Octavia 4x4 Ambulance Purchase

Hi,

We are about to purchase a Skoda Octavia for Ambulance blue light response duties.  Any tips/options we should look at?

Would be great to hear from existing service users as I'm aware most trusts use them.

Ideally we wanted a Scout but we aren't in a position of being able to wait till August, so we are looking at a 4x4 1.6 Diesel.

Thanks.

I've some experience in using the Octy 2 1.6 tdi under response conditions if this is of any help?

Absolutely.  We were looking at the 2.0 but have been talked down to the 1.6 so good to see this has been used elsewhere. Any advice?

Also looking for what worked well and could be improved internally with the conversion.

Thanks

Reliability was fantastic over the two and a half years that we ran it on the fleet, when I left it was still going well with around 106,000 on it.

Although thinking about it, did have a new engine at about 17000 due to being involved in a front end incident! (Not me!)

Always fully loaded with kit and quite heavy, on occasions we found the 1.6tdi a little short of puff in relation to quick overtakes and I personally always found 1st gear quite short if that makes sense, not much seems to happen :-)

Once wound up though it was good, always the first vehicle to be taken at shift change over which says alot.

General opinion was that it was one of the best handling cars on the fleet. Ours wasn't 4x4, that would be a major bonus especially for the bad weather and responding to rural areas, tracks, farms etc.

As I say all in all - I'd recommend one for the work - 2.0 would be better for response conditions but otherwise cracking. Considering thrashed from cold and spent hours at tick over at jobs...not 1 major problem.

Just Brakes, Tyres, Bulbs....

Sorry for punctuation my sons nabbed my ipad so I'm on my phone :-)

In relation to storage ours held everything...it arrived kitted having been fitted out professionally, had a racking system in the back to divide up and hold kit in place which slid out for cleaning or easy access.

Tinted glass, lights, marked up.

It was in SE spec.

Hope this helps, give me a shout if you need anything else.

I have the 2ltr 4x4 on order after being persuaded it was a better option than the 1.6, which had been my initial spec.

Would maybe suggest like myself that you go with the Rough Road Pack; gives a small amount of extra ground clearance and a proper protective plate under the engine, rather than a flimsy noise insulation panel.

Fold forward front passenger seat available as an option on the SE might also be a useful feature, as might the variable boot floor, although that is weight limited to 75kg.

Oh and Goodyear Vector 4season tyres instead of the grip-less factory eco tyres.

Hope of help,

TP

If your budget can stretch to it then go for the 2.0.

The 1.6 is a good engine but geared more towards economy. Even though in the real world the 2.0 achieves similar if not better economy than the 1.6 especially when driven hard.

I have had a 1.6 in an Ibiza for a few weeks and it felt under-powered and wheezy.

I wouldn't like to drive a loaded up Octavia with 4 wheel drive on a fast response with the same engine in.

Phil

I have the Octavia 4x4 estate 2.0 tdi and am really pleased with it. I have seen a few Octavia estates used as ambulances, but in my opinion the 1.6 engine would be struggling with the weight and size of car to be used as a response vehicle. The 2.0 ltr diesel is very responsive accelerates effortlessly and is economical too. A recent motorway journey from London to the north east returned 51mpg and I was most impressed as I am not one to be looking at the economy figures on the motorway, it's foot down and let's get home within the speed limits of course.

Hi,

We are about to purchase a Skoda Octavia for Ambulance blue light response duties.  Any tips/options we should look at?

Would be great to hear from existing service users as I'm aware most trusts use them.

Ideally we wanted a Scout but we aren't in a position of being able to wait till August, so we are looking at a 4x4 1.6 Diesel.

Thanks.

Who is we ?

Go for a 2.0TDI over a 1.6TDI. A fully loaded estate 4x4 would struggle on a 1.6. You'd really have to rev it, but even that's no guarentee, as it delivers all its power in one go, then leaves itself short.

Get stuck behind a slow driver on a single carriageway road, and you will struggle to get past it in a reasonable amount of time. With the 2.0, it'd be effortless.

One of the ambulance services I assume based on their post

You would think wouldn't you ? But their deals are done through central procurement, equally;  West Midlands have a load of scouts already so would know what to kit out.

Im guessing this is a Community First Responder ?

I'm assuming that the author is from one of the private companies that provide Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics. They provide transfers/event cover and cover NHS Ambulance/RRVs in these cutbacks and shortages.

Having been to a number of jobs where these guys have turned up to assist, they are often NHS Paramedics working for the private sector on their days off.

No reason to believe its not legitimate, just offering my advice based on experience of these vehicles under these conditions.

Hi,

It is indeed for a CFR scheme. Not sure why someone "non legit" would ask these questions?

Is the rough road pack called that? I've selected an option which adds some height and underbody protection. The tyre option is also interesting. Thanks

Is the rough road pack called that? I've selected an option which adds some height and underbody protection. The tyre option is also interesting. Thanks

Raised ride height and under body protection is what SUK refer to it as on the Octy III, although Skoda Auto traditional have used RRP, hence my use of this term. So apologies for any confusion.

TP

Are there no MkII Octavia Scout's in stock?

I'd heard the Skoda UK had a load of white standard spec 2.0 TDi CR140 Scout's in stock to meet the needs of the emergency services until the MkIII Scout arrives next year.

The Scout was almost designed to be run as an Paramedic car hence Skoda UK wanting to ensure they could meet all future demand since production ceased earlier this year...

8413778681_18a2f9fdd5.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Are there no MkII Octavia Scout's in stock?

I'd heard the Skoda UK had a load of white standard spec 2.0 TDi CR140 Scout's in stock to meet the needs of the emergency services until the MkIII Scout arrives next year.

This is incorrect, the West Midlands Amb RRV specification for the next few years makes specific mention that Scouts are currently unavailable. Only Honda CRV's are currently being purchased, oh and a batch of X5's are about to go live for support officers.

Edited by WMSkoda

Maybe you should speak to the fleet dept of Skoda/VAG group as they are actively

Pushing several vehicles for Bulance response duties - I believe the service I'm employees by has/is about to order a while new fleet of Octys. I'm assuming they'll be the 4x4 rather than scouts unless they've sourced some old ones (this wouldn't surprise me!)

I know that both Ambulance and Police (dog section) rate the scouts. They are fantastic for the job - Police are slowly introducing the Yeti in 170bhp and these are also highly thought of...would this not be a possibility for you? Seen a couple of Doctors ones marked up around Cambridgeshire.