Aerial differences for DAB?

Gyp

My Yeti has Amundsen+ radio, so (I assume) the roof aerial takes care of the AM/FM & GPS.

Is the roof aerial for units with DAB different, and if so are they easily retrofittable?

Or do I just need to run a cable?

At the moment, the performance of the Alpine windscreen mounted DAB aerial falls short of the previous Pure exernally (glass) mounted one that I used, but I'd rather not install that again if possible

The only way to tell is if you look at the aerial base and see if it has the black Fakra connector for DAB, you'll need to drop the headliner enough to have a look. I poke a phone camera with a flash and take a picture. If not you can swap it for an aerial base that does:

The part number is 6R0 035 501 D The D is very important as that specifies DAB. -about £90

I have fitted one to a Fabia with good results.

The part number is 6R0 035 501 D The D is very important as that specifies DAB. -about £90

That interesting - does the Fab have Diversity (two FM aerial connections and a second antenna in the rear window)?

Did the 6R (Polo) have an FM connection as well as DAB?

j0hn - Yes it's the sharkfin type with the aerial mast at the rear that is fitted to the Rapid, Yeti, Roomster, Fabia II and Octavia II with SatNav that looks like this:

6rapass_zps336e50d1.jpg

The current Fabia/Roomster does indeed have diversity -the second aerial is in the windscreen and is a vertical black line in the glass that runs down from the top

All current VWs sold in the UK have DAB and FM/AM as standard with the exception of the Up! There is an aerial base that is just for radio, part number: 6R0035501A

_571_zps907cc891.jpg

On  the current VW stuff there is an amplifier in the aerial base that receives power from the head unit via the FM connection (white Fakra, phantom power) which is why people often run in to radio reception problems when fitting an aftermarket stereo as the aerial amp doesn't receive any power.

• Like 2

That's the most useful information on DAB aerials that I've seen in two years of trying to do this properly, thanks.

I've scoured ETKA and the internet and never really come up with what I was looking for.

j0hn - Yes it's the sharkfin type with the aerial mast at the rear that is fitted to the Rapid, Yeti, Roomster, Fabia II and Octavia II with SatNav that looks like this:

6rapass_zps336e50d1.jpg

That's what I thought - I'm pretty sure that's the aerial Blaupunkt sell under their own branding and it's nearly £200, so if that's available from VW for less than £100, then it's worth buying.

Before I put the RCD510DAB into the Octavia, I'd already replaced one amplified aerial base because it got water damaged. I noticed that it (the OE part) was made by Calearo, so when I fitted the RCD, I bought the Calearo DAB aerial from dabonwheels.co.uk. This had the same connection for FM (not white Fakra as above, more like DIN) as the OE aerial and black Fakra for DAB.

Calearo%20amplified%20roof%20mount%20DAB

It has a separate 12v feed rather than phantom power like the standard fit aerial bases. I never connected power but DAB reception was almost crystal clear for over 2 years until it almost completely dropped out (with FM) and I think it's because the aerial base got wet and gave up. On Monday I put the original aerial AM/FM aerial back in and put one of the Autoleads windscreen film aerials on the front windscreen, which is also active with phantom power, and it seems OK but I'd really like a proper integrated roof mount again.

6R0 035 501 D looks like this:

IMAG0610.jpg

White is AM/FM, black is DAB, blue is GPS and marroon is phone. How does the separate Diversity aerial work? Is it a separate feed that joins the loom in the dash so they're both connected to one plug, is that right? The AM/FM connection doesn't feed from the aerial base into a connection or a junction box of the two aerials? I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you need the Diversity aerial in the glass in order for this to work properly?

I've seen this from Kufatec and on ebay that fit in the tailgate because the Diversity is in the rear window.

$(KGrHqJ,!mIFJIC8,s3MBSZ-6ySUkw~~60_12.J

$T2eC16dHJHQFFhiC9KtVBSZ-+PT(Lg~~60_12.J

I can't really grasp how they work though and it looks like they replace the FM aerial completely.

Those Polo aerials are on ebay for less than £40 delivered (used).

The diversity function is carried out by the head unit utilising two completely separate FM aerials (one on the roof and one in the glass somewhere if fitted) and as far as I'm aware is only relevant for FM radio reception- the back of your RCD510 will have the 2 white Fakra connections side by side and this is the only place they come together -If your car doesn't have a diversity aerial, you can get one of these:

T2eC16RwsE9suwydzfBRTE3JrN-Q60_57_zps14c

which will join both of the connections on the back of the head unit to the one aerial.

Yes that's right and I've got one of those adapters, I know the Diversity function comes from two separate aerials, but I don't recall whether the two connections in the one plug (as above) are two cables taped together in a loom in the dash or if they were actually joined.

Looks like the sharkfin is the way to go if you've got a sat nav and a phone kit.

The two aerial feeds are taped together in the loom and join in the double plug similar to the one on the adapter above, but they are not electrically connected in any way if that makes sense.

Sorry didn't see your additional bit about the Kufatec kit -I don't know too much about these bits so can't comment I'm afraid.

If you don't have satnav/phone, no point in spending the extra on the sharkfin (unless you prefer the looks or are thinking of upgrading later) you might as well just get the Polo aerial off eBay

The shark fin is active - for radio reception, all of the power is provided by the FM connection (I believe that it is actually 12V, but don't quote me) no external power source required if you use the OEM one.

This is a table of Fakra connections that may prove useful for identification:

fakracodes_zpsf1f04925.jpg

• Like 1

Also to add - Fakra Z the 'Waterblue' (turquoise) colour is universal and is able to connect with any of the others -useful if you need to purchase additional cabling. All of the other plugs are shaped in such a way that you could not plug two different colours together.

• 1 month later...

The only way to tell is if you look at the aerial base and see if it has the black Fakra connector for DAB, you'll need to drop the headliner enough to have a look. I poke a phone camera with a flash and take a picture. If not you can swap it for an aerial base that does:

Just got to the point where I'm about to install the DAB again... did you find the 6R0 035 501 D gave noticably better results than the window mounted aerial or was it simply tidier?

After my disappointment with the Alpine window mount, I'm intending to either go for the generic (but recommeded) window mount from dabonwheels, or if it's worth the investment, a 6R0 035 501 D.

I'd appreciate your thoughts

• 1 month later...

I am looking for GPS antena for my OCT II fl

I need part number: 6R0 035 501 C

but on ebay I found

6R0 035 501 E - I know. this is for car with TV

Could I install in my OCT ?

I ask because I do not see where to conect FM antena

$_12.JPG

instade white which is for FM on this item is grenn for TV, blue for GPS Bordeaux for GSM and 4th for what?????

Edited by kreza

• 1 year later...

There is one on eBay for FM/GPS/GSM/DAB. £55 new + postage with best offer available.

Search for 'Columbus DAB' and you should find it.

Item 151680171966 is one of them.