Replacement Tyres for VRS?

RS939

The time has come for the car to have a new set of boots, However while looking on line I have noticed that the distinct lack of options due to the cars tyre size.

I bought the car used (used), the dealer replaced the fronts for me due to the wear on them with Conti 5's it also had Conti 3's on the rear, Now looking at all the know good online places (mytyres,Camskill etc) the choice of brands appears very limited. 

As anyone else found this, either that or I have the wrong size (205/17/40)?

I know a lot have gone to 215/40/17s and that's what i'm buying next for mine, seems to be a more popular size and I know the other 1.4 twincharged variations come standard with 215 tyres.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3 £100 a corner

• Like 1

'205/40 R 17',  no lack of choice really. Tyres available in the size from most manufacturers.

(get the right Speed/Load Rating for the car, ZR, V, W, for Summer or All Weather Tyres probably.)

and you can find All Season, Summer, Cold Weather tyres in that size.)

215/40 R 17 another option, as said, the size fitted as standard to the other 3 Twinchargers.

Just check the Actual size physically because some 205/40 R 17 can be almost as big side by side as some 215/40 R 17

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

http://mytyres.co.uk

3 pages in the correct size & Speed/load rating.

http://camskill.co.uk

http://blackcircles.com

Thanks for the updates on the optional size 215/40/17's I will have to check the rears to see if its worth the layout for the rears.

LGM, Thanks will check that out :)

I have 215/40 R17 on the front for better traction,

but also for the better Pothole protection, and these are XL Tyres for Strength.

that is with 205/40 R17;s  on the rear.  

These Tyres are almost identical in Total Radius. Front & Back.

Be aware of the warning in the Owners Manual of the possible effect of different size tyres mixed front and rear on ESP or XDS.

If the size is much the same as the difference as a New pair fitted at one end or the other it has no effect IME.

(So its up to you to think will the Insurance matter or not.

For me i know it does not matter, they are correct tyres fitted correctly.)

But some tyres with the same numbers can be quite a bit different in size.

ie if you put new Pirelli Zero Nero 205/40 R17 on the front, they might be larger than the 205/40 R17 tyres left on the rear.

My Pirelli 205/40 are bigger than my 215/40 's when measured side by side.

george

Looking on like it would appear a lot of my first choice premium brands are not available - I don't do ditch finders. ;)

The rainsports have had excellent reviews from a friend that has used them in the past and they aren't too expensive.

I am used to buying 225/40/18 as per the Octy, which does seem a very popular size for most car makers.

I think its the profile of the tyre that messes up the cars sensors. Although isnt the '40' a ratio of the '215' or somethin?

A tyre place fitted wrong profile tyres on a golf dad has once. Was a nightmare, traction control kept cutting in, lights were on all over the dash. It didnt know what to think, poor thing. Haha

The Ratio is the percentage of the tyres width. Thats the height of the sidewall.

40% of 205 mm, or 40% of 215 mm, say 35% of 225mm.  

But the tyre is measured at the widest point, which may not be the tread,

Which is why a new Pirelli 205/40 R 17 can be bigger than a Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/40 R17

The Dunlop might have a wider tread on the road surface, the Pirelli might have a wide sidewall and a taller sidewall.

Or as in the picture to the right,

a 205/40 R17 like the Pirelli can be bigger than my 215/40 R 17 Ditch Finders.

• Like 2

Do you not rate the Continental Sport contact 5

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 in 205/40 R17 @ around £80,

so if that tyre suits you, why do you need more of a choice,

but there are plenty more of the likes of those in the size, if thats the likes of what you are after.

Which premium tyre exactly do you want that you can't find?

I'm with others in saying there is hardly anything un available across the two sizes we can fit to this car's standard alloys

• 2 months later...

Rather than crash another thread i will revive this one.

So i know a bit about tyres, but happy to take advice.

I want to go order this morning.

So i want 4 x 215/40 R 17 that are good in the wet,

& no worry about summer tyres, i have 205/40's for that.

**So will i go for 'Eagle F1 GSDS' which i can get delivered at under £100 each?**

Or i can get from Black Circle @ £115 and use my Tesco Vouchers.

(I do not need a full wet weather or winter tyre, just safe in the wet.)

Or name me a better one you know of please that are good on a vRS,

215's not 205.

cheers

Eagle F1 GSD3's are a tough tyre to beat George

Although they don't have Shark Skin Technology.

Have only experienced the Eagle F1's in a Golf but they were for me what a premium tyre should be performance, comfort and refinement.  hard to fault

• Like 2

while were on the subject, im in need of some new boots for the front for when i remove the winters. sportcontact 5's on just now, are they still up there with the best? a lot of my driving is just to work and back in a long line of traffic but i do like a blast as and when it allows and living in the sticks we have plenty of corners to go round. im not after the cheapest, just anything thats as good as what i already have will do me or would you just recommend sticking to what i know?

I just got a pair of RS3s fitted and they are noticeably better than the dunlops that I had on before.  Its mainly been dry here since i had them fitted so cant really comment on the wet grip yet.

I paid £188 for a pair fitted

• Like 1

Goodyear Efficient Grip are running well on my partner vRS. She is a crazy redhead and is quick in all conditions on a longish twisty A and B commute daily.

I've also driven this little rocket and grips well in wet or dry and noise levels are better than Conti 2 .

Got then from Blackcircle. She has done 17000 on front, showing about 1mm above warning lump and the rears are still at 4 mm. Not bad in my view.

She got 25000 out of a set of Dunlop maxxx previously. (Note! front and rear were rotated at sevices)

We tried the Goodyears, after reading the tyre test in Autoexpress last year

• Like 1

I was going to fit my new tyres this morning,

But after me bad mouthing the Pirelli Nero Zero i put on  last week, i drove that car this morning, and its done 500 miles with the Pirellis on

& the Steering changed from Factory Setting to less assistance.

Tyres set at 2.5 BAR Front and 2.4 BAR rear.

The car felt really really good, so i thought these tyres can stay on.  

so DOH,

thats me wrong again about the Pirellis and hands up,  they just need running in a bit.

But as i was checking the Pressures, i spotted the damage to the front N/S.

This weekends driver that so nicely run the tyres in has caught a bit of ironwork and damaged the rim (no big Deal)

& Ripped the tyre, & that is a PITA.