Hissing noise from the back of Octavia 3 Diesel

Mine is quite noisy and I'm getting about 46mpg average but that is on a tight engine, will follow this thread closely and may go the route jaffacakes has.

• Like 1

New pump on the way - will be changed 30 January 12:00. I realy hope that will kill the hissing noise. Just a question of the topic here : When starting cold the engine stays at arround 7-800 rpm. Now pressing down the clutch pedal and releasing it slowly, 1/2 way up, the engine revs up to round 1000 rpm. Then passing this 1/2 way point, the engine rpm drops down to 800 rpm again. When the engine is hot and after driving, i can press down the clutch pedal and realeas it slowly without any change in the rpm (stays at 800). Is that normal or what ? We have 75 VAG cars in the company fleet. Also the pre. model Octavia aswell as New Golf, Passat and Tiguan. None of these does this.   

New pump on the way - will be changed 30 January 12:00. I realy hope that will kill the hissing noise. Just a question of the topic here : When starting cold the engine stays at arround 7-800 rpm. Now pressing down the clutch pedal and releasing it slowly, 1/2 way up, the engine revs up to round 1000 rpm. Then passing this 1/2 way point, the engine rpm drops down to 800 rpm again. When the engine is hot and after driving, i can press down the clutch pedal and realeas it slowly without any change in the rpm (stays at 800). Is that normal or what ? We have 75 VAG cars in the company fleet. Also the pre. model Octavia aswell as New Golf, Passat and Tiguan. None of these does this.   

Hi NorwayR,

Mine does exactly the same as you described. Better ask the service. I am programmed for check in about 2 weeks from now so my response will come later.

Greets,

B.

Hi NorwayR,

Mine does exactly the same as you described. Better ask the service. I am programmed for check in about 2 weeks from now so my response will come later.

Greets,

B.

Could it be stall prevention?

As a comparison my seat exeo idles at 800, just as I lift of the clutch it increases rpm to 1000 which aids in pulling away in first gear.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again. Went to the Skoda service garage on the 30 January and they changed the fuelpump. THE NOISE IS GONE !! :) Wuhuuu ! They told me, that there was a bad series of fuelpumps on the Tiguans resently (same pump), but that this was the first one they changed on a brand new Skoda Octavia. IF som of you go to the garage for the same repair, Remember to leave the car at the garage almoast empty of fuel, because for some reason they drane the content in the tank. My was 3/4 full when i left it there and the fuel refill is not covered on the waranty. My was left with som 2-3 liters in the tank when i picked it up. ANYWAY, the hissing noise (sounds like compressed air just by the fueltank) IS the faulty fuelpump :)     

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi chaps, just to bring you up to speed with my own experience on this.

I have had a loud hissing / bubbling sound from the region of the right hand rear wheel since about a week after I bought the car new (approx 5 weeks ago).

Last week got the opportunity to pop into my dealership and get one of the guys to have a quick look. He laid under the car and had a fiddle and suggested I booked it in for a proper look over and a fuel pump pressure check.

Just got back from them having a proper look and without any prompting from me whatsoever have agreed to replace the fuel pump and have placed one on order today.

So, noisy pump, talk to the dealer...

• Like 1

I did call another dealer in the area and ask the question a few weeks back and although he wouldn't go into detail, he hinted that the problem existed on a few other models within the VAG empire as well.

• Like 1

Hi Everybody,

Just got back my car from service. They replaced the fuel pump. No more hissing anymore. Hooray, finally i hear the engine if i open the window.

I want to thank everybody for the shared info and i want to thank to all the moderators ,operators and users of this forum for the help and support.

You are great guys, keep up the good work!!!

I will mark this post as solved.

Wishing you all a lovely evening.

With best regards,

B.

Edited by bunsoft

Well guess what, my dealer say they nothing about this being a known issue and 'they are all like that'.

'Errrr, no' I say - 'sort out a new fuel pump'.

Anyone got a case reference number or a TSB ref I can quote to them? PM me if you don't want it publicly known.

• 2 months later...

Can't edit my previous post but I've booked the car in for inspection so hopefully they change the fuel pump.

Had the option of leaving the car with them for a day on Thursday this week and getting a lift to work and back to collect the car OR if I wanted a courtesy car id have to wait until MID JUNE to book it in!

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

My dealer said they need an hour for a pressure check and a once over, problem diagnosed and handed back to me in 50 minutes...

When I took her in for the pump change, they did that in 40 minutes...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to update this -

I took my hissing vRS to the dealer a few months ago only to be told by the "head tech" that there wasn't anything wrong.  Strangley enough the car was in for it's 10k service this morning and the same dealership have diagnosed a faulty fuel pump.

If this explains why I'm only getting 42mpg I'm not going to be happy...  There's going to be some screaming.

Mine hisses a bit but you cant hear it in the car or unless you are stood right at the back rear left corner.

Drives fine so will probably mention it when it goes in for its 10k service. Is a Feb 14 63 registered 2.0TDi Elegance estate by the way.....also have to say fuel economy is Ok but not astounding.

Edited by pipsyp

Just out of curiosity to any of you experience occasional slow starting...i.e car turns over fine but takes a few more turns than seems normal? I have this on mine but never troubles me and is intermittent. Just wondered if this could be fuel pump related?

Just out of curiosity to any of you experience occasional slow starting...i.e car turns over fine but takes a few more turns than seems normal? I have this on mine but never troubles me and is intermittent. Just wondered if this could be fuel pump related?

Yup - I've noticed that as well.

Yup - I've noticed that as well.

Just the once v early in the car tried to start and failed. It automatically turned over again then fired. Has only happened once though

Just the once v early in the car tried to start and failed. It automatically turned over again then fired. Has only happened once though

Never had that but I've noticed the car seems to struggle to start occasionally it the engine is already warm.

If this explains why I'm only getting 42mpg I'm not going to be happy...  There's going to be some screaming.

I'd be surprised if the pump affected economy, as it's going to be the injectors that control what actually makes it to the cylinders, but worth keeping an eye on.

I'm on 54mpg over the first 5500 miles or so, but my driving patterns and style may be quite different to yours.

Yep, mine does it too, I would say every 8-10 starts (from cold)

But I'm one of the guys with a replacement fuel pump.

It's only started happening in about the last month...