Yeti 4x4 Info

MartynVRS

Thinking of getting one of these now my commute is longer, on mid Wales roads so I need good economy but still has to be fun. They seem to be breeding around here as I've seen quite a few lately.

All I'm after is a 2.0 TDI 170 4x4. Not too bothered about age but mileage still has to be respectable. What sort of prices are these at now? I'm hopefully buying my first house around Spring/Summer time so don't want to spend too much. If it's roughly a swap for my vRS and some cash either way it would be ideal. Is there anything I need to look out for?

It seems the extra 20k-30k miles effects prices quite a bit.

Not many around under £15k, but two on Autotrader (search Yeti 170) with asking prices of under £13k...

This looks OK, 67k miles, 3.5 years old.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310249436910/sort/default/usedcars/transmission/manual/keywords/170/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/skoda/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/page/1/model/yeti/radius/1501/postcode/e95hj?logcode=p

Elegance: xenons, leather, heated front seats, cruise, bluetooth etc... plus the panoramic roof.

That's an option. What MPG is yours doing now its mapped?

I average around 50mpg on the display, but real terms it's 47mpg if you take track days and towing out.

Bare in mind some of the other guys/girls get a bit less, but my driving is typically open roads with enough other traffic to limit speed to 60-70mph.

I didn't notice any difference to economy when it was mapped as you don't use the extra grunt much more than a few extra seconds for building speed.

It goes off the line like a scalded cat though with 200-210bhp, plenty of torque and the pre-sensing Haldex 4 that doesn't wait for wheelspin at the front before sending power to the rear.

I'd expect it's similar in 0-60mph time to your VRS, but probably quicker to 30mph as it has a traction advantage.

edit:

The stage 1 map seems ideal as stage 2 only gives another 10-15bhp and means removal of the DPF.

I avoided this as I don't like the smoky exhaust look.

Possibly just as well with the newer MOT rules I've been hearing about.

• Like 2

Reminds me of this clip James I made at Bedford, from his mkII Fabia VRS.

This was completely stock other than the Jabba map.

I've since changed the ARBs for better cornering, and stuck some better pads in.

• Like 3

Ha. Is that all on standard brakes ?

Mostly yes.

It's still stock discs but I put some slightly better front pads in for Castle Combe in Sept.

Still on the factory fit tyres too...

Mostly yes.

It's still stock discs but I put some slightly better front pads in for Castle Combe in Sept.

Still on the factory fit tyres too...

what pads are you using out of interest Richard? Is the fluid standard? :)

How are the DS2500s when stone cold ?

I've used Carbotech XP10 compound before on a Passat, very very good when hot - but first application from cold or after a long period with no braking was a bit wooden. And they also squealed if they didn't get abused enough. But when hot, simply awesome and I never managed to fade them. Black dust. Quite expensive too. XP8 compound may have been a better choice.

I now have EBC yellow compound on the Focus. Quite good when hot (although not as good as the XP10) but still not brilliant when cold, despite what EBC claim. They've never squealed, and the dust levels are low. Probably the wrong choice of compound for road use on the Focus really, as it never really gets any heat into them. Perhaps reds would have been better. Quite cheap though!

Have you tried any others for comparison ?

I find them fine from cold.

No, they are well thought of and I am more than happy with them so didn't bother trying all sorts.

In the dry I can get tyre squeal under hard braking from reasonable speeds, so I don't need any more capability really considering it is a high riding family diesel car that gets a bit of fun use.

Reminds me of this clip James I made at Bedford, from his mkII Fabia VRS.

This was completely stock other than the Jabba map.

I've since changed the ARBs for better cornering, and stuck some better pads in.

What's the spec of the Fabia chasing you ?

What's the spec of the Fabia chasing you ?

Standard Fabia mk2 VRS.

So 180bhp, 7 speed DSG, lower than Yeti ride height etc...

Think they are around 300kg lighter, but this had a passenger.

They are quite evenly matched to a Yeti170 with a map.

Problem with the Yeti is it was getting the ESC on in the corners and taking away the possibilty of accelerating out of the bends well, which was the reason I then went and changed the ARBs to remove this.  I spend the day at Bedford above driving gently around the ESC in the corners, it was trying to save me too much if I pushed too hard.