Hunt for the new car, Superb it is

Unfortunately importing a brand new car into Ireland usually means paying VAT in Ireland (on top of vehicle registration tax!), regardless of how much you paid for it in the UK.  Cars must be over six months old from date of registration to avoid the VAT.  Might be some way around that with a dealer but not sure. Importing is actually very popular here and can be a good option with the right deal and a few here on the forum have done it. Warranty can be an issue sometimes with imports and of course you have to watch for cars that have been clocked which is a big problem! 

Unfortunately importing a brand new car into Ireland usually means paying VAT in Ireland (on top of vehicle registration tax!), regardless of how much you paid for it in the UK.  Cars must be over six months old from date of registration to avoid the VAT.  Might be some way around that with a dealer but not sure. Importing is actually very popular here and can be a good option with the right deal and a few here on the forum have done it. Warranty can be an issue sometimes with imports and of course you have to watch for cars that have been clocked which is a big problem! 

There is an EU directive which requires VAT to be paid in the country of destination on all imported "new means of transport", which will include motor vehicles taken into use less than 6 months ago and with less than 6000kms.

There are provisions to export new private motor vehicles without VAT from the UK (and elsewhere) so that VAT can be paid in the destination country. The rules and procedures are quite complex though but an internet search will explain the detail.

Yeah that's sounds familiar now that you mention it. It's not straightforward though and standard rate VAT in Ireland at 23% doesn't help the decision. Some Dealers are purchasing from the UK (obviously zero rated vat for the dealer) and selling on to customers here. Where the specs are higher you might benefit alright but no significant savings. BMW seem to promote that quite a bit at the moment. The big savings are in the fully loaded 2/3 + year old cars with low milleage, FSH etc.

Placed order on Thursday for Superb LK FL. Traded in my wive's car, got what I was hoping for it and cant wait (10-12 weeks) to get my new Superb. The built is similar to above specs I posted. The only change is colour. I went for Metal Grey Metallic. In error, I removed lowered suspension but, decided to keep the 18'' wheels. Everything else, stayed the same. Curious to know if the Columbus I ordered has a TV tuner. Heard that in the UK, they have it ion the L&K. The specs on Irish website say nothing about that.

Now, quick question. In the past, when I ordered my previous new cars, i would have received pretty much a contract with details of built etc. On the day I placed my order, I was asked to pay a deposit of 1000 Euro and hand over the details of the built. Other than having a CC slip that I paid 1000 Euro, I have no other paperwork from them. Was told that the sales manager would email me everything else in the next few days. Is that the norm these days with Skoda?

• Like 1

Good choice!  No TV in Ireland on the L&K with the Columbus, it appears to an option but couldn't possibly justify it  We don't get the heated windscreen either or the sunroof on the combi AFAIK.  I received a copy of the order from my dealer and got a few updates on build dates etc during the waiting period. 10 weeks lead time seems normal enough these days if you have extras ordered

Good choice!  No TV in Ireland on the L&K with the Columbus, it appears to an option but couldn't possibly justify it  We don't get the heated windscreen either or the sunroof on the combi AFAIK.  I received a copy of the order from my dealer and got a few updates on build dates etc during the waiting period. 10 weeks lead time seems normal enough these days if you have extras ordered

Thanks for that.

Had to order heated windscreen but couldn't afford the sunroof as it would have brought the built to close to 42 K.

How long after you ordered the car did you get copy of order? Is the maxidot color or monochrome?

BTW, extras ordered:

• Hill hold control (for ESP) and TPM (Tyre Pressure Monitor)
  • Rear side airbags
  • Alloy wheels "SIRIUS" 7,5J x 18" 4 pcs
  • Temporary space saver spare wheel (only for 17" and 18" alloy wheels)
  • KESSY - keyless central door locking with engine start/-stop function, ESP incl. ABS + MSR + ASR + EDS + HBA
  • Rest assistant (drowsiness detection)
  • Heated windscreen
  • Telephone preparation with Bluetooth GSM III (UHV + rSAP) and Maxi-dot
  • 'Columbus' colour satellite navigation system with DAB and Maxi-dot
  • Luggage compartment cover
  • Roll-up sun screen for rear side windows
Edited by dubincalling

<p>

Thanks for that.

Had to order heated windscreen but couldn't afford the sunroof as it would have brought the built to close to 42 K.

How long after you ordered the car did you get copy of order? Is the maxidot color or monochrome?

BTW, extras ordered:

• Hill hold control (for ESP) and TPM (Tyre Pressure Monitor)
  • Rear side airbags
  • Alloy wheels "SIRIUS" 7,5J x 18" 4 pcs
  • Temporary space saver spare wheel (only for 17" and 18" alloy wheels)
  • KESSY - keyless central door locking with engine start/-stop function, ESP incl. ABS + MSR + ASR + EDS + HBA
  • Rest assistant (drowsiness detection)
  • Heated windscreen
  • Telephone preparation with Bluetooth GSM III (UHV + rSAP) and Maxi-dot
  • 'Columbus' colour satellite navigation system with DAB and Maxi-dot
  • Luggage compartment cover
  • Roll-up sun screen for rear side windows

I didn't order DAB, maybe that changes TV option? Was going to order heated windscreen but heard about reflection issues at night. I ordered rest assist also and double visors. Was KESSy an option, should have been standard on l&k? I don't need to worry too much about wall rear as no kids so bags and blinds not an issue but very useful if you have regular passengers. I received copy on the day of the deal. I have bought my last six cars from same dealer so have no issue with updates etc as level of service there is top class. Maxidot is basic mono and a pity they didn't go for colour in the Columbus like the new Octavia.

I didn't order DAB, maybe that changes TV option? Was going to order heated windscreen but heard about reflection issues at night. I ordered rest assist also and double visors. Was KESSy an option, should have been standard on l&k? I don't need to worry too much about wall rear as no kids so bags and blinds not an issue but very useful if you have regular passengers. I received copy on the day of the deal. I have bought my last six cars from same dealer so have no issue with updates etc as level of service there is top class. Maxidot is basic mono and a pity they didn't go for colour in the Columbus like the new Octavia.

Kessy was free of charge but had to be added. My car was ordered on Thursday but haven't received anything since.. Shame the MaxiDot isn't colour

Got a built date of week 16. Does anyone know, how long does it take from a build week to delivery in Ireland?

My order went through in early November (week 45) and I had a few extras.  I think the build was week 49 but not 100% certain on that. Anyway I had it delivered first week of January and that was with the Christmas period as well.  I was told about four weeks from build.  My last Superb was about the same - ordered mid November and had it by third week of January.  Hope that's some help