New company car advice

Hi All it's been a long time since I posted last. I'm changing my company car and looking at the VRS (diesel) but not sure whether to go for estate or hatch and manual or DSG. Mpg needs to be taken into account and I'm wondering what I'd expect. I do 180 miles each day and 150 of it is 70-80mph on motorway. I currently have an auto Toyota and my current preference is to lean towards the DSG estate but if my mpg is less than 50 then it becomes a concern

Thoughts appreciated

Cheers guys. I like the idea of paddles but I'm sure it'll wear off after a few days

I've had a VRS with 'paddles' for 6 months and I still think I won't have a DSG-equipped car without them.

Either transmission will do the job, the estate is a great load lugger if you really need that extra space.

Personally I love the DSG but there is a small penalty to pay fuel economy wise.

The paddles are a waste of time... They do not respond as fast in a diesel as they do in a petrol.

The DSG alone easily loses 10mpg over the manual version.

The hatch is huge, the estate is cavernous... unless you transport tall objects the hatch will swallow almost anything.

I'm never having a DSG diesel again until they significantly improve them.... Had a 2.0 TFSI DSG before and it was fantastic which is why I chose the DSG diesel.... what a mistake.... never mind, in 2.5 years time I'll be looking at petrol VRS, Golf GTI or Leon Cupra to really put my current woes behind me (Nothing wrong with car at all,  many manual gearbox 2.0 TDI's are hitting over 50mpg with ease, I get 42 round town and 47 on the motorway - as do other DSG dieselers).

Go for the manual hatch, the sport mode is far more controllable with the manual gearbox... utter waste of time (and fuel) with the DSG.

But having said that go try them both, just go into it with your eyes open that you will get NOWHERE near the reported fuel economy and the BIK rate is higher thanks to the emissions and price of the gearbox.

I've had my TDI vRS manual Estate since november and have done just over 3000 miles in it, a couple of things I've noticed (my optinion on some).

Even on long motorway runs (400miles) I've never got 50mpg, granted I don't do 56mph but the most I've ever managed it about 48mpg.  On the other hand the worst I've ever got even totally spanking the car is 42mpg.

Unless you're in stop start traffic in town a lot I'd say the extra cost of the DSG isn't worth it - I wanted it but didn't want to pay the extra money per month and extra £100 a year in tax, the clutch is so nice to use and although I do drive round town a bit it doesn't bother me.  On motorways you hardly ever change gear anyway as it's more than powerful enough to accelerate in 6th.

As people have said the hatch is massive but the estate is getting into silly terms space wise.  I went for the estate because I could get it quicker, there are already rails on the roof and tbh I prefer the look.  The cost if I recall correctly in monthly pcp is mimimal as the estate is worth more at the end of the finance.

I do a fair amount of motorway miles for work, about 2 days per month at 400 miles per day, and although the Octavia Estate is good on the motorway it's not the best car out there for it.  Personally in a driving sense I think the Insignia estate is better, it's heavier and less twitchy at high speed.  I'm not sure what you think about the Toyota, or which Toyota you have, but I recently had a Toyota Avensis Diesel and found it very numb which made it difficult to tell what the car was actually doing - ok for the motorway, hopeless for tight A/B roads.

I love my vRS but I'll happily admit it's not the best car for any specific task, it's too light for a proper motorway cruiser and the tyres are too low profile and the fuel tank is far too small, the suspension is too hard for badly potholed roads round town, it's too big and down on power for a "sports car", it's too thirsty for an "eco box" etc etc.  But as a jack of all trades, a car I can stick 4 people and a huge amount of luggage and still get a move on down twisting a/b roads, overtake effortlessly and drive large miles on the motorway all without spending BMW money or getting 30mpg it really does take some beating.

Just remember - the vRS doesn't come with cruise control as standard.

Edited by gullyg

Unless you absolutely must have a car with some sporting pretense I think the 2.0 TDi 150 SE or Elegance would make a better motorway mile muncher and thus heavy use company car.

Performance wise theres little in it as the vRS TDi is 140-150kgs heavier, you are still looking at a low 8's 0-60 car with a 135mph top speed (the latter technically you ought never use in the UK anyway).

The softer suspension and bigger profile tyres make it a bit more comfortable.

Im going from a MK2 vRS to an Elegance for these reasons, i like the sporting pretense of the vRS trim but I feel its a bit lost on the TDi version as it doesnt have the outright go IMHO to really stand tall as a proper vRS, it'd have to be the TSi and whilst I could afford to buy one I wouldnt want to have to pay to run it at late 20's/low 30's mpg that many are quoting as real world averages. Also the ride quality on my MK2 isnt the best and suspect the MK3 whilst an improvement wont be a great deal more compliant, scarificing alot of rise quality to make it a slightly better steer than the regular car.

You then have the fact that the 150 TDi is a cheaper car and puts out less CO2 so would make for a cheaper car; id want as little money going into HMRCs pockets as possible as they take enough as it is!

Just food for thought.

• Like 2

I want the VRS for the looks and did think about a Superb for the comfort side. I have a Range Rover for a personal car and my thought was to get the estate and then no need for the range rover. I need it to take my baby's pram and that'll be a big decider if I go for estate or hatch. I'm allowed a 3 day test drive so I think I'll go for the manual and see what happens

Thanks for all the feedback

• Like 1

It also depends on how you drive!

I drive a 1.6 DSG SE and I can get anywhere from mid 40's to late 50's.

just changed jobs and now I get a fuel card so unfortuantley for now, I am not actually too bothered about mpg.

Unless you absolutely must have a car with some sporting pretense I think the 2.0 TDi 150 SE or Elegance would make a better motorway mile muncher and thus heavy use company car.

Performance wise theres little in it as the vRS TDi is 140-150kgs heavier, you are still looking at a low 8's 0-60 car with a 135mph top speed (the latter technically you ought never use in the UK anyway).

The softer suspension and bigger profile tyres make it a bit more comfortable.

Im going from a MK2 vRS to an Elegance for these reasons, i like the sporting pretense of the vRS trim but I feel its a bit lost on the TDi version as it doesnt have the outright go IMHO to really stand tall as a proper vRS, it'd have to be the TSi and whilst I could afford to buy one I wouldnt want to have to pay to run it at late 20's/low 30's mpg that many are quoting as real world averages. Also the ride quality on my MK2 isnt the best and suspect the MK3 whilst an improvement wont be a great deal more compliant, scarificing alot of rise quality to make it a slightly better steer than the regular car.

You then have the fact that the 150 TDi is a cheaper car and puts out less CO2 so would make for a cheaper car; id want as little money going into HMRCs pockets as possible as they take enough as it is!

Just food for thought.

As a Mk2 vRS estate driver, I'm thinking the same (with one eye on a £23.5k company car budget). Valid points well made. Heart says hatch vRS, head says Elegance estate + a few extras.

I definitely want the VRS but the elegance does look better on paper with the sat nav as standard. I'm allowed 3 test drives and at the moment I'm looking at

1) octavia VRS (not sure yet on manual or dsg)

2) Superb L&K 140ps

3) BMW 520d SE

2.0 Elegance Hatch all the way. Fantastic economy, comfortable and fast, loads of space. Bit dull on image, but is that really so bad?

In Race Blue, with optional black 18" Turini's and sports suspension? Perhaps not so dull...defeats the object? Probably ;)

As a Mk2 vRS estate driver, I'm thinking the same (with one eye on a £23.5k company car budget). Valid points well made. Heart says hatch vRS, head says Elegance estate + a few extras.

Absolutely. I was intent on getting another vRS, played with the TSi but knew the fuel economy and poorer residuals made it a heart over head matter....the head won. I get a fuel card but figure the mote i spend on fuel the more tax i owe HMRC too....rather keep it in my own pocket where possible rather than for the sake of running a quicker car.

The MK3 vRS TDi is still a lovely car but I just think its a bit sheep in wolves clothing, hot hatch looks with just about warm hatch go.....same goes for my Blackline Mk2, looks lovely and a nice place to sit but most repmobiles will give it a damn good run for its money....am forever getting tailgated and people trying to race me in it too which is getting a bit old.

The Elegance trim is a bit dull but its a v well equipped car, the lack of xenons made bearable by the inclusion of high beam assist and standard cruise, nav and folding mirrors all being v useful. Also its sort of the polar opposite of the vRS TDi, a mild wolf in sheeps clothing. Nothing much to look at but nearly the same go as a Mk3 vRS TDi, easily the match of the Mk2 version.

I didnt get it when people started changing their MK2 vRS TDi's for 1.4 TSi/2.0 TDi regular MK3's, may have moked their decisions a little at the time too but following a test drive in an even more mundane SE spec car totally get why now.

If it's going to be my only car then I do what it to put a grin on my face on a Friday night drive home. Thought about ralle green but the wife would disown me!!

Funny that, my wife said the opposite: "if we have to have another Skoda then it better be green!"

"The Elegance trim is a bit dull but its a v well equipped car, the lack of xenons made bearable by the inclusion of high beam assist and standard cruise, nav and folding mirrors all being v useful. Also its sort of the polar opposite of the vRS TDi, a mild wolf in sheeps clothing. Nothing much to look at but nearly the same go as a Mk3 vRS TDi, easily the match of the Mk2 version"

Nice try Pips with the convincing arguement....perhaps it's just your age and a more sensible outlook! :)

Edited by Falkster

The paddles are a waste of time... They do not respond as fast in a diesel as they do in a petrol.

The DSG alone easily loses 10mpg over the manual version.

The hatch is huge, the estate is cavernous... unless you transport tall objects the hatch will swallow almost anything.

I'm never having a DSG diesel again until they significantly improve them.... Had a 2.0 TFSI DSG before and it was fantastic which is why I chose the DSG diesel.... what a mistake.... never mind, in 2.5 years time I'll be looking at petrol VRS, Golf GTI or Leon Cupra to really put my current woes behind me (Nothing wrong with car at all,  many manual gearbox 2.0 TDI's are hitting over 50mpg with ease, I get 42 round town and 47 on the motorway - as do other DSG dieselers).

Go for the manual hatch, the sport mode is far more controllable with the manual gearbox... utter waste of time (and fuel) with the DSG.

But having said that go try them both, just go into it with your eyes open that you will get NOWHERE near the reported fuel economy and the BIK rate is higher thanks to the emissions and price of the gearbox.

Sounds as if there is something wrong with your car!  The response of mine when using the paddles is fine.  I agree that the Sports mode is no use on the diesel as it holds the gears to far too high revs; which is why I use the paddles for overtaking, etc.  I have driven a petrol vRS DSG and even in that would still would rather use the paddles than Sports mode - keep both hands on the wheel and change gear when I want to.  Most of the time I find 'D' is fine, just occasionally use the paddles to over-ride the 'brains' choice of gear.

the level of fuel you spend on your fuel card has no correlation to the tax you will pay to HMRC...

Ermmmm.....yes it does. I have the choice of company car or car allowance. With a CC the taxation depends on the CO2 output of the car based upon a standard calc but you pay the same amount per month regardless of what you spend. That I agree with.

I actually take a car allowance and still get a fully funded fuel card. In that respect the fuel card spend is considered as additional salary on my P11D so in essence pay tax at source on the total value the following tax year.

An example...I spend 4k on a fuel card, it gets put down as 4k salary on my P11D, i'd then owe either £800/£1600 in tax across the next tax year depending in whether im a 20 or 40% tax payer...so about £70/140 per month. On the basis at that kind of spend you're looking at approx £333/month spend on fuel its therefore cut price fuel particularly if youre doing alot of personal miles.

I also get tax relief on any business mileage i do (so technically only pay tax on the personal spend), I put a claim in every month and the total value of that claim (at 45p/mile for first 10k) I get part of my salary to that value sans taxation. I dont get paid the mileage just get tax relief on that value.

HMRC are useless though as theyve been sent my 12/13 P11D but as yet have not confirmed my coding and so my tax code has not been amended....always the same case of having to chase them...and usually sens then the P11D again!

Nice try Pips with the convincing arguement....perhaps it's just your age and a more sensible outlook! :)

Perhaps....am only in my early 30's though haha

I bought my Mk2 vRS Blackline estate not so long ago (almost a year to the day) and whilst I think its a fantastic car in many ways its just never really won me over as the warm hatch its pretending to be.....sure its not slow by any stretch but I dont think it goes like other 170hp cars ive been in and its just a bit dull to punt along....the DSG gearbox doesnt really help IMO and might feel a bit differently about it had I got a manual. Given the new TDi has a bit more power but is heavier still (approx 6kg.....nothing really but not when you consider the 140-150kg weight loss and 10hp increase on the 150 TDi) felt the new Mk3 was likely to be more of the same. Sure the 150 wont be quite as fast as the 184 as theres approx 12 hp/tonne difference but the difference between the two wont be particularly great.

By comparison the normal 2.0 TDi 150 even on normal suspension and 16" wheels drove as well as my MK2, perhaps a little more roll and less grip when pushed but really not a great deal in it and was loads quieter with a more compliant ride....have found the vRS just wants to understeer when pushed anyway being so nose heavy....not even sure the XDS does all that much to help really. In terms of go was easily the match of it too, one of those strange occasions where I expected to go back to the dealers and say "nice but ill keep the vRS".....impression was the polar opposite, a better car and i'll sign up now.

The Elegance was usefully cheaper to PCP per month than a base spec vRS TDi estate, and even cheaper still once about 1k of what I felt essential spec was added to the vRS to match the Elegance and also make it look the part (talking black pack, sunset, cruise, amundsen, variable floor and spare wheel).

Cant say in 6 months i'll not be bored shedless with it as over the past 2.5 years longest ive kept a motor is 18 months but we'll soon see!

Edited by pipsyp