New Superb, just it's a shame it's not mine!

vc-10

I drove my parents up to Bath today to pick up their shiny new Superb. It's the first time mum's had a brand-new car since just after I was born (I'm 23 in April!) so she's very excited. They've gone for a basic 'S' spec car with the 1.4 TSI, in Pacific Blue (the 'free' blue) with just parking sensors added. Platinum Skoda (no connection!) were excellent- took mum through everything and even had an 'unveiling' of the car! Mum was worried about the colour, as she thought it might be a bit horrid to try and encourage people to buy the metallic paint, but actually it's great. Looked great in the sun! The cabin is really rather nice- I especially like the illuminated vent controls, a really classy touch. It just doesn't feel like the most basic spec version of a car from a 'value' company- it's made my dad wonder about his next company car. 

The 1.4 TSI has plenty of poke all things considered, and got 35mpg driving home which really isn't bad for a petrol car that size, especially one that's not run in (and I told them to ignore the little gearchange recommendation on the MaxiDot while running in). I've shown mum where the oil temperature is on the MaxiDot, and told her not to rev it too much until the temperature has stabilised, as well as restricting it to local running for a bit rather than setting off on the motorway and cruising at a constant speed.

I am seriously impressed, both with the car (as refined as dad's current shape 320d at speed), the spec (I hadn't realised that it even has auto lights and a rain sensor), and Platinum Skoda. I can completely see why Skoda's sales are up so much recently! 

Get the car to a local VCDS coder, plenty of options to enable propably :-) and make sure to post some pictures, would love to see some of this quite unusual colour! Congrats (to your parents) ;-)

Nice post. However, to think about Skoda as being a "value" company is somewhat dated. The cars they have on offer are VW parts and technology. The Skoda badge is still regarded by some as being down market.  A fiend of mine who drives a 5 series M sport BMW is away waxing lyrical about my Superb but cannot gat his head around buying one!

For me it is the thinking mans ( or woman's ) car. I have just ordered a Superb L&K a little short of £30.000 hardily a budget purchase. 

I am sure your parents will enjoy the car and can smile when looking at similar other branded cars smug in the knowledge that have paid a lot less for a lot more car  :sun:

Happy driving

The fact the OP put his 'value' comment in '' would suggest it is not his opinion, rather it is still a perception of such things from silly people who know little about cars.

Given you then comment about "paid a lot less for a lot more car" it would appear you have given the very definition of value with regard to Skoda. :)

Thanks for the post VC-10.  I also have the 1.4 in s-spec and have been equally impressed with the performance and the equipment/interior quality.  I would expect the fuel economy to improve on your numbers.  I am getting 40-45 typically on my 10 plate.  The only time I had poor economy was on a fully loaded run with four bikes on the roof when the economy dropped by 10mpg.

To other members - I would be interested to learn about what can be done on my s-spec through VCDS.  I would be keen to get auto wipers - is that simply a coding change?

Many thanks again and all the best with the Superb. 

The fact the OP put his 'value' comment in '' would suggest it is not his opinion, rather it is still a perception of such things from silly people who know little about cars.

Given you then comment about "paid a lot less for a lot more car" it would appear you have given the very definition of value with regard to Skoda. :)

Yup- I don't think Skoda are a value brand- they're lot more than that. They do however represent excellent value for money. For £20k you'll get a huge, extremely comfortable car with enough power for most day-to-day driving, that's built and designed properly so it'll last. It's little wonder why Skoda do so well in the customer satisfaction surveys! A Passat or A6 might be a 'better' car- but they cost a lot more than the Superb, and by choosing the Skoda you're not giving up much at all, but saving lot!

Thanks for the post VC-10.  I also have the 1.4 in s-spec and have been equally impressed with the performance and the equipment/interior quality.  I would expect the fuel economy to improve on your numbers.  I am getting 40-45 typically on my 10 plate.  The only time I had poor economy was on a fully loaded run with four bikes on the roof when the economy dropped by 10mpg.

To other members - I would be interested to learn about what can be done on my s-spec through VCDS.  I would be keen to get auto wipers - is that simply a coding change?

Many thanks again and all the best with the Superb. 

The new cars have stop/start and regenerative braking too! I'm sure the economy will improve- it's not run in yet.

Here's a pic, in the dew this morning. It doesn't look this light normally though, but I was rushing for the train back up to uni so couldn't get a better one.

o0Mj2Dr.jpg

Hi Guy I take your point. However, the current thinking regarding the use of the term value in relation to goods has a tendency to imply of poor or less than the best range products on offer. For example the value range of products sold by the supermarkets are at the opposite end to their 'Finest' range. I made the assumption this was the case being made. Importantly, we all do seem to agree that Skoda for very good value for money.

I would be keen to get auto wipers - is that simply a coding change?

See here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/279237-auto-lights-but-no-auto-wipers/?hl=%2Bauto+%2Bwipers#entry3344334

Once you have found someone with VCDS it takes seconds!