Check bulb notice

rufusmcc

Hi, 

I have been getting the "check bulb" notice on the vehicle status on the MFD with the orange warning light on the dash.

Firstly with the "Check the rear revering left light (but it was the right that eventually blown), but when check it was ok. Eventually the right bulb did go so I replaced it and it and everything was OK.

Now the "check the rear side lights" has come up, but not all of the time. When it does I have got out and checked but found the bulbs working OK. Does anybody know a cause or do I just change the rear side light bulbs as 1 is about to go. It is starting to get annoying when the bulb warning light comes on.

Dougie

I had this as well in the end they changed the light cluster on both rear sides and the problem has not returned 16 months, well now it might having just said it hasn't.

Edited by Danny 57

I also got this warning a few times on my last car, once on the rear and several times on the front.  The front parking lights (the part that lights up in the inner chamber and IMO does not serve any useful purpose!) are referred to as 'side lights' and the problem was with the wiring connected to the bulb.  The rear light was a straight replacement but be careful with the front ones as there are different types available and if you don't replace with exactly the same ones they will blow straight away.

Had the same warning today on my 58 plate. Said that left rear side light was out. Got out and looked at it, all looked good. Give it a gentle tap and to my surprise, there was another bulb that came on! Looks like there are 2 on top of each other by the edge that's by the boot.

Maybe it's 1 of those on yours that may be giving the error.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I believe there are three bulbs in all in the rear cluster.  I have the same intermittent warning come up for rear drivers side but the light has not been out any time I have looked.  It is annoying though.  I may check the wiring is secure and the bulb has not been jarred loose by the boot being banged shut.

Had a similar problem on my Superb, the original rear bulbs seem to fail momentarily (and set off the bulb fail warning, obviously) only for the filament to weld/spark itself back together again for the rest of the journey.

In my case, when the bulb was warming up with use, it would go wrong once (not when I checked it). When I held the bulb in my hand whilst powered on, if I tapped it, I could get a tiny spark out of the filament. For me, replacing them cured the fault - the 2nd original bulb failed 4 months after the first. No further problems in the last 16 months.

The brake light bulbs on Superb are a single filament bulb that also is used at reduced power as a normal back light as well, i.e. replacing the job of the old 21w/5w stop /tail bulb (380) from some years ago.

HTH.

• 8 months later...

So I got a check bulb orange warning and "check front right side light" on the MFD this morning on our L&K CR170. I'd just driven 15 miles with no warning and turned off for a couple of mins. On re-starting I got the warning. By the time I stopped to check the front lights, both DRLs looked to be working fine and another turn off and on cleared the warning.

AFAIK the side lights on our L&K are the DRLs which use LEDs? what else should I be looking out for?

You will also have a halogen main beam bulb in the housing next to the xenons.  So it could be that bulb.  I'm not sure if the FL L&K uses the LED lights as parking lights or not, but the housing that contains the halogen main beam bulb may also have a little w5w wedge bulb for side / parking lights.  So it could be one of those incandescent bulbs that are faulty.

You will also have a halogen main beam bulb in the housing next to the xenons.  So it could be that bulb.  I'm not sure if the FL L&K uses the LED lights as parking lights or not, but the housing that contains the halogen main beam bulb may also have a little w5w wedge bulb for side / parking lights.  So it could be one of those incandescent bulbs that are faulty.

There is only one halogen bulb in the housing next to the xenons with the FL model (at least that is the arrangement on mine).  On the pre-FL there was also a small bulb as well for parking lights.  The LEDs work as parking lights on the FL.  I have seen a few faulty LED lights on VAG cars recently so wouldn't be surprised if it an LED acting up.

Did you replace any bulbs recently BTW - I used to get warnings like that on my last Superb and it turned out to be one of the replacement bulbs (the halogen for main beam in my case) fitted incorrectly which caused intermittent warnings

Did you replace any bulbs recently BTW - I used to get warnings like that on my last Superb and it turned out to be one of the replacement bulbs (the halogen for main beam in my case) fitted incorrectly which caused intermittent warnings

no - the car was brand new in July. I guess if it happens again, I'll drop it in to the dealers who can have a poke around.....