Iceland - Yellow vRS 2002

TwoTone

Hi there. My nickname says quite a bit, but ThreeTone or even FourTone would be appropriate, but TwoTone sounds (reads) even better.
The nickname is because of my Yellow darling, he´s in many tones of Yellow, sadly. But will fix that as soon as possible!

I have been thinking about making a thread like this for a while, but never really felt like taking the time (in school + work + home + everything most of you guys do, so I dont have all the time I wish I had to hang around in the computer). But now i´m doing it!

I will be updating this thread as much as possible, with images and information, and plans and what I have managed to finish.
But lets start with introducing both me and the car. I am a 32 year old female, car enthusiast working in a auto body shop and finishing a degree in school. I have been in love with Chevrolet most of my life (no joke, and excluding the Cewoo/Daewolet), but was taken by a surprise when I came to own this Yellow handsome fella. I never thought i´d fall this hard for any car.

Here we are, the pair of me and this amazing Skoda Octavia vRS (unfortunately no image of me and the Skoda together). I wasnt that fond of it when I first got it .. Geez a YELLOW car. How unattractive. How unexciting. ****ty color. I hate people staring. I hate yellow cars. Those were my first reactions to it. But then after a few hours driving it over the course of a few days, I was sure I would probably never sell it. I´ve had quite a lot of cars, i´ve driven so many types and brands of cars that I´m sure i´ve driven almost every type (except a skoda!!). It is, by far, the most comfortable daily driver i´ve ever had. Such a nice driver, smooth and more than enough power for a daily, easy to drive, I can not really describe the feeling I get when driving him, and I LOVE IT that he´s yellow. Strange how ones mind can turn on this..

He was in poor shape when I got him. The list of "need to repair" seemed endless, quite frightening to be honest. I had to change nearly everything underneath the car except the actual wheels and tires. Everything in the brakes needed replacement, and all of the rods and things related to steering, as well as the arm bushings and the entire units around that. He was actually in such a bad state, that when I let him roll slowly (within 5km/h) down a small slope and hit the brakes repeatedly but softly the wheels would move back and forth in the wheel housing. It was just in such a mess ... poor baby. I´m just happy (knock on wood) that the engine is in good state, as well as turbine and gearbox and etc. So far.

He has already been painted, but not in the correct color. Unfortunately ... because in the dark he looks more white than yellow. It was not done very well either so in some discreet places (I´m all in the tiny details) it has started to peel. But what hurts the most is when opening the doors, and the color difference of the outside of the car, and inside the doors is AMAZING. In a bad way. Bad bad bad way. The original yellow decorates the entire rim around the opening of the body, which is hidden behind the door but VERY visible when entering the car. And then you have the current yellow coming in towards that area. It is HORRIBLE! It burns my eyes every time I get in. But that is very high on my to do list .. to repaint the car in a better suitable yellow color, and fix that mistake at the same time. (Will post pictures to show soon).

Here he is, my amazing vRS:
1148920_646762222009403_1415094343_n.jpg

Info:

2002 model
Driven 203.000 Km
Cold air intake, some poor work done on the exhaust to open it up.
Lowered with springs.
Lower lip on front bumper. (removed because of snow, will be put back on when snow is all gone)
Has aftermarket xenon system, and some led lights here and there.
Besides that, its pretty much original.

It had PERFECT dealership service history up until 2 or 3 years ago, tons of receipts and trackable history of maintenance and service.
Well .. now there is that gap and i´m working hard to close it up and get it back on track.

List of what needs to be done, and what I want to do:

Another BOV (no clue which one works for this car, seems the HKS SSQV does NOT work?)
Want to rebuild the engine, but that will not happen any time soon.
If anyone can give me any pointers towards a good coilover system for this car, i´d be more than happy to read some :)

Complete paintjob - make it more yellow.
It has the original wheels on it, painted black, 17". I plan on keeping those for a while, dont see a need to replace them until I finish other important things, but I would like to repaint them, since the paint is getting "dull".
Rust removal - rust here and there, minimal thankfully.
Lower it more before next spring/summer.
Paint the brake calipers back to green as they were when I got them. (Green paint removed when calipers were sandblasted and restored)
Re-tint the front windows (the current tint was installed horribly)
Re-film the carbon films (current films were not very carefully applied)

Done since I got the car:
New oil pan installed
New ball joints
New spark plugs (the other ones were ... amazingly finished)
New steering gear (except the actual steering machine)
New arm bushings and the entire units around them
Cooler fixed and fastened
Exhaust fixed (poor work done on it, badly built and welded) no end muffler
Fixed the drivers door, electricity problems
Brakes completely rebuilt
Loads of small plastic things put in the car that were simply missing from the interior

Attention: Both lists are incomplete and I will update them as soon as I remember more things, or actually do any of the things on my list :)

The plan is to photograph the work I do on it, and post it here with information about what I do. This thread is both for you guys to watch (for those interested) and for me in the future to look back :)

First things I did photograph:
I got the car with xenon light system installed. One of the bulbs had gone yellow, and finally blew. So I needed a replacement system. I got rather fond of it. But while I was waiting for the system to arrive to Iceland, I put the original bulbs in it again. I didnt like it. But here is a photo of it taken tonight (18. Dec 2013) with the new xenon system installed.

1521917_10201629757720694_951329086_n.jp

Other photos for fun:
988416_10201629680718769_400717814_n.jpg

He´s doing such a good job in the snow, never been stuck, doesnt slide too much and handles wonderfully. I forgot to take a photo of it before I had to "dig it up" from underneath the snow mountain, but the snow on the top of the car beside the vRS is the amount of snow that came down during the night. This is taken in the morning before going to work, when I parket it, it was completely snow free as well as the next car. (Had quite a bit of snow on the ground already though).

1525000_10201629679918749_1225467399_n.j

Had to remove the lower lip, as I was getting pretty close to ripping it off in the snow and ice. We get such hard snow because of the constant fluctiation between frost and plus degrees, and the snow starts to melt but freezes right up and becomes icecovered snow. Most of you if not everyone knows what I mean :) But I feel like he´s so naked without the lip ... cant wait for summer so I can put it back up. Unfortunately the former owner had gotten the lip, and just put it on the bumper without even fixing the bumper, so all the cracking and missing bits of paint had happened before the lip was installed, looked quite .. odd with a brand new lip and smashed up lower part of the bumper. Will be fixed sooooooon.

1476162_10201629681398786_955671119_n.jp

And this is how deep the snow is, and has been for days .. if not weeks, I dont even remember when it got this deep but its pretty obvious that I couldnt get away with having the front lip on any more.

• Like 2

Hi there. My nickname says quite a bit, but ThreeTone or even FourTone would be appropriate, but TwoTone sounds (reads) even better.

The nickname is because of my Yellow darling, he´s in many tones of Yellow, sadly. But will fix that as soon as possible!

I have been thinking about making a thread like this for a while, but never really felt like taking the time (in school + work + home + everything most of you guys do, so I dont have all the time I wish I had to hang around in the computer). But now i´m doing it!

I will be updating this thread as much as possible, with images and information, and plans and what I have managed to finish.

But lets start with introducing both me and the car. I am a 32 year old female, car enthusiast working in a auto body shop and finishing a degree in school. I have been in love with Chevrolet most of my life (no joke, and excluding the Cewoo/Daewolet), but was taken by a surprise when I came to own this Yellow handsome fella. I never thought i´d fall this hard for any car.

Here we are, the pair of me and this amazing Skoda Octavia vRS (unfortunately no image of me and the Skoda together). I wasnt that fond of it when I first got it .. Geez a YELLOW car. How unattractive. How unexciting. ****ty color. I hate people staring. I hate yellow cars. Those were my first reactions to it. But then after a few hours driving it over the course of a few days, I was sure I would probably never sell it. I´ve had quite a lot of cars, i´ve driven so many types and brands of cars that I´m sure i´ve driven almost every type (except a skoda!!). It is, by far, the most comfortable daily driver i´ve ever had. Such a nice driver, smooth and more than enough power for a daily, easy to drive, I can not really describe the feeling I get when driving him, and I LOVE IT that he´s yellow. Strange how ones mind can turn on this..

He was in poor shape when I got him. The list of "need to repair" seemed endless, quite frightening to be honest. I had to change nearly everything underneath the car except the actual wheels and tires. Everything in the brakes needed replacement, and all of the rods and things related to steering, as well as the arm bushings and the entire units around that. He was actually in such a bad state, that when I let him roll slowly (within 5km/h) down a small slope and hit the brakes repeatedly but softly the wheels would move back and forth in the wheel housing. It was just in such a mess ... poor baby. I´m just happy (knock on wood) that the engine is in good state, as well as turbine and gearbox and etc. So far.

He has already been painted, but not in the correct color. Unfortunately ... because in the dark he looks more white than yellow. It was not done very well either so in some discreet places (I´m all in the tiny details) it has started to peel. But what hurts the most is when opening the doors, and the color difference of the outside of the car, and inside the doors is AMAZING. In a bad way. Bad bad bad way. The original yellow decorates the entire rim around the opening of the body, which is hidden behind the door but VERY visible when entering the car. And then you have the current yellow coming in towards that area. It is HORRIBLE! It burns my eyes every time I get in. But that is very high on my to do list .. to repaint the car in a better suitable yellow color, and fix that mistake at the same time. (Will post pictures to show soon).

Here he is, my amazing vRS:

1148920_646762222009403_1415094343_n.jpg

Info:

2002 model

Driven 203.000 Km

Cold air intake, some poor work done on the exhaust to open it up.

Lowered with springs.

Lower lip on front bumper. (removed because of snow, will be put back on when snow is all gone)

Has aftermarket xenon system, and some led lights here and there.

Besides that, its pretty much original.

It had PERFECT dealership service history up until 2 or 3 years ago, tons of receipts and trackable history of maintenance and service.

Well .. now there is that gap and i´m working hard to close it up and get it back on track.

List of what needs to be done, and what I want to do:

Another BOV (no clue which one works for this car, seems the HKS SSQV does NOT work?)

Want to rebuild the engine, but that will not happen any time soon.

If anyone can give me any pointers towards a good coilover system for this car, i´d be more than happy to read some :)

Complete paintjob - make it more yellow.

It has the original wheels on it, painted black, 17". I plan on keeping those for a while, dont see a need to replace them until I finish other important things, but I would like to repaint them, since the paint is getting "dull".

Rust removal - rust here and there, minimal thankfully.

Lower it more before next spring/summer.

Paint the brake calipers back to green as they were when I got them. (Green paint removed when calipers were sandblasted and restored)

Re-tint the front windows (the current tint was installed horribly)

Re-film the carbon films (current films were not very carefully applied)

Done since I got the car:

New oil pan installed

New ball joints

New spark plugs (the other ones were ... amazingly finished)

New steering gear (except the actual steering machine)

New arm bushings and the entire units around them

Cooler fixed and fastened

Exhaust fixed (poor work done on it, badly built and welded) no end muffler

Fixed the drivers door, electricity problems

Brakes completely rebuilt

Loads of small plastic things put in the car that were simply missing from the interior

Attention: Both lists are incomplete and I will update them as soon as I remember more things, or actually do any of the things on my list :)

The plan is to photograph the work I do on it, and post it here with information about what I do. This thread is both for you guys to watch (for those interested) and for me in the future to look back :)

First things I did photograph:

I got the car with xenon light system installed. One of the bulbs had gone yellow, and finally blew. So I needed a replacement system. I got rather fond of it. But while I was waiting for the system to arrive to Iceland, I put the original bulbs in it again. I didnt like it. But here is a photo of it taken tonight (18. Dec 2013) with the new xenon system installed.

1521917_10201629757720694_951329086_n.jp

Other photos for fun:

988416_10201629680718769_400717814_n.jpg

He´s doing such a good job in the snow, never been stuck, doesnt slide too much and handles wonderfully. I forgot to take a photo of it before I had to "dig it up" from underneath the snow mountain, but the snow on the top of the car beside the vRS is the amount of snow that came down during the night. This is taken in the morning before going to work, when I parket it, it was completely snow free as well as the next car. (Had quite a bit of snow on the ground already though).

1525000_10201629679918749_1225467399_n.j

Had to remove the lower lip, as I was getting pretty close to ripping it off in the snow and ice. We get such hard snow because of the constant fluctiation between frost and plus degrees, and the snow starts to melt but freezes right up and becomes icecovered snow. Most of you if not everyone knows what I mean :) But I feel like he´s so naked without the lip ... cant wait for summer so I can put it back up. Unfortunately the former owner had gotten the lip, and just put it on the bumper without even fixing the bumper, so all the cracking and missing bits of paint had happened before the lip was installed, looked quite .. odd with a brand new lip and smashed up lower part of the bumper. Will be fixed sooooooon.

1476162_10201629681398786_955671119_n.jp

And this is how deep the snow is, and has been for days .. if not weeks, I dont even remember when it got this deep but its pretty obvious that I couldnt get away with having the front lip on any more.

are you sure it's snow and not white volcanic ash

Lovin the yellow vrs I had one that colour a while ago. Making me jealous with the yellow car and loads of snow doesn't feel like Christmas yet as we haven't got any white stuff yet.

Good luck with the paint I remember someone telling me that yellow colour has very little yellow in it and is mainly white. He may have been bulls!?&ing but he did make me a pretty spot on touch up for it.

Any way nice car !

Thanks you guys!  I love this yellow guy, i´ve taken a bunch of pictures of what needs to be done but now I cant get those pictures into the computer, damn technology :)

But yes i´m pretty sure its snow, not white volcanic ash hahaha, or Nigellas stash haha, I laughed out loud when I read those comments! ;D

Has to be one of the best openings to a project thread ever, very informative. Nice car too :)

Thank you, i want to have as much info in here, thats why i took so long putting the thread up haha, but hopefully this thread will continue to interest people while this project goes on :)

I usually enjoy stories where nothing is hidden and all the flaws are put out in the open and fixed, so much fun watching others fix up their beloved cars :D

• Like 2

Very nice spec list you've got going!

That color match is awful! 

Im sure you will get everything sorted as soon as possible, i need to really crack on replacing the entire rubber bush assembly 

Very nice spec list you've got going!

That color match is awful!

Im sure you will get everything sorted as soon as possible, i need to really crack on replacing the entire rubber bush assembly

Thank you! I hopy you have a project thread :) so I can watch what others are doing with the same cars

• 6 months later...

So .. long time since I last posted. But now I better keep this updated since the biggest project so far is about to start in approx 2 weeks - color change, complete paintjob. 
I need to buy a few things but have been working on it, little by little since this thread started but not much time. Summer vacation about to start and i´m prepping for no vacation (paint). 

But, so a small update, the rear lights failed on me, started blinking in a chaotic order, whenever I used the blinker. I guess the VW illness ..  It was really embarrassing but I have that fixed so we´re good to go. 

I also repaired a mess of rust in the door (something something, dont know the english word for it) 
10502100_10202840113618835_6692153532904

Has anyone here had the same problem? This is where the door rests when closed. 

My guess was that there should have been something to protect against this constant rubbing from the rubber trim on the door, I wonder if anyone here knows if there was? This car was poorly painted somewhere a few years back and i´m thinking maybe there was something there. 

Ps. where can I find the best deals on the rubber trim around the windows? (also lacking english for that) 

10414574_10202855846292142_7164418963694

No matter what I do for the interior ... this always makes my poor vRS look like a pile of crap on the inside. Have not found any solution for it, will try a few things when tired of prepping it for paint in a few days. This is the passenger seat, and no matter how much i´ve tried to clean it since I got the car, this only gets worse. 

Edited by TwoTone

Yellow is the best colour on a mk1, why change it?

Have you tried vanish on the interior? Works wonders or maybe even dye the centres like some others have done.

Great little read and keep up the good work.

10505625_10202988779695394_3578477851630

All the rubber lists on the outside of the car have arrived! Super excited!
I will start dismantling the car tomorrow and use my summer vacation to paint the wonderful vehicle :) 

10361504_10202731343339646_3554537829591
Me derping it out with my loved vRS, and always thinking if there is a better looking spoiler for him, or if I will ever find wheels that I fancy.
Here you can clearly see how many shades of yellow he carries. No one knows the color code for him, but clearly this is not his original color.

• Like 1

Original paint code Lemon Yellow 6260. Mine has gone different shades also, door handles, rear spoiler and front bumper full of stone chips, fresh lick of paint once funds allow.

Yeah I found the original color code but I´ve found a color i´m quite fond of, so i´m going to do a full color change :) Will keep the thread updates as I go .. start ripping it all apart tomorrow :) 

Started dismantling the car yesterday, bumpers off, rear lights are off and they came apart so I am forced to buy new ones. I´m thinking about keeping the original lights in the back, because I havent seen any aftermarket ones that I like. 

10518975_10203012553129715_3348990677301
Does anyone sell these black headlights? The plastic is pretty cracked, microcracks or something so they should be replaced some time. (Note the rust bubble on the hood .. cant wait to work that one out!)

1910641_10203012585530525_50996030033537
Sorry for the horribly out of focus picture but this is the very lowest part of the bumper in front, above the lip. The bumper has seriously thick paint on it and the entire bumper is cracked to hell and back. 

10455336_10203012553209717_8647442529162

I just took him to the body repair shop to fix a bad repair on the rear fender some time ago before I got to own him, look at that naked cute little butt