Going from a 2006 2.0 TDI to a 2010 1.6 MPI

My brother bought my Dad a Jaguar XF for Christmas as a retirement present which leaves his Octavia II 1.6 MPI from 2010 with 25k mileage up for grabs. I have a Octavia II 2.0 TDI from 2006 with 95k on the clock and he's essentially going to give me his old car if I want to downgrade to a lower spec but newer car.

While the mileage and the newness is nice and I should bite his hand off, the 36 less HP and the 5 gears over 6 are making me think twice. Any thoughts. I probably have about 4k in value left in the old car and another 8k maybe in the newer one.

Is the difference noticeable between the two models. I've yet to take it out and see. While it's no VRs, I could still get a decent overtake out of it. My wife's 1.6 megane on the other hand can't overtake anything without a following wind and a downhill slope.

Edited by Auberne

As above, sell both and buy an L&K or vRS.

Have you driven the 1.6 MPi?

I haven't and am only going on what has been posted on here but I've heard it's a bit of an unrefined lump?

Drive the 1.6MPI and you will soon realise why they were sold so cheaply.  They were spectacular value new, a lot of new car for the money, but there was a reason for this.  It's an old design engine and the tax on it isn't far off the tax for a petrol vRS.  Try it and see what you think.

Nice retirement present!

The 1.6 MPi sounds like a lot of car but its plain fact it wont drive as well as the 2.0 TDi,the 140 PD is really the pick of the early Mk2 range for me other than the TFSi's.

To be fair though how fast can you drive on UK roads, it'll still sit on the motorway at a decent pace and its likely to give you a good few years trouble free motoring; the FL is also a nicer car all round regardless of engine.

Id say do it and take the hit on performance loss myself.

Edited by pipsyp

You will be a little disappointed I bet.

As above.

Sell them both and buy a much newer 1.6 TDI or 2.0 CR TDI.

Just look at the kind of cars you'd get for your money:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/skoda/octavia/postcode/yo243ej/radius/200/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/quicksearch/true/price-to/12000/price-from/10000

Phil