Suzuki SX4 S Cross - Any good?

My_Yeti

You are correct Dr Zoidberg, just been on Auto Express website, and in their review of the new 2015 version it is a Turbo Diesel. 

Tony

I think I was correct too! :p

Edited by Lady Elanore

I've driven it, definitely a turbo diesel.

Sorry if I have lost the plot a little. are you saying you have driven the Vitara diesel? I can't remember if it was the Cross version you mentioned you had driven or not :D I'm getting old

Sorry if I have lost the plot a little. are you saying you have driven the Vitara diesel? I can't remember if it was the Cross version you mentioned you had driven or not :D I'm getting old

I've driven the S-Cross, with the same turbo diesel Fiat engine that is in the new Vitara. Sorry for any confusion  :o

I've driven the S-Cross, with the same turbo diesel Fiat engine that is in the new Vitara. Sorry for any confusion  :o

No probs. I really want to try it in the Vitara. I suspect being a tad lighter will help at low speed, but being shaped like a Lego brick will probably hurt it's high speed performance a little more than the Cross?

My local dealer - Adamsons of Deal are now Suzuki dealers, so when my Yeti went back to have some warranty work done I had a look at the S cross and  Grand Vitara, and what really struck me was how poor the interior was in the Grand Vitara, while the S cross was OK & lots better interior than the Grand Vitara,

The lack of quality materials & overall build was disappointing, along with every S-cross & grand vitara being white made the whole show area look like an advert for paint colours.;) .

I spoke to the person that works in the office & does all the paperwork, She had a Yeti 170 as a company car when the dealers was Skoda, she has an S- Cross,  when I asked her what she thought as a day to day,  She said what most have already said, space was ok, drives ok fuel economy was excellent all compared to the Yeti, overall she preferred the Yeti despite its little foibles.

My local dealer - Adamsons of Deal are now Suzuki dealers, so when my Yeti went back to have some warranty work done I had a look at the S cross and  Grand Vitara, and what really struck me was how poor the interior was in the Grand Vitara, while the S cross was OK & lots better interior than the Grand Vitara,

The lack of quality materials & overall build was disappointing, along with every S-cross & grand vitara being white made the whole show area look like an advert for paint colours. ;) .

I spoke to the person that works in the office & does all the paperwork, She had a Yeti 170 as a company car when the dealers was Skoda, she has an S- Cross,  when I asked her what she thought as a day to day,  She said what most have already said, space was ok, drives ok fuel economy was excellent all compared to the Yeti, overall she preferred the Yeti despite its little foibles.

They are stopping building the Grand Vitara soon I believe. As I own one, I can happily testify that it is not a competitor for ay modern SUV. It's more of a proper off roader. Think Land Rover Defender-lite. Crazy uneconomical 2.4 petrol engine, tough interior materials (kind way of saying shiny plastic), properly high up driving position and a mechanical locking centre diff with low ratio transfer box. You wouldn't buy one unless you needed toughness and off road ability over quality and sensible compromise.

As Llanigraham said, he manages to go Greenlaning in his Yeti and that is much more than the average person will ever do. I bought the GV to scratch an itch :D and the fact I got a great deal on it. But I would never recommend one to someone. I think anyone who wanted this type of off-roader will already know about the GV and will consider it on merit, but regular sensible people should really test drive one for an afternoon first. It's not as easy to live with as a modern SUV.

I think the Cross isn't quite a premium as the Yeti, but you get more pound for pound with the Suzuki. It's hard to beat on value for money. Fantastic economy, Xenons, Sat nav, Climate, Panoramic roof, selectable 4x4, full leather, keyless entry and start, cruise and limit etc, all for £21k ?(including discount)

It is hard to beat, but like a lot of other Crossover manufactures they do not do a diesel auto with AWD. The auto on the petrol version is CVT, and not a patch on DSG.

Tony

It is hard to beat, but like a lot of other Crossover manufactures they do not do a diesel auto with AWD. The auto on the petrol version is CVT, and not a patch on DSG.

Tony

An auto diesel is coming after the first year.

Funnily enough I though the petrol auto was CVT but several road testers have said is a traditional auto? I'm guessing it is the same as the Cross though, which is CVT

Edited by Lady Elanore

I think the Cross isn't quite a premium as the Yeti, but you get more pound for pound with the Suzuki. It's hard to beat on value for money. Fantastic economy, Xenons, Sat nav, Climate, Panoramic roof, selectable 4x4, full leather, keyless entry and start, cruise and limit etc, all for £21k ?(including discount)

Not bad, but 118 bhp and 11.6 s 0-60 just isn't fun enough next to the 140, 160 and 170 bhp 4x4 Yetis.

If they had a sub 10 sec 0-60 4x4 I'd be interested.

Not bad, but 118 bhp and 11.6 s 0-60 just isn't fun enough next to the 140, 160 and 170 bhp 4x4 Yetis.

Ah, but with the money saved compared to a top spec yeti, you can buy a decent MX5 for fun ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is more to driving fun than peak power figures ;) The Vitara is light and allegedly has the Suzuki DNA driving dynamics.

I suggest having a look at Honest John's review of both the S-Cross & New Vitara. Interestingly he compares the new Vitara in size against the Juke, Captur & Mokka, which I reckon are all one size down from the Yeti.

In the summary article in the Telegraph a few weeks ago, he still recommended the "aging Yeti" against the above.

The car he really likes (as does Auto Express & others) is the Mazda CX-5 which seems to be receiving lots of praise.

I suggest having a look at Honest John's review of both the S-Cross & New Vitara. Interestingly he compares the new Vitara in size against the Juke, Captur & Mokka, which I reckon are all one size down from the Yeti.

In the summary article in the Telegraph a few weeks ago, he still recommended the "aging Yeti" against the above.

The car he really likes (as does Auto Express & others) is the Mazda CX-5 which seems to be receiving lots of praise.

I read Honest Johns reports and enjoy them. I do take them with a bit of salt though, but he does do a decent 'hat' test :D

So far I have rad about a dozen reviews and they go from reasonably good, through best value for money in class to actually a very nice car. The thing about the Vitara is apart from it actually looks pretty good form most angles, it is superb value for money and the recent Celery incident apart, is renown for reliability :)

Edited by Lady Elanore

I must have missed that, where does it say that? As far as I can see it just says 1.6DDIS, no mention that it is a Turbo.

Fred

Is there a non turbo diesel car made anymore? - I can't think of one.

Is there a non turbo diesel car made anymore? - I can't think of one.

The last one I drove was a Sierra (2.4 or something?) It was a dog. In fact it was also a bit mouldy in the window felt area, so one Friday night I planted Cress seeds all along the window borders. On the following Monday, the car had a lovely green edging on all it's windows. The Transport manager wasn't too impressed. I got told off quite a lot :D

The 2015 Vitara is extremely interesting as a potential Yeti competitor and looks like it'll have to be relatively cheap as the Mazda CX3 is <£10K before on-roads for the base model out here.

I don't think it's a direct competitor to the Yeti. It is a shade smaller and obviously they have gone for the 'value for money' tag rather than the 'premiumness' one.

although the front is very roomy indeed. Also the ground clearance is pretty good too :) claimed to be a whole 5mm more than the Yeti. That's at least a postage stamp extra :D

I'd see it's prospective buyers been country folk and with a reputation for being rugged reliability it's hard to see it not being a winner for those who value a good tool as opposed to a fashion statement- which is why I value the Yeti.