MPG drop in colder weather

DavidIF

We have a Citigo Sport due in March,this is to supplement the Fabia MonteCarlo Tec 1.6TDI rather than to replace it.

I have noticed quite a drop off in fuel economy as the temperatures have dropped and I am aware of the reasons not least the lower calorific value of 'winter'diesel over the regular stuff.

My question,if you were wondering as to whether I was ever going to get to the point,is do petrols suffer similarly ? In particular have people noticed a drop and if so to what extent?

Obviously as we will not get our until March I would hope that the temps will have improved by then.

I have noticed a slight drop in MPG, but that is expexted when the thermometer starts to drop.

I would say, that of all the Skoda range, the Citigo would probably be the best at keeping the difference down to a minimum though, thanks to the little engine and its clever design to get it up to temperature quickly.

In my short commute to work, I have gone from early 60's MPG to mid 50's, but how much of that is due to engine running whilst scraping the ice off the windscreen, and using the aircon more is hard to say...

You will be ok, after a few weeks we should be into spring by then, so it will be just persistent rain you'll have to endure!

Enjoy the new car when it comes.

Winter spec petrol goes out from the Depots to Scotland from the 15th of October till the 31st March in Scotland and the North of England.

Maybe a bit later in the South.

Can be nicer stuff.

The only reason for consumption to increase in Winter with Petrol is your engine takes longer to get to normal operating temp,

or your engine might sit running while you defrost, and the miles are not running up, but the fuel is still running the engine.

Lights, heated screen, mirrors, etc might mean a little more load on the alternator. More juice used,

Cool fresh air feeding the engine and less friction on the road surface might mean less juice used.

So location, location location, and driving conditions.

If driving a bit slower in winter saves fuel, things might all be equal in the end Summer & Winter.

george

• Like 1

Why do people use de-icer? or scrap the ice of the windows? I always pour warm water on the windscreen, then use windscreen wipers to clear the water. I have never had a cracked windscreen yet.

Happy motoring!

Why do people use de-icer? or scrap the ice of the windows? I always pour warm water on the windscreen, then use windscreen wipers to clear the water. I have never had a cracked windscreen yet.

Happy motoring!

Same with me as well. I use the normal tap water which is still cold but warm enough to melt the screen ice. No de icer or any chemicals of any sort...

• Like 1