Fabia to Toledo

fabandy

After 3 years of happy, trouble-free motoring, I have just traded my Fabia for a Toledo. Sorry it's not a Rapid but the deal on this ex demo car suited my budget! The steering feels very direct and it's more eager to turn than the Fabia; the throttle is responsive and the 1.2 tsi 105 revs cleanly and pulls effortlessly from low revs; the 6th gear is great for cruising very economically (indicated 53mpg on the motorway) and the 55 litre tank will help on long trips. I am amazed by the boot and rear legroom; Mum also found the rear seat more reclined and supportive than the Fabia. Some have criticised the Rapid interior on BRISKODA but I find the dash simple and elegant and I like the grain of the plastics. There is less intrusion of the centre console than in the Fabia or even the new Octavia. Personally, I think it looks pretty nice - even classy. I am not sure how I could spend so little (10k) to get so much with any other car. The Fabia lost just 5k from new in 3 years and Skoda Insurance quoted me £75 pounds less to re-insure. Still a happy motorist (Skoda built it, even if it has a SEAT badge!) Andy.

After 3 years of happy, trouble-free motoring, I have just traded my Fabia for a Toledo. Sorry it's not a Skoda Rapid but the deal on this ex demo car suited my budget! I also looked at a lovely ex  demo Citigo Sport for the same price but I did the sensible thing so that I can easily accomodate a driving holiday for 3 adults in Europe. The steering feels very direct and it's more eager to turn than the Fabia; the throttle is responsive and the 1.2 tsi 105 revs cleanly and pulls effortlessly from low revs; the 6th gear is great for cruising very economically (indicated 53mpg on the motorway) and the 55 litre tank will help on long trips. I am amazed by the boot and rear legroom; Mum also found the rear seat more reclined and supportive than the Fabia. Some have criticised the Rapid interior on BRISKODA but I find the dash simple and elegant and I like the grain of the plastics. There is less intrusion of the centre console than in the Fabia or even the new Octavia. Personally, I think it looks pretty nice - even classy. I am not sure how I could spend so little (10k) to get so much with any other car. The Fabia lost just 5k from new in 3 years and Skoda Insurance quoted me £75 pounds less to re-insure. Still a happy motorist (Skoda built it, even if it has a SEAT badge!) If you guys ever find you need more space, it might be worth considering? Andy.

Hi Andy

I had the old toledo PD150 and I loved it (until the turbo popped)

Great cars

Most of us are still in love with our Citigos, but thanks for letting us know your impressed with your new motor

Enjoy it fella

Regards

Damo

• Like 1

I had a Rapid (105) Elegance 1.2tsi 6 speed.  Essentially the same car I'd imagine.

Nice car for the money, but no where near as much fun as a Citigo.

Good choice for practicality/price though.

• Like 1

Thanks Damo! I enjoy reading your posts and almost bought the Citigo. Love the way it drives but have been surprised how 'pointy' the new Toledo/Rapid is and thought you guys might like to know if you ever need more space. The Toledo is like a limo (rear legroom) but it doesn't drive like it! I had the original Toledo in 2.0 guise but this one steers really well and the 1.2tsi is great. Lots of happy Skoda (and SEAT) motorists. Best wishes, Andy.

• Like 1

Yes, BossFox. I regularly read those sections and I felt that someone in the Citigo section may not normally consider a Rapid but may be pleasantly surprised by how they drive if they find they need more space. Sorry if it seems repetitive!

They are great cars for the money - although add a few options they get expensive!

Mine was £17.5k list price, same as my previous mk2 fabia vrs estate...

I quite like the honeycomb grills Seat do.

• Like 1

I had a Rapid (105) Elegance 1.2tsi 6 speed. Essentially the same car I'd imagine.

Nice car for the money, but no where near as much fun as a Citigo.

Good choice for practicality/price though.

I'm surprised to hear this comment; I had that tsi 1.2 in a Yeti and it's a fantastic and powerful engine. I love the Citigo, except for its slow, slow inability to accelerate with any torquey feeling at all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You didn't buy a 1.0 Citigo expecting it would set the road on fire did you? :p My previous car was a MK1 Fabia vRS TDI, I'd still take the Citigo any day, feels nippy enough (past 3k rpm) and has more of a fun to drive factor than the Fabia plus far comfier    :)

They do everything they're meant to do very well, albeit in a noisy fashion lol 

Edited by VRSD30

I'm surprised to hear this comment; I had that tsi 1.2 in a Yeti and it's a fantastic and powerful engine. I love the Citigo, except for its slow, slow inability to accelerate with any torquey feeling at all!

Yeti 1.2tsi = 11.4 seconds to 62mph.

Citigo 75 = 13.2 seconds to 62mph.

They are less than two seconds apart so I don't understand how one can be fantastic and powerful and the other slow, slow.

You need to work the Citigo a bit more, as it's naturally aspirated. :)

It's also a lot lighter than a 1.2tsi Yeti and way more fun down a twisty road.  An engine does not make a car fun.  Handling and feel are important too.

We do own both a Citigo and a 1.2tsi Yeti, but I appreciate people may like a certain type of power delivery.  ie, turbo.

Our Citigo is 60ps, 0-62 14.4 secs. It feels slow - seconds make a big difference to feel. All the reviews say that the two varieties of the Citigo engine perform the same until you tech very high revs, but the specs contradict that totally?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have a Toledo 1.6Tdi and it's certainly a very impressive car for the money. My only gripes so far are the overuse of hard plastics, a bit of road noise through the doors and the headlights could be better but probably just better bulbs needed. The positives far outweigh the negatives though so overall I'm very happy. Also around 60mpg on my 50 mile a day round trip commute is fantastic and coupled with the £30 a year road tax makes me happy.  :happy:

• Like 1

It's certainly the handling that makes the Citigo fun not the performance but you can't fault the performance on offer for such a small economical car. As for the Toledo, I do like the power delivery of the 1.2tsi. It revs freely but the torque gives you great pull at around 2000 revs so you don't have to rev to make swift progress. It is no go-cart but the steering is responsive too. By the way, VW have confirmed the 1.0tsi 3 cylinder and hinted that it may yet find it's way into the up!. It will appear first in the Polo, I think, but may go into a Golf even. So what about the Citigo, new Fabia and Rapid/Toledo in the future? Andy.

I thought that engine had been given the green light for the UP GT? Could be wrong :-) I it will be going into the smaller VW 4x4 tiguan! So guessing it will go across almost all if the vw range !

I am not sure they have given the full green light to the up! GT but it is back on the cards anyway. I think the 1.0tsi will appear this spring in the Polo facelift. The little Tiguan should be interesting and the Skoda version even better?