Power Steering Only Going Light

seh13

OK I know lots of people have had powersteering problems but I think mine might be different.  So a couple of weeks ago going round a deep corner to the left my steering went very light like being on ice but never heavy.  I live in the country and at the moment they are carting sugar beet everywhere so I assumed it was mud on the road but to be sure I checked my tyres and yes I do need front right.  So that's about to be done but then a couple of days after that I was heading out and my power steering light came on my dashboard after I stopped and turned off then on nothing but I noticed you can now hear the motor whining and when it does and my lights are on they flicker.  My friendly mechanic who will be changing my tyre fears its going to need to go to a dealer to reset the sensor is he right.   Is the problem a big one that will be expensive or easy and cheap to deal with.  I am a female who does not understand cars except for checking oil and water and tyres.

Whilst it's an electric pump (not driven by a belt) it is still a hydraulic system and uses hydraulic fluid (G 004 000 M2). The filler cap is on the top of the pump itself. It doesn't usually need topping up, unless it is leaking.

• Like 1

if you need to check the fluid level, on the Fabia the reservoir is underneath the battery, so the battery needs to come out to access it.

Not necessarily, mines a 04 petrol Elegance and reservoir is easily accessible without removing battery.

My problem is still here after change of tyre and steering being checked and tyre balanced but now the whiring of the power steering motor and when lights are on the flicking of them only happen when the car is cold once the car is just a bit warm so temperture needle is off the mark then the noise stops or gets less noisy and the lights don't flicker.  Please any idea's what is going on it has its MOT this week and must pass.

Sounds like your battery might be low on charge due to the PAS pump running excessively, you should get it fully charged then see if the problem persists, the steering pump should not be running while the car is sitting idling, it should only run when you move the steering wheel.

Well it passed its MOT the light on the dashboard is not coming on and once warm the headlights do not flicker and you can not hear the power steering motor but the steering is now going light and heavy.

Hi, I have a 2003 fabia elegance 1.9Tdi estate and the PS reservoir is exactly as Mannyo stated, under the battery. I've topped it up just once in over 10 years... AFTER A DEALERSHIP SERVICE! I think it must have been a touch low from being new. The battery has to come out on mine and the reservoir itself is a pig to get to, very low down in the engine bay and very confined. Getting the fluid actually in the reservoir is a pig of a job but getting access to it is very easy indeed once the battery is out.

Hope this helps

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Strange question but please bear with me.  Could all this wet weather be affecting my steering and the sensor and pump only I have realised that when the weather is not wet ie not raining my light does not seem to come on I do still have noises from steering motor and lights still flicker but not as much so I was wondering if water could be getting in somehow and if it is what is the best thing to do next.  Also once car is warm flickering seems less and noise from pump you can not hear.

Thanks