  :giggle:

Regarding the oil consumption... Well, this came up whilst doing my research and even though it read for some worrying reading, im glad it didn't put me of. (You should see the amount of threads regarding the Clio Rs 197/200 gearbox (Or chocolate gearbox they are known as).

I checked the oil before leaving the dealer.

400 miles - 100%

1650 miles - 75% (Top'd up to the max line)

2735 miles - 100%

3479 miles - 75%

4217 miles - around 60% from the max line.

I try to check every sunday evening. Always filled with Vpower +

There is a few bits I would like todo, I shall probably put a thread up soon.

Matt  :thumbup:

Edited by mdking
  • Like 3

Welcome Matt, glad you like the fabia

Very true, whilst we may all gripe about our inherent flaws it seems to be common across all manufacturers, it seems the whole industry has plenty room for improvement, i wonder if they didnt constantly strive for new models then maybe they could actually perfect a car one of these days.

That bei g said id love a shot in a vrs but id probably be too scared to get one with all the oil talk always going on but yours seems pretty good on the face of things.

• Like 1

If you chuck approx £1K at the chassis it will be nearly as good as the clio on track for handling whilst still more comfortable.

Thats poly bush suspension, lower engine mount, front/rear ARB, lowering springs.  I could keep up with Clio's though the corner no issues in mine, obviously on the straights having an extra 50hp/110lbft meant that there was no contest on the straights, mine was already pulling over 197Hp by 4000rpm lol.

Id recommend the brakes get a few tweaks as well.  Once you have done that, IMO it is a much better car than the clio.  

• Like 2

Thanks Noggy. Fingers corssed. 

Welcome Matt, glad you like the fabia

Very true, whilst we may all gripe about our inherent flaws it seems to be common across all manufacturers, it seems the whole industry has plenty room for improvement, i wonder if they didnt constantly strive for new models then maybe they could actually perfect a car one of these days.

That bei g said id love a shot in a vrs but id probably be too scared to get one with all the oil talk always going on but yours seems pretty good on the face of things.

thanks, thats good to know.

The car is currently on lease, so there is a fine line to be drawn with modifactions at this time. But you never know.

Currently on the hunt for a good indipendant vw / skoda specailist in Kent. I would prefer to use them than a run of the mill dealer (for servicing).

If you chuck approx £1K at the chassis it will be nearly as good as the clio on track for handling whilst still more comfortable.

Thats poly bush suspension, lower engine mount, front/rear ARB, lowering springs.  I could keep up with Clio's though the corner no issues in mine, obviously on the straights having an extra 50hp/110lbft meant that there was no contest on the straights, mine was already pulling over 197Hp by 4000rpm lol.

Id recommend the brakes get a few tweaks as well.  Once you have done that, IMO it is a much better car than the clio.  

If its lease then maybe drop the poly bushes if its on lease but the other stuff is an easy swap back to OEM for not much dollar.

Maybe try the TMC tuning box instead of the poly bushes.  That will give you 200-210hp/230lbft and its an easy fit/remove job so shouldnt effect the lease either.

Is the TMC box detecable if the car went back to a dealer?

If its lease then maybe drop the poly bushes if its on lease but the other stuff is an easy swap back to OEM for not much dollar.

Maybe try the TMC tuning box instead of the poly bushes.  That will give you 200-210hp/230lbft and its an easy fit/remove job so shouldnt effect the lease either.

welcome mdking, I have done ober 62k in these cars (i've had 2 ) and not had to worry about oil ;) here's my current build thread :)http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/290466-phantom-fabia-ii-vrs-estate/ a bit of fettling makes them quite nice, I was dropping a scooby quite easily at my last track day at oulton park, and I'm not the fatsest driver ;) (I had an instructor in with me at the time though!)

edit: love the colour by the way!

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

Hi Matt the ninja,

Your fuel economy is looking impressive, sensible side of me is impressed!

Good to hear you are enjoying your new wheels and that you rate the car when compared to the clio. Love the colour....lol, still waiting for mine, got told a build date of week 6 next year few weeks ago and got given the use of a citigo with a missing cylinder in meantime as way of an apology for the meteor grey issue and me being left without a car, when I do get back in a vrs it will make my head spin.

Wrighty

• Like 1

a bit of fettling makes them quite nice, I was dropping a scooby quite easily at my last track day at oulton park, and I'm not the fatsest driver ;) (I had an instructor in with me at the time though!)

Suburu Impreza's are one of the best kept secrets ever.  Everyone things they are fast but they are not at all unless you go for the Limited Edition models like the WR1 etc.  The WRX'S and even the STIs in the older models werent exactly pushing alot of power considering their engine size, they suffer woeful turbo lag, and i mean woeful, they are heavy and they also suffer alot more transmission loss (typically around 5-8%) than a typical FWD car.  The only things suburus bring to the party IMO is traction.

Suburu Impreza's are one of the best kept secrets ever.  Everyone things they are fast but they are not at all unless you go for the Limited Edition models like the WR1 etc.  The WRX'S and even the STIs in the older models werent exactly pushing alot of power considering their engine size, they suffer woeful turbo lag, and i mean woeful, they are heavy and they also suffer alot more transmission loss (typically around 5-8%) than a typical FWD car.  The only things suburus bring to the party IMO is traction.

yeah, but it was one the FAST cars from my yoof Sy! you know what I mean, one I wanted as a teenager because of all the mad performance figures ect ;) I guess tech has moved on since then!

if its any more relavent to the OP I passed a clio 172 twice ;)

Edited by sharkrider

Hi Matt the ninja,

Your fuel economy is looking impressive, sensible side of me is impressed!

Good to hear you are enjoying your new wheels and that you rate the car when compared to the clio. Love the colour....lol, still waiting for mine, got told a build date of week 6 next year few weeks ago and got given the use of a citigo with a missing cylinder in meantime as way of an apology for the meteor grey issue and me being left without a car, when I do get back in a vrs it will make my head spin.

Wrighty

I hope you get yours soon. :)

• Like 1

welcome mdking, I have done ober 62k in these cars (i've had 2 ) and not had to worry about oil ;) here's my current build thread :)http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/290466-phantom-fabia-ii-vrs-estate/ a bit of fettling makes them quite nice, I was dropping a scooby quite easily at my last track day at oulton park, and I'm not the fatsest driver ;) (I had an instructor in with me at the time though!)

Thanks for the info. I have seen your thread, looks like your having fun on track :).

I shall first have to find a dealer / Indi Dealer  within the sout east that I can trust with servicing the Vrs. The TMC box looks like a nice option. Also looking at the Skoda Approved spings... 

yeah, i got the eibachs, ordered on my 2new car" order form ;) so warranty intact, I have used a TMC box on my previous vRS (on setting 7) and it gave 200bhp all the way from 5-7k (with no other mods) which is cool because on full chat with the DSG7 it changes at 7k and drops to 5.5 ish, so you are getting that full power all the time! other people have seen up to 213bhp depending on other mods, air filter exhaust ect .... and done sub 6 seconds 0-60 times! (sy has a leaderboard running somewhere!) standard cars give about 6.5 seconds, someone just ran one recently that gave 6.6 seconds standard, so they are quicker than skoda say ;)

I havent messed with the engine on my new one, and oddly it feels faster than the old engine with the box on!

with a view to warrenty , i'm thinking of "replacement parts" i.e i have a pipercross filter NOT an air box, I will be polybushing in the future, so just replacing bushes, dampers with bilstiens ect ect ... want to keep the engine and gearbox covered for the next 3 years! lol... then i will be onto remapping, bigger intercooler exhaust ect , after the warrenty has run out.... some people say tracking the car voids the warrenty, but my dealer is quite happy for me to do it with no issues at all, they just put the yellowstuff pads on for me :)

maybe you should get a build thread underway ;)

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

It is dead simple for the Dealer to be OK on Warranty matters, Tracking, used in Motorsport etc, not aware that a Tuning Box was fitted,

they do not foot the Warranty Bill, they get paid to carry out the work.

Any idea by Skoda UK or the Warranty Underwriter  that a dealer turns a blind eye when submitting a Warranty Claim on behalf of a Customer is a rather different matter.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

page 6.

george

• Like 1

yeah, i got the eibachs, ordered on my 2new car" order form ;) so warranty intact, I have used a TMC box on my previous vRS (on setting 7) and it gave 200bhp all the way from 5-7k (with no other mods) which is cool because on full chat with the DSG7 it changes at 7k and drops to 5.5 ish, so you are getting that full power all the time! other people have seen up to 213bhp depending on other mods, air filter exhaust ect .... and done sub 6 seconds 0-60 times! (sy has a leaderboard running somewhere!) standard cars give about 6.5 seconds, someone just ran one recently that gave 6.6 seconds standard, so they are quicker than skoda say ;)

I havent messed with the engine on my new one, and oddly it feels faster than the old engine with the box on!

with a view to warrenty , i'm thinking of "replacement parts" i.e i have a pipercross filter NOT an air box, I will be polybushing in the future, so just replacing bushes, dampers with bilstiens ect ect ... want to keep the engine and gearbox covered for the next 3 years! lol... then i will be onto remapping, bigger intercooler exhaust ect , after the warrenty has run out.... some people say tracking the car voids the warrenty, but my dealer is quite happy for me to do it with no issues at all, they just put the yellowstuff pads on for me :)

maybe you should get a build thread underway ;)

I shall create a thread :). Need to give the car a clean first....

It is dead simple for the Dealer to be OK on Warranty matters, Tracking, used in Motorsport etc, not aware that a Tuning Box was fitted,

they do not foot the Warranty Bill, they get paid to carry out the work.

Any idea by Skoda UK or the Warranty Underwriter  that a dealer turns a blind eye when submitting a Warranty Claim on behalf of a Customer is a rather different matter.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

page 6.

george

Thanks George for the infomation. Now, to find a good garge in the south east.

• 2 weeks later...

Md King - not sure if this is what you want.  They are a Skoda Garage, a bit old fashioned, and when I last went in for my 2nd Service they did not sell new cars from the garage but sold 2nd hand (nearly new) and are an official service/repair centre and listed on Skoda's site.  (Sidcup Kent - not sure if this is near to you)

Might be worth a try and they are not the run of the mill shiny franchise operation.

They did a very good job on my 2nd Service and very friendly little outfit.

Cheers

http://www.skoda.co.uk/dealers/saunders-abbott

• 2 months later...

Well, I thought I would update this thread.

Since purchasing the car in sept 2013, I have now just clocked over 8000miles. I can see from the maxi dot that the car seems to be on a variable servicing schedule. That's not for me, to be honest. I would prefer a once a year service.

So as the car is coming upto 9400miles, I need to look at getting the vrs serviced :). Still in two minds if to use a Skoda dealer or an indipendant garage. Slight problem is, I can't seem to find any indi's around my area (kent).

Apart from that, the car has been great. No problems, oil has been checked every 1k odd miles. Used around 1.5 litres since new. DSG is fine, no real problems. Only slight grumble would be in manual, it seems abit slow on the downshifts (could possibly be me asking to much to quickly).

The current tyres are ok. CS2. Not a patch on the Goodyear F1AS2. That's the next tyre choice :)

Brakes are ok, not as good as the Clio 197, but I'm sure that can be improved.

• Like 1

nice to see you have a good engine :) mine is also variable, but i did it at 10k anyway, i wouldnt be worried about main dealer, price should be less than £100.... tyres? they are very sensitive, as I'msure you know reading the threads! lol... brakes? I have put yellow stuff pads on, cures overheating and brake fade :)

I like posts about "good" vRS's! lol...

Have fun

Shark.

• Like 1

nice to see you have a good engine :) mine is also variable, but i did it at 10k anyway, i wouldnt be worried about main dealer, price should be less than £100.... tyres? they are very sensitive, as I'msure you know reading the threads! lol... brakes? I have put yellow stuff pads on, cures overheating and brake fade :)

I like posts about "good" vRS's! lol...

Have fun

Shark.

Regarding the oil, I commute around 60miles in total to work each day. I'm not sure if that has an effect on the oil situation?

Dealers have been quoting around 130 currently.

Not sure if it matters where you get the first service done,it's basically just an oil change.(My vRS is on annual servicing.)

But personally I would take the car to the same dealer where I would take it for warranty work,my reasoning being that you are acquiring some goodwill that way and so,hopefully,a good standard of customer service.

• Like 2

Regarding the oil, I commute around 60miles in total to work each day. I'm not sure if that has an effect on the oil situation?

Dealers have been quoting around 130 currently.

I believe it does. I class my 2011 CAVE engined VRS as a gudden'

It uses some oil, but since I've changed jobs and now have a longer commute of 60 miles a day, I have noticed she uses less oil.