How to set up correctly VAG COM - VCDS LITE with Generic OBD Cable

Hey guys,

I have read many times were people get a inexpensive VAG COM cable and does not work with the free version of VCDS LITE

I experience the same thing and found a good info on how to sep up the cable and my VCDS LITE works awesome and I can read the codes.

Here is the info in order to help any one.

I bought an Inexpensive OBDII-USB cable for using it with the free version of VCDS LITE (Ross Tech VCDS software).

For the VAG COM OBD Cables, just make a search on the net for:

VAG-COM USB 409.1 cable OBD2 KKL for AUDI VW SKODA.

Here's the cable I bought:

http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Product/200911/China_VAG_COM_USB_409_1_cable_OBD2_KKL_for_AUDI_VW_skoda_seat200911121425585.jpg

I am using Window 8 so I am not sure if using Window XP or Window 7 the installation can be different.

VCDC LITE program need a COM port to work. Since the VAG COM cable has a USB connector, you need to install FIRST the CD/software drivers so your USB port can emulate a COM port.   This is the CD that comes with the VAG COM Cable.

However, the easier thing is to connect the VAG COM cable to your lap top via the USB connector and Window will detect it and automatically will find and install the required drivers so you will not need to install the CD that comes with the VAG COM Cable.

Just follow this:

1. This requires an internet connection.
  2. Connect the VAG COM cable cable to your USB port.
  3. Windows should alert you about the new hardware and give you an option on where to look for the driver.
  4. Choose the option to look for it via Microsoft.
  5. The search took about 5 minutes and the driver was found and installed.

Here is the part were a lot of people have problems and don’t get the VAG COM cable to work with the VCDS LITE

Check this post and it explain how to set up the COM port.

Beguin to read were it say:  PART 1: SWITCHING COM PORTS

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/444354-B7-A4-VAG-COM-Modification-Walkthrough

Note: In my case, it work selecting Com port 2 and I need to have the cable conected to the OBD port in the car with the ignition on the ON position.

Hope this info help you

Isaac

Edited by Turbo_Boss

But then you are in to the world of fiddling with the connection speed if you have any issues connecting to one or more controllers.

Don't forget that each time you plug the cable into the computer the COM port may change.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

But then you are in to the world of fiddling with the connection speed if you have any issues connecting to one or more controllers.

Hey trundlenut,

I Dont undertand what you mean with the above?

Can you explain me

I used on my 2002 Octavia and I can read the codes and erase them.  I also try it on my daugther 2002 Jetta and works OK

Isaac

With the cheap cables some cars work fine but with some you can have trouble accessing controllers. The engine controller on our mkI Leon is very fussy and requires you to significantly reduce the connection speed before it will communicate properly. From memory it is a magnetti marelli ECU.

The central electrics controller on my old Octavia was also a bit hit and miss too. This is my experience based using two cheap cables with a number of laptops.

You are using a serial connection to communicate with the car so signals are sent and received using the same wires. If the connection isn't perfectly in sync then signals collide and it all get scrambled.

The chip set normally used in the cheap cables is the same as a lot of usb->serial converter cables and I have has similar issue connecting to data logging equipment I used to use at work.

Theres a free version of vcds?

Yes, VCDS Lite. You buy a cheap KKL cable off eBay or from someone like Gendan and download the software. It does not do CAN so isn't much use on newer cars, such as the mkII Octavia etc. Also you can't do an autoscan or a lot of coding's/adaptions without paying $99 to register the software with Ross Tech. But if you just want to check error codes its fine.

There is a comparison table on the Ross Tech website which explains the differences and limitations.

can vcds lite be used to code the windows to go up and down on the remote? or is there anyone in the north of scotland (moray) that could do it for me?

Read: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/444354-B7-A4-VAG-COM-Modification-Walkthrough

Look were it say: REMOTE WINDOWS + 1 CLICK LOCKS  It show you how to do the windows to go up and down on the remote

Isaac

With the cheap cables some cars work fine but with some you can have trouble accessing controllers. The engine controller on our mkI Leon is very fussy and requires you to significantly reduce the connection speed before it will communicate properly. From memory it is a magnetti marelli ECU.

The central electrics controller on my old Octavia was also a bit hit and miss too. This is my experience based using two cheap cables with a number of laptops.

Lets asume I have a trouble accessing controllers. 

How do I know I need to reduce the connection speed?

What exactly I will see on the VCDS LITE Screen?

How do I reduce the Conection Speed?

What exactly mean: Reduce the connection speed? Do this mean the scan will take more time to scan the codes?

THX

Isaac

Read: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/444354-B7-A4-VAG-COM-Modification-Walkthrough

Look were it say: REMOTE WINDOWS + 1 CLICK LOCKS  It show you how to do the windows to go up and down on the remote

Isaac

just tried that but didnt work it says to change code to 11896 yet the skoda code is 00259 for normal locking i changed to 00258 which turned off one click opening though.

Lets asume I have a trouble accessing controllers.

How do I know I need to reduce the connection speed?

What exactly I will see on the VCDS LITE Screen?

How do I reduce the Conection Speed?

What exactly mean: Reduce the connection speed? Do this mean the scan will take more time to scan the codes?

THX

Isaac

You can reduce the baud rate of the connection on the device manager in Windows. There is also a setting in VCDS but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

It is worth trying when you can't connect to controllers which are obviously there, such as the engine or instruments.

You can reduce the baud rate of the connection on the device manager in Windows. There is also a setting in VCDS but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

It is worth trying when you can't connect to controllers which are obviously there, such as the engine or instruments.

Hey Trundlenut,

Regarding reducing the Baud Rate. Here are the screen pics of the device manager. Are you talking about the First or the Second picture.

REDUCE_zps78b66550.jpg

OR THIS ONE

REDUCEBUFER_zpse3ee3c9b.jpg

Just to add to this I have gone through exactly this today. At one point I could not read the octavia engine ecu , then nothing at all on either car. I dropped the baud rate of the com port in device manager to 2400 and also the send receive speed to 128(!) to get a response , together with latency at 2ms( recommended by Ross tech site). Once it started working again I ramped up the send receive speeds again to 2048 and did my Throttle body adaptation

Downloaded vcds lite last night and just tried it now. Connected to my cable straight away and connected to the car. Was able to scan engine, abs and airbags fine. Altho it gets no response from my central locking or my convience module. Which is why i wanted it. Boot doesnt lock.

Also in basic functions, it gives the options for measuring blocks.. Whats that involve? What can i test?

Just noticed this also installed VC-scope?

IIRC it doesn't work on it's own, it needs to run from within VCDS and is used to check the timing on injection pump diesels. You need to register VCDS lite to be able to use it.

• 2 years later...

I've just being reading over this and still have issues myself with the error "no response from controller" anyone any ideas??

Is that on one controller or all of them?

What have you tried so far? Do you definitely have the right com port selected/assigned?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk