Octy 3 comprehensive review after 600km (1.8TSI 4x4 DSG)

Nice review.

Without looking in the manual - I think you use the key to turn off/ on the passenger airbag and to turn the child locks on for the rear doors.

The key is also used to unlock the drivers door in an emergency by removing the cover on the door handle, where you will find a keyhole.

The emergency start doesn't use the key blade - you place the closed key against the START button and press it with the remote.

• Like 1

Great write up. Thank you.

Re no isofix in the rear middle seat, I find it such a shame because it is a great position for the child seat if you only have one child.

How did you mount the child seat in that position? There's no ISOFIX there and it doesn't seem like you used the seatbelt to secure it...

Yes, unfortunately there is no ISOFIX in the middle, but I really wanted to use this space so I bought a child seat secured only with the belt. It is a Maxi-cosi Priori XP, which requires the seatbelt to go behind it - this is why you can't see it.

As we are waiting for a second baby now, I wanted to mount 2 child seats at the back in such a way, that there is also space for an adult. So I plan using the Maxi-Cosi Priori in the middle, the Maxi-Cosi Pearl with ISOFIX base (which we currently use on my wife's Toyota) to the side...and there should be enough space for somebody to sit with the children at the back if necessary :) TBH I wanted to have ISOFIX at the passenger seat, but it was incompatible with any piece of leather on the seat :/ By the way the car has also a Top-Tether hook in the boot for maximum protection, if you have such a child seat.

Just wanted to add a couple of  points that I forgot last night to the topic: 

post-109676-0-36372600-1390540911_thumb.jpg

I am very fond of the 4-spoke steering wheel, as it provides more options to rest your hands on the highway and personally I think it looks much better than the 3-spoke. The layout of the buttons is nicely thought of and comfortable for your thumbs. The bluetooth is very responsive and using the phone is a joy.

From the official accessories I highly recommend the Octavia rubber foot mats 5E1 061 550. In my old car I was using some rubber mats bought from a local store and they required constant adjusting. These stay on place and I will be using them for the winter. The car also came standard with textile mats, which will wait for now :) I am also very happy with the Rubber/Textile boot mat 5E9 061 163A, because you use the rubber when carrying dirty stuff and then you can flip it to the textile side and it doesn't look like you have a mat at all. The sticky luggage separators work on its textile part, so it is really practical

Well,

first of all congrat for your second baby!

Great review, and thanks for your recommendations on foot and boot mats.

Anyway I miss you when you write that your previous car oversteered. Wasn't it a FWD octy?

In my experience that car (pretty much as any FWD) exhibits an understeering behavior. I'm evaluating 4x4 right to correct that understeer and to improve traction in corners and on wet.

Did I miss something?

Thank you,

Stefano

Of course, you are correct. I mean understeer, obviously. My bad :/

The difference in traction is so big between the two cars. For small hot hatches FWD works most of the time, but the Octy is longer and heavier (as a TDI especially) and it didn't feel very safe in corners

• Like 1

Good review and nice car. Sadly the 1.8 TSI isnt available in the UK, biggest regular engines we get are the 1.4 TSI 140 and the 2.0 TDI 150.

Personally not a big fan of the four spoke wheel, three spoke IMHO looks better and feels nicer in the hands having a bit more of a sporty profile (is basically the same as the vRS wheel without the perforated leather).

Sadly in the UK its not an option on manual cars, only on DSGs if you want paddle shifts. Strangely some UK SE spec cars seem to have been delivered with three spoke MFSW's as standard when normally a four spoke non MF wheel is fitted to these from the factory. Would love it if the same thing happened with my Elegance!

Edited by pipsyp

Personally not a big fan of the four spoke wheel, three spoke IMHO looks better and feels nicer in the hands having a bit more of a sporty profile (is basically the same as the vRS wheel without the perforated leather).

I am very fond of the 4-spoke steering wheel, as it provides more options to rest your hands on the highway and personally I think it looks much better than the 3-spoke. The layout of the buttons is nicely thought of and comfortable for your thumbs. The bluetooth is very responsive and using the phone is a joy.

I agree that the 3-spoke looks a lot nicer and I also agree that the 4-spoke is noticably more comfortable and versatile for the driver.

It was function over form for me and I opted for the 4-spoke multi-function.

• Like 1

Of course, you are correct. I mean understeer, obviously. My bad :/

The difference in traction is so big between the two cars. For small hot hatches FWD works most of the time, but the Octy is longer and heavier (as a TDI especially) and it didn't feel very safe in corners

Thank you for motivating me even more towards the 4x4 for the very same reasons :)

Ciao,

Stefano

P.S.: ...dreaming of a VRS 4x4... :devil:

Edited by Genoa1893

6) It doesn't feel lighter that the previous model, despite this being a key point in Skoda's advertising. Actually the doors on this one feel a lot heavier than my old Octy 2

Well, you can't really compare a FWD hatch, manual to a 4WD Combi DSG when it comes to weight. DSG, 4WD system and Combi bodytype all add to the weight. Also check your equipment list and you will see why your cars "doesn't feel lighter" :)

Nice review.

Without looking in the manual - I think you use the key to turn off/ on the passenger airbag and to turn the child locks on for the rear doors.

The key is also used to unlock the drivers door in an emergency by removing the cover on the door handle, where you will find a keyhole.

The emergency start doesn't use the key blade - you place the closed key against the START button and press it with the remote.

Ah, yes. It does have its uses, thanks mate. I read about the emergency uses in the manual, but I forgot about the airbags

By the way, to correct myself after driving some more. The ride now is really not as harsh as i have described above in the beginning. I think that for the first 500km it was due to the brand new Conti winter tyres and the brakes needing some time to settle.

We have tested today a few potholes and speedbumps that we know of, and it is actually gliding compared to the previous model. Especially for passengers at the back, who also benefit from the longer wheel base, i.e. when feeding the toddler