Clutch Change to SMF step by step guide? Sticky?

mk1pat

Hi All,

I have a genuine g60 flywheel new bolts and a VR6 sachs clutch, All i need now is a step by step guide? Anyone know what tools i will require?

can i do it alone?

need to do it this weekend... as its on its last legs and cant afford to pay anyone to do it...

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

cheers paddy

I've been hoping to get my clutch done this weekend, with the same setup you're looking at.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2703042

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/transmission-removal-mk4-vw-jetta-tdi-golf-new-beetle/

This video looks very helpful.

Where did you end up locating the genuine flywheel from?

I think I maybe a little optimistic to try and get the clutch done this weekend. I need to get the cam belt done as well and that's the priority.

is quite a straight job,but you need patience...for a DYIer I rate it as a 7/10 dificulty,as a certified mechanic I can say that

Few tips from me....search on google "1.8t replacing clutch" and you'll find many forums with step by step procedure,but noone of them is complete,but reading them (most important) together will cover everything.

Concentrate more on bolts and not shredded them and less on torque numbers

And one more thing ...remove that flange (we call it that way) on the car and drop the tranny after,will be much easyer and then put the tranny back and then the flange

CKZ_Trans.gif

I've been hoping to get my clutch done this weekend, with the same setup you're looking at.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/transmission-removal-mk4-vw-jetta-tdi-golf-new-beetle/

I think I maybe a little optimistic to try and get the clutch done this weekend. I need to get the cam belt done as well and that's the priority.

That is by far the best explanation of dual mass flywheel system I've seen, I've been in the motor trade for 20years that video is spot on.

Well found cox377

Edited by chrisw4266

OT: the DMF is not that bad...a just remove the tranny for a fork replacement and found my DMF and clutch in top condition.

Was replaced 37.000 mile ago

So don;t blame the DMF is not made of cheese :)

no,not allen....this is called an M type

3140.jpg

aaaand I'm sorry is an M10 not 12

so the size is M10,I was confused and I remembered that smaller engines like 1.6 have M8.

M type is a male type and has 12 points Spline_XZN_M10.jpg

TX type is a male type and has 6 points T30_Torx.jpg

Allen is a male type and has 6 poits (hex shape) 12196010.jpg

E type is a female type and has 6 points 11pc_torx_socket_bits_set_with_holder_fe

These are he most common types of special tools and every DIYer must have them

Edited by IulianE

Common conversion seems to be G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch. This gives you single mass and lighter clutch pedal and can handle more power do a search on this forum loads of people have fitted this.

I have been struggling to locate a flywheel at sensible money. 127 is so cheap lll

How did it go?

I got my cambelt done!

I did it on my L&K! Had to take the bloody head light out to get the intercooler pipe and washer fluid bottle out!! It turned into a bit of a pig and some how took me 10 hours from start to finish! The Elegance I have was no where near as tricky for initial strip down.

Getting the washer bottle out, even with the headlight out, was like trying to get a washing machine through a cat flap!

J

Edited by cox377

Yeah,

All went well managed to compete the job without removing the drive shafts. Both cups on each side need to come off, and the drivers lower ball joint need to be split to give an extra inch or to for clearance to re attach the cup. 

The drive shafts were M12 so were the DMF bolts.

May do a complete write up if people are interested.

Thanks,

Hi,

Well its a tried and tested conversion on here? ECS do a kit so cant be that bad, the 02j gearbox was originally fitted with a SMF in the vr6 and abf 2.0 16v gti mk3 golfs so cant see why it would be a problem?

anyone else have any thoughts on this?

cheers paddy

Crapcable in wasn't the SMF that killed your bearings.

This video explains why a DMF to SMF will have no adverse effect or increased vibration. Great vid for explaining how DMF works.

Edited by chrisw4266