I have attached a few photos of my insurance claim. I was the victim of a black BMW taking the Audi A3 wing mirror off while in was driving behind the Audi. My VRS was showered with the mirror glass. I need a new windscreen , mirror, headlight. I need a respray to repair the scrapes down to the metal over half of the car!

post-109145-0-12833400-1392675441_thumb.jpg

post-109145-0-27932200-1392675463_thumb.jpg

post-109145-0-56948000-1392675485_thumb.jpg

If you can get their details (police) you can inform your insurance company on a nortification only basis and sue them (BMW DRIVER) directly for the costs.

Your insurance company can increase your premiuim even though it is not your fault.

• Like 1

Ouch. Sorry to see that - I was hit by a lorry a couple of months after picking up my car, but a couple of weeks must be gutting.

Have you contacted Skoda ensure? You should get their "cover" for free with a new Skoda. Current experience is they've been very good, far better than my insurance company.

Your insurance company can increase your premiuim even though it is not your fault.

Not quite right, the insurers will reduce any no claims bonus if they cannot recover costs from a third party insurer.

In this case, and any other, the whole essence would be to prove who was to blame for the collision, for instance if the BMW driver were to claim the A3 strayed onto the wrong side of the road there may well be a protracted argument without witness evidence.

It is a 60 mph road. Me and audi were doing about 45 as it was the day after the gales so we were not pushing it. The BMW i estimate was doing speed limit. So adding the speeds together the mirror glass was impacted at around 100mph.

Got to agree with cyclist comment. I am glad I was not a motor cyclist. It would have cut through leathers.

Not quite right, the insurers will reduce any no claims bonus if they cannot recover costs from a third party insurer.

In this case, and any other, the whole essence would be to prove who was to blame for the collision, for instance if the BMW driver were to claim the A3 strayed onto the wrong side of the road there may well be a protracted argument without witness evidence.

mmmm exactly right  lol

Its even been on watchdog, the fact that you have made a claim (even against the other insurer ) has made you a higher risk, you have after all just been involved in an accident haven't you?

Remember this simple phrase. " the insurance company never loses"

* translated from latin

**  complete lie

This is why I have a dash-cam fitted. It's virtually impossible for a human to see and remember a number plate at such speeds, but a decent dash-cam can do so easily. I have one of these installed and highly recommend it.

Orville, do you have it connected to 12v all the time ? Where on windscreen do you mount it? I would like to mount it near the mirror but would not want 12v hanging around all the time.

Orville, do you have it connected to 12v all the time ? Where on windscreen do you mount it? I would like to mount it near the mirror but would not want 12v hanging around all the time.

I mount it beside the rear view mirror. The supplied 12v cable is very long, so I feed it around the window and tuck the cable behind the trim. I do not have my Octy yet, but cabling was pretty easy to hide within both my wife's Megane and my 3-Series. On the Megane I fed the cable under and around the the glovebox towards the centre console, making the cable almost invisible. With the BM I simply fed the cable in a C around the window, and then routed down from the centre of the dash.

I leave the camera connected at all times, but the 12v is only live when the ignition is turned on. The camera itself continues to record for ~1 minute after the ignition is turned off by using it's own internal battery, before shutting down gracefully.

If you wire it to a permanent 12v feed/fuse, you can activate the movement detection function so that it record any movement around the car when parked. I have not tested this.

When my Octy arrives around March 1st I will probably install both front and rear cameras. At £70 each it may seem expensive, but at least I'll be able to prove who is at fault if ever there is a disputed insurance claim. Video quality is extremely good during daylight, and more than sufficient to record passing plates when dark.