Front Axle Rear Bushing - Cupra Tdi Vs Polyurethane

This is a "how long is a..." type of question.

I have the Cupra solid bushes. Definitely a little more vibration/noise low down  - say around 1500rpm under moderate throttle. As for ride harshness, I can't tell the difference.

This is a "how long is a..." type of question.

I have the Cupra solid bushes. Definitely a little more vibration/noise low down  - say around 1500rpm under moderate throttle. As for ride harshness, I can't tell the difference.

No, just wanted to get peoples experience in using polyurethane front axle bushes in regards to harshness and comfort.

I do a lot of miles ...

I have the Cupra bushes, I chose them because my car is a petrol and is a fair bit lighter than the VRS, the main improvement is how much better the car holds it's line while cornering, no more wandering. The PU bushes are well designed and much easier to fit if you don't have access to the correct tool but are much harder so I chose the Cupra bushes which are also cheaper, rover220's contention about 'movement in the correct plane' is marketing babble and utterly meaningless because the Cupra bushes do exactly the same job. To be honest any solid type bush is going to feel like a massive improvement compared to the ghastly standard voided items.

I have the Cupra bushes, I chose them because my car is a petrol and is a fair bit lighter than the VRS, the main improvement is how much better the car holds it's line while cornering, no more wandering. The PU bushes are well designed and much easier to fit if you don't have access to the correct tool but are much harder so I chose the Cupra bushes which are also cheaper, rover220's contention about 'movement in the correct plane' is marketing babble and utterly meaningless because the Cupra bushes do exactly the same job. To be honest any solid type bush is going to feel like a massive improvement compared to the ghastly standard voided items.

Its not blurb but pure fact.

You make it sound like the Powerflex bushes are the ONLY bushes which will offer this astonishing engineering improvement over standard bushes, whereas any non-voided bush will do exactly the same thing.

Why are you INSISTING that the OP who has a lighter petrol car like mine fit rock SOLID bushes at greater expense than necessary, you're all over his threads telling him to fit Powerflex to EVERYTHING when he doesn't need to because he isn't a modder, because this is a technical forum for us everyday drivers as well, I do actually have Powerflex front wishbone bushes on mine because they don't affect the comfort at all, they are an excellent product but they're not for everyone.

He isn't fitting them himself, a mechanic is doing it, the mechanic will have the correct tool to fit the Cupra bushes and with that tool fitting is a breeze, he doesn't want to writhe around in a puddle trying to measure the ARB so he can order the correct parts, the mechanic can sort it.

I had Powerflex throughout my Golf 16v and it was HARSH, handling was great but comfort, notsomuch!

Thanks for all the feedback, sorry to mention - the car is a PD 1.9tdi.

So, just to summarise - polyurethane bushes are not much better than the cupra TDI bushes, and it's harsher, not. Comfortable and noisier?

Edited by posterboy

Sorry posterboy, you have a VRS, I'm referring to another thread which is getting the 'POWERFLEX televangelist' treatment, your front end is significantly heavier than mine, if you're fitting the bushes yourself and you don't have the special tool then PU bushes will probably work out well for you but many people find them a bit too much because they are competition bushes and transmit all the frequencies that rubber bushes damp out.

No, I am paying someone to fit - they have a press.

Cupra TDI bushes = £16 for a pair

Polyurethane bushes = £59

Decisions .....

Cupra TDI

- uprated design, comfortable but will wear out

Polyurethane

- last the cars lifetime, however, harsh and uncomfortable

for a road car, cupra bushes every time mate, they will last a lifetime too, every fabia that need bushes have the cupra ones fitted at work, the only ones that are a bit more vibey are the 1.4tdi cars, the difference in handling is night and day and the front tyres will last much longer too as the geometry will stay correct.

TIP, if he is using a press then he is removing the consoles to do so, they have adjustment built into the bolt holes so get him to spray lightly around them with a can of primer etc so they will leave a shadow to realign them to.

I have powerflex front and rear front wishbone bushes I wouldn't say they're uncomfortable I didn't really notice much of a differance comfort wise between before and after although it was off the road for a week while I had it done

• Like 1