The Twins. (And Yeti RS)

BossFox

Better watch out for the lift off oversteer now. ;)

I bet you can probably get another 50kg out at Combe no?  Does it have a full size spare? :D

What oversteer? ;)

Spare is 20mm thiner, so effectively full size.  Think another 20kg or so.

I may have also borrowed the carbon buckets from the Citigo-go just to really unbalance it! :D

That driver seat is leather, heated and has about 4 motors in in.  I think it's 30kg+ !!!

So maybe 50kg front seats, 50kg back seats and 20kg spare.

Not bad off a car that goes around 1550kg.

That's like another 17bhp, but I didn't want any more power as I like my DPF.  No soot = happy children. ;)

2.5mm is semi slick enough for me, if you need them I have four conti's that will be on the club stand as spares.  

My Yeti is booked in a week on Friday for the 95,000 mile service (probably an oil change knowing Leaseplan)

I knew the Leaf wasn't gonna save you any money in the long run ...
I bet every time you come home seeing that Yeti standing Idle in the driveway, not having anything done to it, you're thinking
"What if I added ..." / "What if I tweaked <insert engine or undercarriage part> juuuusst a bit ... " ;)

*hides*

• Like 1

I knew the Leaf wasn't gonna save you any money in the long run ...

I bet every time you come home seeing that Yeti standing Idle in the driveway, not having anything done to it, you're thinking

"What if I added ..." / "What if I tweaked <insert engine or undercarriage part> juuuusst a bit ... " ;)

*hides*

I still need a tow car for the Citigo. :)

Otherwise I'd have to seriosuly think about parting with it... :bandit:

What oversteer? ;)

You are obviously running the standard anti roll bars then! ;) Taking the rears out is detrimental - that 50kg over the rear is beneficial overall although you can certainly feel the weight reduction. I'll be very interested to here what you think about it without the weight over the rear axel. :)

You are obviously running the standard anti roll bars then! ;) Taking the rears out is detrimental - that 50kg over the rear is beneficial overall although you can certainly feel the weight reduction. I'll be very interested to here what you think about it without the weight over the rear axel. :)

Not any more.

The Golf H&R ones are a direct fit. :)

So for tomorrow at Combe I'm going to be running improved ARBs and will be around 100kg lighter than before.

Not any more.

The Golf H&R ones are a direct fit. :)

So for tomorrow at Combe I'm going to be running improved ARBs and will be around 100kg lighter than before.

Is the rear set to the softer setting? Mines on the firmest now and it's way too tail happy in the wet. I found loosing the weight over the rear made this worse (less weight over the rear driven wheels = less effective rear end grip??) hence ill be genuinely interested to hear how you go. :)

Oh yes, both on the stiffest setting.

I like it a bit loose, makes it more fun to drive.

Seats are all out, may leave the spare in, plus I have the towbar on still for protection. ;)

• Like 1

All the work paid off Richard, Yeti was well sorted and slayed many an Octy and Fabia today at Castle Combe, NOT only did you and Yeti do well on track but you have encouraged a whole generation of Yoofs to think again about what is cool, even to the point of said Yoofs approaching you to talk about the cool Yeti!!

Great day out too, as always a pleasure to meet you and the other guys.

• Like 2

Yes, it feels really good now.

The grip and balance on the handling is spot on.

I can go hard into a corner on late braking, let the rear get a bit loose, balance the car nicely through the corner and keep it just sliding a little bit then use 100% throttle from the apex due to the haldex4.

Unless I really overcook it the car doesn't lean enough now for the stability control to get interested, so it's so much quicker through corners it's amazing.

One of your shots James, this was the most lean I seemed to get all day.

k5ls.jpg

• Like 4

Richard, so currently, you have the bars set up on their firmest settings both front and rear? Weight wise you removed the rear seats and the spare wheel? On mine and in the wet/damp, i find that setup makes the rear too mobile for my liking and I just find there's too much movement in the rear suspension, the front compresses too much under extreme braking and I'd even say that I feel that the rear is less able in terms of the pushing out of high speed corners somehow. What tyres are you running? Was the track damp or dry? :)

No, I left the spare in and the towbar on for a bit of weight at the back.

Yes, both on firmist setting. Dry. P Zero stock tyres.

Hmm, apparently my reply from the mobile didnt post yesterday... Thanks for the info, Im wondering whether to do a set of lowering springs on her now or leave her but I cant help but think mine is a little too frisky in the wet when pushing on... Perhaps some of the polybushes have actually been detrimental to the handling in this respect - making the rear suspension too firm with the reduced compression within the setup.

I'm not 100% sure what effect lowering springs would have, but I like the stock height and it's a bility to run over bumps while hardly feeling them.

Possibly, the fact mine has more give in the rear end is helping it.

As it's diesel it's heavier than yours anyway.  The 1.8tsi should have a better front/rear weight balance.

All I know is I don't want to change anything else because it feels spot on now.

You can get the back out, but after a bit of movement it's easy to hold it in place.

It never feels like it wants to come round when you balance it on the corner.

Ive stayed away from lowering this car for exactly the reason you state - comfort over bumps and tarmac joins etc - makes it more of a b road weapon than something thats solid and dropped imo. My gut says to keep it standard in that respect still. I also would have thought my petrol would be better balanced front/rear. Anyway, glad you had a good outing over the weekend. Surprisingly capable for a family crossover Im sure you'd agree. :rock:

• Like 1

You're welcome to pop over to mid-Herts to check out the lowered (Koni) springs on Kevin.

Perhaps a tad frisky over the bumps but once settled into a corner he handles really well with less roll than standard.  Also help with anti-dive under braking.

Guy