Octavia Mk1 1.9 Tdi - what oil type , 5-40W or 10-40W

Hello everyone, I just bought a Skoda Octavia mk1  1999 with 1.9 Tdi Diesel Engine ( Tdi)

The car has nearly 350.000 KM (217.000 Miles)

I`m planning to change Engine Oil , but  I dont know what should i use 5-40 Fully synthetic or maybe because the engine has many Km should go for 10-40W Semi Synthetic oil,

Please appraciate any advice,

Thank you,

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply, inact the doubt was because it has a lot of miles,

I think i will go for 5-40w for winter , and 10-40 for summer ,

if you have any ideas or other info please share,

Thank you

@hakkler , Thanks for your feedback, 

I was checking your posts, i saw that you have done a remapp of Ecu in your octavia mk1,

Did you made it in Zagreb? how much it costed and what are the results comparing to oem default ,

Thanks,

Julian

• 1 year later...

If your engine is not using oil I would stick to the correct VAG spec synthetic oil. I do 6-8,000 miles per year and stretch my oil changes to 1 1/2 yearly intervals when I replace all the filters (except the pollen filter which I cannot get at!). I'm not particular towards any specific brand so long as it meets the VAG spec. This is important because of the high surface pressures caused by the fuel injectors which some oils cannot cope with.

If your engine is not using oil I would stick to the correct VAG spec synthetic oil. I do 6-8,000 miles per year and stretch my oil changes to 1 1/2 yearly intervals when I replace all the filters (except the pollen filter which I cannot get at!). I'm not particular towards any specific brand so long as it meets the VAG spec. This is important because of the high surface pressures caused by the fuel injectors which some oils cannot cope with.

I think you are talking about the PD engines, the old 90/110 BHP engines with rotary diesel injector pumps have barely changed since they used them in the early 90s and are not too fussy so long as you keep it clean.