NEW PURCHASE - SKODA YETI OUTDOOR 170 4x4 - manual or DSG

mawosola

Glad to be here. I am looking to purchase a SKODA YETI OUTDOOR 170 4x4 and am currently trying to decide on a manual or DSG.

I would appreciate some advice from experienced Skoda enthusiasts. In particular the driving experience from both transmissions, ownership and running costs and any recommendations on which is the best. I have never driven an auto before but as I get older I fancy a relaxed drive and hence considering the DSG.

Which do you think is the best option generally?

Depends on personal preferences, driving style, annual mileage etc. IMHO you really need to try a car with DSG first, all the other considerations probably come after that. Personally I prefer the DSG.

170 DSG Elegance is definately available. I have one on order!

I test drove a 170 manual and 140 DSG (no 170 DSG at the dealership to try). I thought the DSG was head and shoulders above the manual. Very smooth and responsive. The gearbox always seemed to be in the right gear for the situation. Although the test drive was on flat going. I gather the DSG does occasionally bog down a little when a lower gear would be more appropriate when going up hill. But I guess dropping it into Sport mode would be appropriate for such situations.

I know the DSG has slightly worse fuel economy. But in my opinion this trade off is worth it.

• Like 2

170 DSG Elegance is definately available. I have one on order!

I test drove a 170 manual and 140 DSG (no 170 DSG at the dealership to try). I thought the DSG was head and shoulders above the manual. Very smooth and responsive. The gearbox always seemed to be in the right gear for the situation. Although the test drive was on flat going. I gather the DSG does occasionally bog down a little when a lower gear would be more appropriate when going up hill. But I guess dropping it into Sport mode would be appropriate for such situations.

I know the DSG has slightly worse fuel economy. But in my opinion this trade off is worth it.

Is yours a 4x4? because that is what he wants & I couldn't find a 4x4 170 DSG listed.

The problem with the DSG is that they are still using the old wet clutch 6 speed box, this is why the fuel economy suffers.

If and when they catch up and Skoda are allowed to use the newer boxes then you'll get a 7 speed that gives better fuel economy.

But that might not happen until Yeti mk2.

Is yours a 4x4? because that is what he wants & I couldn't find a 4x4 170 DSG listed.

You can't get the 170 in a front wheel drive variant, they are all 4x4.

Have a look on Skoda.co.uk but remember to look at the Outdoor model rather than the Indoor.

Thank you. The 170 DSG Elegance is on the UK configurator and I can add some options such as sat nav, etc. I am worried about issues with the DSG bogging down and not changing smoothly and I'm nort sure if this common with the new 2014 Skoda. I will be doing town driving (60%) motorway (20%) and country (20%).

What servicing requirements will the DSG need over and above the manual, e.g., oil change, service intervals, etc?

Anyone with a DSG 170 or 140 have any regrets or concerns to share with me?

The problem with the DSG is that they are still using the old wet clutch 6 speed box, this is why the fuel economy suffers.

If and when they catch up and Skoda are allowed to use the newer boxes then you'll get a 7 speed that gives better fuel economy.

But that might not happen until Yeti mk2.

You can't get the 170 in a front wheel drive variant, they are all 4x4.

Have a look on Skoda.co.uk but remember to look at the Outdoor model rather than the Indoor.

I understand what you're saying, but can you order a 4x4 170 DSG?

Glad to be here. I am looking to purchase a SKODA YETI OUTDOOR 170 4x4 and am currently trying to decide on a manual or DSG....

Hi Mawosola.  Discussed at length here - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/251949-this-dsg-thing/  Ultimately, it seems to come down to personal preference, although many who have/have had a DSG Yeti have said they'd never go manual again. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this will help, but I had an Audi A3 2.0TDI 140bhp DSG with paddle shifts and it was fantastic EXCEPT if you drove in 'auto' mode you could catch the box out under the following circumstances - coming up to a roundabout for example, the box would change down on approach but if you saw that the roundabout was clear and wanted to accelerate, the box woul still be in too high a gear (with no torque or power) to accelerate at a speed that you would want too! It was embarrassing waiting for the box to catch up, and slightly dangerous if you forgot about this lag and tried to enter a roundabout into a traffic stream and ended up not being able to accelerate fast enough.

Sport mode helped as the box would change down earlier, but also hung onto revs longer making for less relaxed driving under normal driving conditions. Using the paddles to select an appropriate gear would also work, but you could not drive it as an auto - you had to use manual intervention to save embarrassment.

I did drive a petrol 1.8T with DSG and Paddles and it was a completely different drive without this problem but it had a much better torque at lower revs than the diesel which was flat below about 1300 rpm.

I have not driven a Yeti 140bhp with DSG but if it drove the same as my Audi A3 did, I would not buy one. Having said that, with the right engine and paddles, the DSG is a great auto with built in fun. The gear changes are seamless and dead smooth. Acceleration is quicker than manual and I don't think the fuel consumption is very different in normal driving conditions as in each gear the engine and drive train are fully engaged - not slipping like a conventional auto box. Also the box selects the correct gear for the conditions and adapts to your driving style which is also good for economy.

Hope this helps. If anybody has a Yeti 140bhp DSG, perhaps they could comment on my experience for comparison purposes.

... the diesel ...was flat below about 1300 rpm....  

My 140 is doing 30 in 5th at about those revs - idling along.  If you need real acceleration from that, there probably wouldn't be much difference in the respective times taken either to change down to 3rd on a manual box or for a DSG to do it for you. 

Hope this helps. If anybody has a Yeti 140bhp DSG, perhaps they could comment on my experience for comparison purposes.  

See the link in my #15 above, but as for comparisons, I have no idea what hardware or software changes might have been made between your Audi A3 and my Yeti MY13

I have driven both the 2.0 VW Touran (from 2004) and the 140 DSG Yeti (from 2011) and would never consider going manual again (my wife has an auto Micra too). Yes, there can be some hesitancy pulling away fron roundabouts but you quickly adjust to that. Otherwise, the DSG box gives you all the control you need with the sport setting and the ability to select changes if required (though I rarely use either). The car is always in the right gear and this will, inevitably, reduce wear and tear. The difference in fuel consumption is insignificant. Of course, if gear changing is something you enjoy intrinsically, then DSG is not for you.

• Like 1

If you do a search in the Yeti forum there are plenty of posts on this topic. I seem to be one of the very few who would not have another DSG. I just drive around the niggles now but it still irritates me and my opinions of the DSG have not changed. There is nothing wrong with my DSG I have been back to the dealers and tried another and it is exactly the same.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/299986-dsg-question/

Hello All,

I had a long test drive of a 140 BHP Elegance DSG today and it was a trouble free drive. The DSG perform well, some hesitancy at takeoff but nothing to write home about. Roundabout driving went well. The accelerator and breaks controlled the gear change perfectly  (I drove in D most of the time) and the car drove well. There was some vibrations at standstill with the gear in D but shifting into N eliminates this noise. The gear change worked well in all road conditions, uphill and down, and reversing. I think I will give the 170 BHP DSG a go and well, time will tell. I need a break from manual. Next step is to find a discount new 170 BHP Elegance Outdoor. Wish me luck.

I had an Octy with the DSG and I never really got to love it. Changing up was great, kick down was great, but if you left it in Auto it wasn't very smooth as you slowed to a stop :( However, if I was buying a Yeti and was going to be using it in deep snow or something similar, then I may well go for the DSG. Pulling away in a manual in 'heavy going' situations sometimes requires a load of revs and a gentle clutch, just to get moving. My Sedici was great in the white stuff, but I winced when manoeuvring in deep snow, something an auto would help mask :)   (not my wincing, that's obvious for all to see when it happens :D )

Loved my dsg (Fabia VRS) and although I have no idea whether this would have made it go bang one day I shifted between D and S at roundabouts to ensure it went through them in the right gear. I'd buy the dsg through choice.