9400 Service Interval

I always thought the first service was due at 10,000 miles. My car begs to differ and is now demanding it's service at 9400 miles. I've asked the dealer to carry out the service anyway whilst it's in for another issue. However I can't help feeling short changed. What if you ignore the cars suggestion and stick to 10,000? Does that invalidate the warranty?

Is it on a variable schedule by any chance?

I'm not sure what the maximum and minimum intervals will be but it will vary on the way the car has been driven.

Just a suggestion. I'm sure you can check what it's set to in the stereo car settings somewhere.

• Like 1

Is it on a variable schedule by any chance?

I'm not sure what the maximum and minimum intervals will be but it will vary on the way the car has been driven.

Just a suggestion. I'm sure you can check what it's set to in the stereo car settings somewhere.

Max 18600, min 9400
  • Like 1

This is "interesting".  I was initially told by the dealers that the service interval was 10,000 (9,400) miles until I told them that my previous VAG Alhambra with the same engine had a variable interval (up to 20,000 miles or 2 years).On checking the Service Schedule, he confirmed that my engine did indeed have long life oil in and could go up to 20,000 miles! So they reset the computer back to variable.  I have now done about 12000 miles and the computer hasn't asked me to have a service yet. So all appear OK.

I may be wrong, but I think the dealers are a bit naughty here by setting the cars for 10,000 when they don't need it. 

Have a read of the vehicle data page (inside front page) of the Service Schedule.  There are 6 rows x 7 columns of 3 alphanumeric codes.  If the code on the 4th column, 3rd row is "Q16" your engine can have Variable Service Interval. It should cut your service cost by half!

This is "interesting".  I was initially told by the dealers that the service interval was 10,000 (9,400) miles until I told them that my previous VAG Alhambra with the same engine had a variable interval (up to 20,000 miles or 2 years).On checking the Service Schedule, he confirmed that my engine did indeed have long life oil in and could go up to 20,000 miles! So they reset the computer back to variable.  I have now done about 12000 miles and the computer hasn't asked me to have a service yet. So all appear OK.

I may be wrong, but I think the dealers are a bit naughty here by setting the cars for 10,000 when they don't need it. 

Have a read of the vehicle data page (inside front page) of the Service Schedule.  There are 6 rows x 7 columns of 3 alphanumeric codes.  If the code on the 4th column, 3rd row is "Q16" your engine can have Variable Service Interval. It should cut your service cost by half!

Ok nice one, I will have a look when I get it back.

I was told my car was variable servicing, but because I have free servicing it would have to be serviced every 10000 miles.

I think dealers are trying to get a bit of servicing money back over the 42 month PCP term. If you do 15000 a year then the three free services are used in two years.

I always thought the first service was due at 10,000 miles. My car begs to differ and is now demanding it's service at 9400 miles. I've asked the dealer to carry out the service anyway whilst it's in for another issue. However I can't help feeling short changed. What if you ignore the cars suggestion and stick to 10,000? Does that invalidate the warranty?

is it year old yet...

Yes, the car can do up to 20k on variable servicing but the free services that come with the finance are for fixed 10k intervals.

I know on the mk2, once you had been on fixed you couldn't go back to variable. Is this still the case?

Just bear in mind the 3 years free servicing deal is 3 free services, one every 10k miles up to 30k miles or 3 years.  The free serving deal doesn't cover variable servicing which is a pain as that's what i'd have mine on but i'll just get it changed after it's last free one.

• Like 1

So in actual fact it's really only one and a half free services and then you are stuck with short service intervals for the life of the car. Nice one Skoda! The only people who score are those that do less than 10,000 / year.

So in actual fact it's really only one and a half free services and then you are stuck with short service intervals for the life of the car. Nice one Skoda! The only people who score are those that do less than 10,000 / year.

You can get it put onto variable at anytime, the car is the same for either, it's only the actual service that's different as there's more checks involved and longlife oil due to the longer intervals.

I was told my car was variable servicing, but because I have free servicing it would have to be serviced every 10000 miles.

I think dealers are trying to get a bit of servicing money back over the 42 month PCP term. If you do 15000 a year then the three free services are used in two years.

This is true but youd lose out if you just got your variable free as it stops after 30K so

10,000 = free

20,000 = free

30,000 = free

switch to variable, reset

48,000 (ish) = ££££

OR

switch to variable

18,000 (ish) = free

36,000 (ish) = ££££

54,000 (ish) = ££££

• Like 1