VRS 2 FL DashBoard lights doing some wierd things Help please

Hi Chaps Hoping some one can help me as im at my whits end with my beloved vrs fl 59 plate.

Ok here i go,,

My dash is playing up with regards to the indicators. and a couple of othe lights.

I have a Gen version of vagcom and nothing shows up error code wise.

This lights i have faults with are all dash indicator lights. all external lights work correctly

1. with ingnition on switch/engine off all clocks work fully etc but i have the left hand indicator light on dimly and also the little door open light is on dimly.

2 i start the car as normal the battery light goes out and eml light  so does the indicator light and door open light.

All good untill i indicate right upon which the Left indicator light and cruise control light come on dimly and the right hand idicator light comes on fully and bright as it should.

3. The hazard light switch turns on both dash lights correclty.

Ive also noticed that on start up my drivers side xenon factory fit with corner lights goes out where the pass side stays lit. my be of no significenece.

For a while whilst driving the Left hand dash indicator light was on then one night it flickered and just went out, thats not happened again since.

Ive looked for bad earths etc had the clocks, headlights  out and in pieces checked battery and connections,relays and fuses im completly lost

So am hopeing some kind person can help me please.

Cheers

Gareth..

Edited by gadgetmonkeyvrs

Chap thanks for the heads up. im and Engineer by trade mech and elec and im lost with no idea.. my oil light only comes on dimly when my washer fluid level light or fuel light comes on. also with the idicator problems.. what concern me the most is that it shouldnt really be a earth fault because the lights in the clocks are led. Led s only usually work at the controlled voltage ie 12v 3v 6v so if voltage is not 12 on that specific led then it shouldnt be lit up. confused.com

Good luck with the dealer mine didnt really want to know unless i paid them £106 per hour. gulp.

My old 1.9tdi octavia 2 had from new put 140k on it in 3 yrs no probs at all apart from service items.

My vrs got 38k on it .

once i work out how to post vids and pics will put some up.

Oh and if it helps even if i pull the relay for the dash cluster so dials and maxi dot are off the hazzards and indicators still work but  i still have the same fault when indicating. im sure its not the switch as vag com says all signals are correct

Could be the battery playing up, its of the right age and Octavias do all kind of odd things when low on juice.

Is it a little harder to start in the mornings?

Could be the battery playing up, its of the right age and Octavias do all kind of odd things when low on juice.

Is it a little harder to start in the mornings?

Had it load tested by ATS on there Batt tester they say its all good but i have my doubts as while in the garage dismantelling the car yesterday trying to find this fault whilst using the indicators and ign on with drls the battery went flat in about 2.5 hrs only to find my battery charger was u/s  heavy car to push lol. :whew:

The original batteries are a bit undercooked and 4 years is a typical lifespan. It is cheaper to change the battery than an hours diagnostics at the dealer so maybe worth a try.

• Like 1

Right today i have managed to get some videos up

This is the first with the ignition cycled on and off.

I have noticed that  the low oil level light also comes on but goes off almost immediately.

And if my washer fluid level low or low fuel light come on then the indicator lights come on again even when driving and not being used..

Edited by gadgetmonkeyvrs

Welcome to the club, mine is off to dealers wed will update my thread after I find anything out.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/288040-orange-oil-light-partially-illuminated-with-lights-on/

Thanks bud that would be gratefully received. i have managed to upload a couple of vids today.

For the record i have factory fitted corner reactive xenons and f&r parking sensors.

And the sensors play up to when it rains hard.. but a little blow clears the water out and they behave. very odd.

I had problems with the maxi-dot resetting at random and the dash warning lights doing some strange things; in the end it was the instrument binnacle that was changed. That seemed to do the job.

Sarge.

Fuse box all Ok mate ta did find a dodgy looking earth connection under Air box  removed and cleaned it up but made no difference.

Doh

I`m fitting a tow bar tomorrow night so will be doing electrics at the rear of the car so will have a look there behind the interior panels.

Thanks

I had problems with the maxi-dot resetting at random and the dash warning lights doing some strange things; in the end it was the instrument binnacle that was changed. That seemed to do the job.

Sarge.

Cheers Chap that`s what worries me as my car has run out of warranty from the dealer i bought it from and  guess what the electrical faults started 3 days after this ran out. Booooo

Spoke to my local skoda dealer the have said maybe dash cluster at around 600 quid. or indicator stalk i`m not so sure its the dash as some of the tests i`ve done.

But don`t want to be £1000`s into it going down the skoda dealer route to find the cause unless im 100% sure its the dash cluster.

Tough choice i`ve only had the car 3 months and bought a low miler 59 plate mint because i didn`t expect any probs as i traded in my 220k 07 tdi sport passat for that reason all though had been very good to me.with no faults apart from a electronic hand brake failure  still has all orig clutch dmf and turbo :-(

But My vrs drives so much better and goes like stink..

• 1 year later...

hi all.    got the same symptoms  on my  2009 vrs octavia fl cr  tonight... ie left hand indicator and oil light dimily lit when side and main lights on?

any answers on this strange symptom?

thanks

This must be the third or fourth complaint of this type in the last few months, I wonder if it could be related to the very wet weather?

Either way check out the link I posted here in post #4...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/383236-dim-dash-lights/?hl=%2Bdim#entry4486187

HI ..car last used for a 360 mile round trip over Christmas ..half of which was with lights on .no faults what so ever....

car than not used till yesterday? with faults 1st time ever seen.

when started warning BULB ERROR malfunction came up checked all lights 

was all working........ turned off ignition  ...restarted all was ok till 1/2 mile up road...

than dimly lit  lights on combination meter was noticed..

high resistance some where??

a bulb about to fail???

It is common to miss one of the rear tail lights, there are four in each cluster, the two outer most bulbs are easily missed when they blow.

Also some people forget to check the number plate lights...

SkodaOctaviaRearLightBulbs.jpg

RearLightCluster.jpg

hi .thanks for images / info etc

but when checked all four lights in  each cluster was deffo working to form the C image..

not been in car since tuesday to see if problem of lights is still there.

will report back later when driven again.. thanks.

• Like 1

Strange that so many are going down with this fault.

With the Octavias seemingly being very sensitive on the electrical side it's really put me off making any changes and fitting items like LED bulbs that can cause upset!

Hi all. I have exactly the same problem with my 62 octavia vrs. Door open light comes on very dimly, and also left hand indicator light very dimly when not selected on. Played around a bit but I am still absolutely boggled by why it's playing up, only done 30k and it's a peach of a car.

Personally I'd have a look at the gateway control unit. They sit up above the BCM behind the dash cluster (accessed from below though). You can also get into them if you take the wiper linkage out and the panel that goes behind them. This panel gives issue in wet weather and let's water in. Drops straight onto gateway and as that's the comms interface between all the control units it creates all sorts of issues.

It might not be but it's an easy one to check.

• 1 year later...

I would remove the battery and allow the car to fully discharge on case there are any errors held in the system. This will allow the car to reset and start a fresh and see if the fault persists. Have you informed the garage where you purchased the car from as that will be covered under their guarantee.

Many thanks for the reply I've also just noticed with the keys out when I open the boot the left indicator comes on dimly. Also one bulb dead in boot... Just replaced but made no difference.

I have noticed both boot lights have a small capacitor near the bulb wonder if that's at fault. Off now in the rain to disconnect battery lol...

Sorry did not read all your post

Yes spoke to garage he only sells Skoda VW and Audi and in 15 years says he's never seen it but he's asking a friend at a main dealer.

Problem is he's 100 miles from me but think he will help me.