replacement windscreen

I need a new windscreen for my 3 month old Octy III . As the car is so new, does this need to be done by the Skoda main dealer network in order to not have any warranty issues with the car at a later date, or would the likes of Autoglass be acceptable ?

Edited by essexguy

It shouldnt need to as the law states as long as u follow the manaufacturers service schedule the its fine.

Having said that, in practice, yes less hassle if get dealer to do it (if problems arises later and u need to claim on warranty).

Personally, i would claim on insurance (windscreen excess about £50-£100)

and then negotiate with insurer to make sure they let u take it to dealer to fix.

Even better, is to get Skoda to negotiate with insurer direct.

It worked when i got BMW to talk to my insurer ...

Get a dealer to do it, at least you'll get Skoda glass. If you get Autoglass etc. to do it, then you'll most likely end up with their own manufactured screen. OK for an older car, but a new one I'd want OEM glass.

Get a dealer to do it, at least you'll get Skoda glass. If you get Autoglass etc. to do it, then you'll most likely end up with their own manufactured screen. OK for an older car, but a new one I'd want OEM glass.

Is that true?

OEM glass differ to mass produce?

Last time i spoke to autoglass they say same glass from the same source,

just that BMW stamp their logo on theirs?

Though, THIS is autoglass talking!

Is that true?

OEM glass differ to mass produce?

Last time i spoke to autoglass they say same glass from the same source,

just that BMW stamp their logo on theirs?

Though, THIS is autoglass talking!

It most likely will be from the same source, but its' nice to have the little badge on the bottom corner and sometime the black 'shading' round the edges can be different...

It most likely will be from the same source, but its' nice to have the little badge on the bottom corner and sometime the black 'shading' round the edges can be different...

Wow!

So pay £100s more for the sticker and black border?!!!!

I would pay more if glass is different - but not for just sticker etc.

When my summer car windscreen cracked - i paid a 3rd party (highly recommended) £165

- got him to add a nice blue tint sunband and he literally manually drew a kind of black think sealant border around the screen too - lol.

He was so good, i even got him to replace my Scooby screen for £185!

Mannyo: How much is your excess for the Audi Double-glazing?

We had a windscreen claim on our other car. I declare it at renewal time and it makes no difference.

Declared over the phone, that is, not through a comparison site. If, one day, I find an insurer says it will increase the premium, I will just hang up and call the next one down the list.

• Like 1

I had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass just before Christmas. My dealer confirmed that as long as they used the proper OEM part (which they did), the warranty would be unaffected. 

That'll teach me for not getting that innocuous little chip seen to :wall:

You will probably find that they will source the screen from skoda anyway,especially on a newish model,thats what happened to me when my screen on my yeti, which had only been launched a matter of weeks, cracked and had to be replaced,just make sure of their attention to detail,as my yeti had to go to the dealers after to have the trim properly replaced

I had mine done under insurance on the old car, have to declare. Still doesn't put my premium up, even if it did end up costing the insurance company something like 5-6k!

For a windscreen?!

• Like 1

Had autoglass replace a screen on my previous Yeti back in 2010 and noticed after they fitted it, that at one time it had been a Skoda part but somewhere in it's life the winged arrow logo had been etched off above the manufacturers data panel in the corner of the screen; could still just make out the outline.

Lad's Fabia II on the other hand has just had a windscreen change, I think by auto windscreens and that's defiantly not a known brand as used by Skoda.

TP