Reasons I went for Manual instead of DSG (in case you are asking the same question?)

Reasons I Opted for DSG instead of manual.

1. Traffic.. sick of changing gear in stop start traffic and working the clutch pedal endlessly.......which tends to happen on my trips upto Manchester to see my brother and his family.

2. Relaxing drive, don't need to change gear, can just relax when driving.

3. Country lanes, roundabouts and hills where I live, no need to be up and down the gears, let the DSG box do its thing.

4. Personal preference, I no longer feel the need the thrash the car around the place, if I did I would probably have gone for an Audi A6 3.0TFSI with a 400bhp remap (With DSG of course!)

5. Parents who may want to borrow the car occasionally (mother can only drive an Auto and my father has had Auto's for the last 25 years).

6. Servicing costs of the DSG (Oil change every 40K) is no more expensive than changing a clutch on a manual.. 

7. Long distance driving (Which I do at least 6 times per year, including two 1600 mile round trips to the alps and back and at least four round trips of 760 miles), easier in an Auto car.

8. Is the extra £40pm on the lease cost worth all of the above......in my eyes definately

If you want it and can offord it and have provisions made for the future (Yes I was also in financial services previously) then why not?.

At the end of the day it's personal preference and lifestyle choice :happy:

Edited by tamkyo101
  • Like 3

Traditional torque converter gearboxes are getting so good now that Id question whether DSG has a long term future in low end mass produced cars.

I'd be inclined to agree. Yep, I like cars, and like driving, and I'm man enough to admit, I like a good autobox. I used to be a trade plate driver, so I've driven pretty much every make of car in manual and auto, and I, personally, don't like DSG, particularly on diesels. 

A lot of people will think I'm an idiot, but my benchmark for a good autobox is the old-shape Hyundai i30. Granted, it's got no tiptronic, but it's responsive, smooth, unintrusive, and always on the right cog. 

It's an oil change at 60k km and it's not that costly. Come on people, we've all bought a not so cheap car... I think we can all handle £100 in expenses every 60k, right?

It was about £300 every 40000 miles in my Golf GTI DSG. But worth every penny of it.

I am sure it will be worth every penny on my vRS TDI too, when it's made.

On my Golf it's faster off the line than most, if not all equivalent manuals.

Also, stop-start works properly with a DSG rather than the long winded process with the manual.

Defo personal preference.

2nd octet DSG.

90k in my first one, 18k in my current one.

Drive different roads, lots of traffic, love it.

I also like driving a manual and don't have any problems going fro none to the other

I asked a sales bod about DSG longevity, he said they were supposedly good for 110,000 miles. I don't know if it was a general comment or specifically about the 7 speed sealed one in my imminent Superb 1.8 TSi Elegance.

Also, stop-start works properly with a DSG rather than the long winded process with the manual.

Having stop-start enabled/disabled on my car makes absolutely no difference to my mpg. My theory is that unless the car stands for more that 20-30 seconds, more fuel is burned on startup than is saved during the stopped period.

So, stuck at traffic lights for 1min = good, but stop-start traffic every 10 seconds or can be negative due to excessive fuel use upon each start. Maybe....

Edited by Orville