Octavia gearbox oil change

Hi

Just checking there isnt any nasties to changing the gearbox oil on my 2002 TDi ASV Octavia, I have noticed the gearbox can be stiff and stick in gear when cold so i hopping putting the right oil in will cure it, I got some oil from VW today i was surprised how cheap £13.13 for 2 ltrs.

As far as I know, it's straightforward. When mine was at my local Indie for some other work a couple of years ago, when she had hit 100k miles, I asked him to renew the gearbox oil too.

He only charged me for the cost of the oil, because in his words 'the labour is about 30 seconds...'

Mine is a petrol VRs, and I have to say, the difference in shift quality was like night and day, especially on a cold box.

Well worth doing, for shift quality as well as peace of mind IMO.

Did this to my vRS in the summer, it was a pretty easy job, I assume it will be a similar setup on yours, one thing I will say is make sure you take out the filler bung before the drain bung.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I did a guide to change gearbox oil here in techi section

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/276400-how-to-replace-gearbox-oil/

very easy to do.

Does make a different to gear change

I would also recommend a gear linkage adjustment as that can also really fix the gear change more than a oil change TBH if linkage is out.

• 3 years later...