Hunt for the new car, Superb it is

After 4+ years driving an Octavia vRS FL, the time has come to offer it to my wife for a few more years and get a new car.

I love the new Octavia vRS but here, in Ireland, the waiting time is 8 months hence no chance to get it before 2015! Crazy.

I dont really like the Octavia saloon. The estate is so-so I think but I think the bSuperb II Fl is a lovely car-especially the estate.

This is what I built myself. http://cc-cloud.skoda-auto.com/CarCard/51056926

Wondering what people think of teh choice.

and remove the rest assistance, it is useless and you end up ignoring it or switching it off.

Good to know. Thanks. Not to expensive and I've fallen asleep twice in 4 years while driving... Not REM sleep cycle, just dozed off...

I'd pick a different colour and add the panoramic roof.

Color hasnt been decided yet. Will have to see a few in the garage when I order car. Would absolutely love to go for panoramic roof but, cant afford it./ Already stretched too much.

That lead time is crazy alright!  Good choice going for the Superb, you won't be disappointed with the L&K, the spec is great.  I only ordered two minor things on mine, the rest assistant (which does work!) and the double sun visors, which is very useful.  I also changed the wheels from the two tone, black/silver combo to all silver which gives a more polished look.  Remember the dash and steering wheel etc are all brown as well when you are considering other possible colours.  The colour is personal of course, I went for magnetic brown with ivory interior which I think looks really good and a few others on here have that too.  Heated screen is good option, I didn't get it and kind of regret it.  Its not easy to see the colours combos in the dealers especially for the L&K in Ireland.

The estate is so-so I think but I think the bSuperb II Fl is a lovely car-especially the estate.

This is what I built myself. http://cc-cloud.skoda-auto.com/CarCard/51056926

Wondering what people think of teh choice.

Well, can only say +1 for your choice, and I do like the choice of color ... ;-)

• Like 1

Nice spec, similar to mine, few points,

1. On my L&K it comes with a parcel shelf that partially retracts when boot is opened - this is configured via MFD  - so the 79 for parcel shelf I think is for a fully electronic retractable one - which I personally do not think worth it.

2. I have the sun roof and have to say its very nice - I have been surprised how much I have used it during the wet winter we have had.

3. Have a word with your dealer and see what they can find at other dealers and sitting in the delivery yards of Skoda land - my dealer was able to find my car already built just sitting at port of exit, so I had the spec I wanted PLUS it arrived in under 3 weeks.

4. My car is in the L&K metallic brown which in some lights goes black, I think it looks great and really goes well with the brown interior. A lot of questions have been asked on this forum about the color scheme but I would suggest you need if possible to see it in real life.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

I have 18" wheels but if I were to choose again I'd go for 16" or 17" as our roads are just not good enough for 18". One unseen pothole and it's £150 at least for a new tyre. 

Good point. The only option is a 17'' trifid wheel which doesntlook very nice AND it has to be purchased with rough road package which is an extra 250 Euro

Good point. The only option is a 17'' trifid wheel which doesntlook very nice AND it has to be purchased with rough road package which is an extra 250 Euro

The 18s on the L&K are very nice and obviously unique to the model but the most practical are 17s.  The potholes are a nightmare and I'm terrified of doing damage to mine but not easy with our roads as I'm sure you well know!  I'm getting some tyre noise at higher speeds too and it probably due to the tyre size.

• Like 1

My comments would be:

- I would skip 18's and sport suspension, unless you drive on brand new roads. Normal suspension + 17's (225/45) is on the edge of comfort...(also Superb's suspension could be less noisy, but that is general comment for VAG - the same in Passat and A6).

- Under question - heated windscreen - some people say, that heater elements annoys them - when window is at certain angle towards the sun. 

• Like 1

My comments would be:

- I would skip 18's and sport suspension, unless you drive on brand new roads. Normal suspension + 17's (225/45) is on the edge of comfort...(also Superb's suspension could be less noisy, but that is general comment for VAG - the same in Passat and A6).

- Under question - heated windscreen - some people say, that heater elements annoys them - when window is at certain angle towards the sun. 

Thanks for that. There seems to be a concensus that 18" wheels are overkill. I will try to get a decent set of 17". Roads in Ireland are not same as in Germany

Thanks for that. There seems to be a concensus that 18" wheels are overkill. I will try to get a decent set of 17". Roads in Ireland are not same as in Germany

from my point of view having also just bought a Superb Combi having driven an '09 Octavia VRS for 4 years (and Fabia VRS for 3 years before that) I find the standard suspension really offputting in the Superb in comparision. Regardless of the road quality it just feels far too bouncy and full of roll, it makes me think of it at every corner. I would 100% opt for the sport suspension without question and fully intend to lower mine by at least 20mm in the coming weeks/months.

Not at all, love my 18's

gallery_44439_980_88955.jpg

gallery_44439_980_58335.jpg

I do not think, that you can call it a concensus. It is very individual, some people call standard suspension too soft, some - too stiff. Better you test it yourself. Also in depends what car person was using before. Btw - difference between 17' and 18' should not be that big, 17's use 225/45 tires, 18 - 225/40, so 11,25mm difference in height. Not that big to make huge difference. And it won't be difference in noise, as the width is the same.

Sport suspension might be an issue in deep snow or over speed bumps.

I do not think, that you can call it a concensus. It is very individual, some people call standard suspension too soft, some - too stiff. Better you test it yourself. Also in depends what car person was using before. Btw - difference between 17' and 18' should not be that big, 17's use 225/45 tires, 18 - 225/40, so 11,25mm difference in height. Not that big to make huge difference. And it won't be difference in noise, as the width is the same.

Sport suspension might be an issue in deep snow or over speed bumps.

Roads in Ireland are bad and speed bumpsbuimps are all of different speciffication. Just concerned for the potential 18'' alloys (although only 1.2 cm 'thinner' than 17'') to getdamaged. I will see

Roads in Ireland are bad and speed bumpsbuimps are all of different speciffication. Just concerned for the potential 18'' alloys (although only 1.2 cm 'thinner' than 17'') to getdamaged. I will see

Like LS108 says there is not a huge difference in profile and it is a case of practicality versus aesthetics at the end of day.  If you can find one try driving a model with 18s first.  I am not trying to put you off as on balance I would still have them but like I said you just have to be extra vigilant.  An L&K without the 'signature' wheels may not look right and possibly the elegance would be better choice then.  If you did go with the L&K and get 17s maybe keep the 18" rims for when you want to trade in?  I went through the same dilemma!

Mine is a 2012, the (fantastic) panoramic roof was standard, - isn't it now? The 18s look gorgeous but are problematical on potholed Welsh roads.

Specs in Ireland differ.  We have to pay for the heated screen/TV/sunroof!  The roof is a €1,500 option!

As mentioned before heated windscreen and pana sunroof are well worth it. Add wood trim if you want a classy mobile gentlemans club appearance.  Personally I think the Superb Estate in Silver is a bit hard. The car is too big to carry it off. I agonised for ages before deciding on Amythyst Purple with Ivory interior. It gave the body some depth and the ivory really lightens up the interior