Police asking for your dash cam footage!

silver1011

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2534042/Send-dashcam-videos-catch-dangerous-drivers-Police-appeal-public-evidence-motorists-behaving-badly.html

"Police forces are appealing for motorist's dashcam footage in a bid to catch dangerous drivers.

Dashboard-mounted cameras, which cost around £70 to install, are used by thousands of drivers in the UK. Many use them to protect against false claims or insurance premiums.

But now forces are planning to make the most of the cameras - and are appealing for drivers to send in footage of other motorists breaking the law."

If it's really happening, they'll be swamped.

Since the police presence on the roads has reduced loads of people drive like total morons as the chance of getting caught is minimal.

• Like 3

Got to be worth a try and some very useful footage caught. Just seems to be too many a55 hats out there to take them all though.

Mind you fair play to the plod that got his Volvo bounced off him and still gave chase!  :thumbup:

I tried to join that "police witness" thing, but it read a little like a scam.....   I see they feature on the article

"Matt Stockdale of PoliceWitness.com - a site that helps drivers submit footage to police - said: 'PoliceWitness.com is merely a conduit that helps the public assist the police."

Hmmmmmm.  At a price in my experience!!

use your own camera - pay £99 for the privilege!  http://www.policewitness.com/webshop/using-your-own-camera-membership-options/

I will happily supply any footage I capture, but I have a feeling I would need to go direct to my local station with it on a USB stick....  Not found anywhere online you can do it for free.

send us in a photo of exactly where you've been, how fast you've been going and potentially incriminate yourself?

errr no thanks

So you wouldn't have sent in footage of an elderly man being mown down and left for dead? 

steer clear of it, enough sneaky ways of getting caught by the Police for doing very little, all very under handed IMO.  At least 20 years ago you could spot a traffic cop and if he caught you it was fair.

Now you are guilty because of a photograph or an unmarked car or even a plane that catches speeding motorists.

However, if I had footage of an accident or something important I would offer the footage.

• Like 3

So you wouldn't have sent in footage of an elderly man being mown down and left for dead? 

this is the point where the sword becomes double edged, and where fences become sat upon,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

True matey but there's over fifty pages of thread in another forum bemoaning the actions of people on the roads. If the police want to do something about the people we ALL moan about then why not help? From what I gather its not a matter of having them hard-wired into your car for every second of every journey... 

send us in a photo of exactly where you've been, how fast you've been going and potentially incriminate yourself?

errr no thanks

You don't have to send them the whole journey, just the section pertinent to the incident

Besides, if you're planning a little pootle beyond the speed limit, then its' probably a good idea to turn the camera off before setting out ;)

You don't have to send them the whole journey, just the section pertinent to the incident

That'd be fine with me. I'd happily send that in, of course.

As JamesI alluded to, more cops (with brains) in cars please.

• Like 1

@ James I. Now you wouldnt be one of those that has an urge to go fast, so thinks its only fair cars are fully marked up so he knows when to slow down would you? Its not going to be easy to catch speeders if they slow down as soon as they see a marked car. Speeders arent forced to break the law, so whats the harm in being caught without you actually realising it? Sorry, but its perfectly fair no matter how you are caught. What next? These undercover agencies not allowed because criminals dont realise when they are being set up? Perhaps when police go to spy on a drugs deal or whatever, they should first of all announce to the whole country what they are up to, just so the dealers know they are being watched? Sorry, but in all walks of life, secret surveilance is necessary. Thats also the case out on the roads now.

• Like 3

Prevention is better than prosecution

The unmarked police car is the embodiment of what's so drastically wrong about the police's & co's approach to road safety

So you approved of painting all speed cameras bright yellow so you knew when to brake? The real problem is that folk have learned to be huffy, puffy and better than yow even if they've been caught out doing wrong. 

Your assertion that car design alone is responsible for reduction in road fatality is also wrong. Skoda cannot account for drunk driving, speeding, lack of attention or simple mistake. 

Edited by sparks03

So you approved of painting all speed cameras bright yellow so you knew when to brake?

It's been demonstrated that those speed detector signs that flash your speed at you as you approach, have a greater calming effect on traffic than camera's

Surely the idea is to make folks think about approaching danger and get them to drive more safely

The real problem is that folk have learned to be huffy, puffy and better than yow even if they've been caught out doing wrong.

I totally agree with that, but imho that can equally apply to drivers above, at, below, or very below the speed limit

What makes for safe driving is being considerate and attentive, irrespective of what speed you're travelling at - fastest vehicle on the road or slowest

Prevention is better than prosecution

The unmarked police car is the embodiment of what's so drastically wrong about the police's & co's approach to road safety

A marked car, whether patrolling or stationary but visible has a calming effect across a whole body of traffic, slow unattentive drivers tend to situp and take note, faster drivers slow down, those on mobiles stop making calls, etc etc, if only for distance - but folks have been reminded - they'll be wondering where the next car will be.

The unmarked car pulls over one driver for one single type of offense, whether causing danger to others or not

Its a revenue generating & statistical fudging exercise

Most other road users probably sailed by without even noticing the driver being pulled

Road safety should be measured in A&E/morgue admission rates from RTE (eg reduction of), not conviction rates and $ raised

The single theme message of speed is wrong - eg slow driving is safe - is one of the major factors in how our roads have become more dangerous, not less

Its the advances in car design which are responble for few road deaths, not police/government policy

You are so so wrong, on so many levels

People have fought and died for this country, against notations like that

I'm with Snow_muncher.

It's funny how stuff like this is quietly sneaked into our lives and slowly nurchered until one day you turn around and see all the sheep believing the latest intrusion as 'normal', bleat on and dont even realise whats happening.

Sounds like a do-gooders paradise to me

• Like 2

If it's really happening, they'll be swamped.

Since the police presence on the roads has reduced loads of people drive like total morons as the chance of getting caught is minimal.

Perhaps the government will be installing these in all new cars in future legislation.

1984(2014) HERE WE COME.

Sounds like another G.Osborne revenue raiser!

Police are employed too Police.

@ James I. Now you wouldnt be one of those that has an urge to go fast, so thinks its only fair cars are fully marked up so he knows when to slow down would you? Its not going to be easy to catch speeders if they slow down as soon as they see a marked car. Speeders arent forced to break the law, so whats the harm in being caught without you actually realising it? Sorry, but its perfectly fair no matter how you are caught. What next? These undercover agencies not allowed because criminals dont realise when they are being set up? Perhaps when police go to spy on a drugs deal or whatever, they should first of all announce to the whole country what they are up to, just so the dealers know they are being watched? Sorry, but in all walks of life, secret surveilance is necessary. Thats also the case out on the roads now.

Actually I do travel a lot of miles every year and it is quite easy to spot an unmarked police car if yo know what to look for.

When travelling around the country I regularly come across those highways agency mobile traffic jams, they drive around in large 4x4's at a fixed 50 mph, this causes everybody to slow right down as they think it is a police vehicle, not only do people slow down but trucks that go everywhere at 56mph are forced to pass the highways agency vehicle often reducing the motorway to one lane for passing a truck passing a 4x4 doing 50mph. This causes mies of congestion!

With regard to the police being sneaky, you can not deny it, they are devious and operate very underhandedly. I also believe that any undercover agency is also a devious sneaky way of entrapment and probably against our rights.

• Like 4

This thread is brilliant. How many disgruntled three pointers on here? If you don't speed or drive like a loon you won't get prosecuted. If you can't live with your mistakes then don't make them it really is sooooooooo simple. 

An open request for assistance in making the roads safer is met by those who would rather moan about Orwellian society. Then refuse to hand over the footage from their very own spy cameras. Ultimately you're not helping therozzers (useless Nazis the lot of em) you're helping the poor unfortunate who requires their assistance.

Edited by sparks03